Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th "Dream" I notice something...(Spoilers if you haven't seen it)

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default 4th "Dream" I notice something...(Spoilers if you haven't seen it)

This doesn't really help with the game and is probly pointless but i'm gonna say anyway

You know the "Dream" where Laguna is fighting a dragon in a film? Well is it me or his movements Seifer like?

During his "Fight" with the dragon he holds his gun blade forward - the same way Seifer does in battles and when he is doing some acting before the fight he does the "Slash-Slash-Click" movement/sound that Seifer does a lot of times.

Now I noticed this. Laguna is playing a Knight in this film and there is a woman who is playng a Sorceress in the film too. Sorcress Knight? Do you think that thes seemingly pointless action simularites where put there for a reason? Maybe all Sorceress Knights did stuff like that. And Seifer just does it because he want's to be one?

Hmm.... I didn't catch that one.... go figure. I think I forgot a little, but what gives you any idea that Laguna would know how to be the whole Sorceress Knight thing that Siefer imitated... somehow, I don't think that scene made it to the movie, ASSUMING it was eventually completed, and then Siefer watched it in the first place. Although it would certainly patch a couple plot holes.... maybe THAT's his "romantic dream". Geez, that's warped enough to make sence.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

or maybe seifer and laguna just dont' know how to handle gunblades?

Hey I personally think that's just another one of thoose details that make FF8 such a great game! I mean, think about it, so many things are connected, and the Laguna dreams always had something special. Anyway, good observation seifer. Cheers mate
    "I'll be alright..."
    "...Because I'm not alone"
    "If I scream out, they will answer"

Remember, in the end you are not alone. You will always have your friends, and as long as there is something to fight for, there is hope for redemption.

He wants to be a sorceress knight (Like in all the old movies!) Its just a theory but, hey...why not?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey I personally think that's just another one of thoose details that make FF8 such a great game!
    That's what I like a bout FF8...No forget that. It's what I like about SQUARE they love their "Details" dropped around the place don't they?

It could also be a matter of combat styles specifically. I don't know what they modelled the "gunblade" off of, but especially in japanese and other oriental weapons arts (moreso in their unnarmed- but that's a different subject) there are usually quite a few seperate ways to use the same weaponry. And considering how long these designers have been pulling up combat references to determine which technology to use... having two gunblade styles is not unlikely at all. And since Seifer and Laguna are supposed to be seperated from Squall, despite the same weapon, they get the "odd" style.

Laguna's swordplay - Seifer styled - was most likely pixel play. That is to say, the image of Laguna was simply pasted over the pre-existing Seifer model. Any literary devices intended or not are simply the products of economical programming.

"Maybe all Sorceress Knights did stuff like that. And Seifer just does it because he want's to be one?"

Laguna is by no means a Sorceress knight: quite the contrary, he is the slayer of Adel ... needless to say, a sorceress! On the other hand, Seifer, the "good" hero of the story (as if any story really has one) defended the true divine ruler and with her, the ancien’ regime - whole heartedly.

Conclusion...It must be programming cos' Laguna aint' a knight. If anything it could be interpreted as an insult toward the regime he so despised and eventually overthrew!
    Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You? You are Quistis! You're a popular one. Life keeps you busy,
    but you still try to slow down once in a while and enjoy the
    world around you, in spite of how busy you are. You're in good
    shape, and you can't help being a bit of a flirt.

Take the Final Fantasy 8 Test here!

Laguna was a knight in the movie though, remember? If it did get made, and Seifer saw it, it could theoretically be the basis of his "romantic dream".

Of course, Laguna said that he hadn't used a gunblade since training. So he was just using it the same way everyone in the G-Army learns to use it. So Seifer learned that method of using it too, while Squall found one that suited him better.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

"Laguna was a knight in the movie though, remember? "

Indeed...By this logic, Harrison Ford qualifies as an archeologist in accordance with his "indiana" role of '81...

"Of course, Laguna said that he hadn't used a gunblade since training. So he was just using it the same way everyone in the G-Army learns to use it."

This is probably the most sensible literary answer yet; and, I’ll concede it may be more accurate than my very own programming concept!
    Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You? You are Quistis! You're a popular one. Life keeps you busy,

Quote Originally Posted by Besimudo
    "Laguna was a knight in the movie though, remember? "

Indeed...By this logic, Harrison Ford qualifies as an archeologist in accordance with his "indiana" role of '81...

"Of course, Laguna said that he hadn't used a gunblade since training. So he was just using it the same way everyone in the G-Army learns to use it."

This is probably the most sensible literary answer yet; and, I’ll concede it may be more accurate than my very own programming concept!
    So according to your programming concept:

Laguna & his Gunblade style = Laguna in Training in Galbadia Soldier
    So this mean:
    Seifer & (his gunblade style = Laguna's gunblade style) = Seifer in Training in Galbadia Soldier ???

Quote Originally Posted by seiyuimore
    So according to your programming concept:

Laguna & his Gunblade style = Laguna in Training in Galbadia Soldier
    So this mean:
    Seifer & (his gunblade style = Laguna's gunblade style) = Seifer in Training in Galbadia Soldier ???
    *Shakes head*

His programming concept was that the image of Laguna was just pasted over Seifer's model. You're mixing the two concepts.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade
    *Shakes head*

His programming concept was that the image of Laguna was just pasted over Seifer's model. You're mixing the two concepts.
    Then how Seifer pasting Laguna's style?
    1. By watching the movie ?
    2. By training in Galbadia?

If by watching the movie, Selphie should know Laguna as well and when she was in dream world, she would recognise Laguna as movie star directly

Ok...

There are two theories at present: (1) that Laguna's pose was intended as a literary hint towards his past, or (2) that the programmers were lazy and simply used the Seifer sword style and duplicated it for Laguna's actions.

Also, Laguna's film seemed a bit mmmm ... B-grade. The likelyhood of Selphie - a teen girl who's preference for drama and reality T.V., is assumed - veiwing a B-grade 17 years old film is very slim.

Quote Originally Posted by seiyuimore
    Then how Seifer pasting Laguna's style?
    1. By watching the movie ?
    2. By training in Galbadia?

If by watching the movie, Selphie should know Laguna as well and when she was in dream world, she would recognise Laguna as movie star directly
    You're missing the point. What I mean is that Laguna's way of handling a gunblade was obviously a standard way to do so. It was the way used by the G-Army. But you are incorrect in assuming that they would be the only ones to use that style. I just think that the G-Army used the most common/easy to learn style available (believing that they would develop their own is idiocy), and that Seifer also used that style. Squall simply found another style and used it instead.