Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Kefka...

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The Emperor in FFII destroyed towns and threw people into slavery on his conquest to take over the world. After his death he came back from HELL with Hell's palace to finish his conquest.

In FFV, FREAKING HUGE sections of the world were sucked into the void and destroyed forever.

Kefka wasn't the only villian to cause any damage.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like Kefka. He's a strange villain because sometimes he almost says things that are quite the opposite of the way he behaves. For example, (SPOILER)when he is about to throw Emperor Gestahl's body off of the Floating Continent (right after killing him with the power of the statues) he begins by saying "Poor old" then trails off and decides Gestahl deserves it. Personally, it makes me curious to wonder if he really is crazy or not.

However, I'm not that far into WoR yet, so maybe I'll learn more later.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Let me express my appreciation for Kefka. He was a great departure from the ussual 'ME AM EVIL' reptilian bosses or the cookie cutter Darth Vader wannabes in cruel looking armor.
    Probably because I liked the Batman movie so much as a kid, I really liked FF6 as well. Kefka is like the Joker. He's a psychopath and the comic relief of the story.
    I think he's tragic too, in his own way....although it's hard to feel sorry for him. He was an experimental magitek knight, and the flawed procedures resulted in him becoming psychotic (why they still let him be in charge of stuff I don't know).

Gotta agree, Kefka is the best FF villain. Though Sephiroth and Kuja come very close, in my opinion. What i don't understand is that people seem to have not too much trouble with Kefka's jester get-up, but get all "omgzwtflolzorz!" about Kuja's outfit, which is just as ..weird. See past the wacky outift, and you'll see a true puppetmaster in Kuja..After all, he managed to bring the whole world at war without them realising Kuja is the real enemy instead of queen Brahne.

I agree, Kuja is my second favorite villain. I just wish he wore some real pants. lol
    Not ALL White Mages are girls!

i think i can settle this....
    kefka = best overall ff villion
    sephiroth = most BAD ASS ff villion

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Personally, I think Kefka is a crazed man-woman-clown-thingie. He/she/it should be shot....He laughs weird too.

About Shuyin:

Shuyin was driven mostly by anger. He saw Yuna in the Farplane place thingie and thought she was Lenne. He realized she wasn't, got tricked by her into thinking she WAS Lenne, and got mad. He found Vegnagun and got to work.

~*~Celes~*~

EDIT: Please use the edit button instead of double posting. -Murder

I do not like Kefka,he is so evil.
    PEACE
    and
    LOVE

Kefka <3

Kefka > Sephiroth / Sorceress Adel / Sorceress Ultimecia / Kuja

He's the most evil villian of the lot. (well, of the ones I've played) Even Kuja's not as heartless as Kefka & Sephiroth is a pussy compared to Kefka. I think Sorceress Adel & Kefka would make a great double act, as I think Adel is the only one who comes anywhere near his evilness..

I love how horrible he is to the Emperor on the Floating Island... So heartless.

My favorite villian in the series is Kuja, and Kefka's probably my second. Sephiroth is by far the coolest villian, but not the greatest. Kuja was someone I actually understood. Kefka was a great villian, even more evil than Kuja, but in the end it felt like he was just a psychotic jester. As people have said before, hes like an uber-evil Zorn and Thorn. But Kuja... Theres just something about him that I found so incredibly awesome. People never take him seriously because he looks like a chick, but he really knew what he was doing. I just don't feel that Kefka can beat him.

Hm, really? I never cared for Kefka too much.

He seemed too... cliché. His reason for existing was too be the evil bad guy dressed like a clown. "Evil" bad guys are okay but don't hold a special place in my heart. I prefer the messed up realistic actual people type bad guys. The ones who have motivation, and actually seem like they could be human.

Just my opinion though. Kefka was funny if nothing else.

I think he's better than Sephiroth.
    Ok

Kefka's evilness is unmatched by no one in all of FF.. He's Cool, I enjoy fighting him and he makes me laugh

Personally, I've never liked Kefka all that much. Yes, he does have a great laugh, but the thing is, he's overly cliched. He's evil, insane, and power-hungry, and I've seen just a few too many villains that fit into that mold to be able to really like any of them. To me, a good villain has to be well-developed as a character, have understandable motivations, and honestly believe that what they're doing is for the greater good. It's more realistic that way--even Hitler believed in his cause and thought he was doing the right thing, after all.

Kefka, on the other hand, just comes across as evil and insane--and not a very well done evil and insane, either. Insane bad guys, if done well, can be both believable and extremely scary. Kefka is neither.

But really, I don't think he's any better or worse than any of the other FF villains. They all tend to more or less fit into the same mold. The Final Fantasy games had the whole Warriors of Light vs. Evil thing in the beginning, and while the stories have gotten way more complex since then, they still have a tendency to show things as stark black and white. And there's nothing wrong with that--you can pull off a perfectly good story that way (and FF does on a regular basis). But personally, I prefer more realistic stories, where everything is in a shade of gray. (Hence my obsession with the Xeno series.)

Anyway, that's just my two cents.
    However, the above is just my opinion and could be completely wrong.

"If there's one thing I believe, it's that I don't know anything and anything can happen." ~ Amy Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lilian
    To me, a good villain has to be well-developed as a character, have understandable motivations, and honestly believe that what they're doing is for the greater good.
    He's well-developed, it's easy to understand he wants to control the world, and he believes what he's doing is for his greater good. Makes sense.

It's more realistic that way--even Hitler believed in his cause and thought he was doing the right thing, after all.
    This is a video game, buddy, not 1930s Germany. Maybe a little less serious, yathink?

Kefka, on the other hand, just comes across as evil and insane--and not a very well done evil and insane, either. Insane bad guys, if done well, can be both believable and extremely scary. Kefka is neither.
    Again, this is a video game. It's not easy to make a video game character scary, especially with 16-bit graphics. I'd say Kefka is realistic and believable enough, and as scary as he could be at the time.

But really, I don't think he's any better or worse than any of the other FF villains. They all tend to more or less fit into the same mold. The Final Fantasy games had the whole Warriors of Light vs. Evil thing in the beginning, and while the stories have gotten way more complex since then, they still have a tendency to show things as stark black and white. And there's nothing wrong with that--you can pull off a perfectly good story that way (and FF does on a regular basis). But personally, I prefer more realistic stories, where everything is in a shade of gray. (Hence my obsession with the Xeno series.)
    Where I do see your point, and somewhat agree with you (on all your points), again, this is a game. Why would they make a game where the player must decide what's right or wrong to do? Instead, it's much easier for all parties to simply say "this is what's wrong, fix it", and we go on our merry way. Was there a question that we should destroy Kefka and the Statues, because without curative magic, it'd be much harder to help people? Or to take all the espers instead of leaving some for others? What about the airship, wouldn't that serve a better purpose as a commercial airliner, instead of our own personal taxi?