Thread: Corrupt save data :(

Default Corrupt save data :(

Hey guys im new here and VERY new to the game ,i have played EVERY Final Fantasy game and they are the best games ever ,, my fav is FF7 ofcourse and i cant wait for the DVD ..

well the problem is this ... i have gotten a USED game from a store in Bristol England where i was just 1 week ago ..i manage to get the game for only 15 £ and thats REALLY cheap and i was very pleased with that but the thing is this i hvae played it for 1 day now .and everyime i SAVE i get the succsessfull " FILE SAVED" thing ..BUT when return to the mermory card again to look at my save it says " FILE CORRUPTED" this is REALLY enoyin cus i cant save my progress and i hva played all day and i dunnot wanna turn it off i have just beaten the Fire boss in the cave .

So i may ask this i ahve a FAKE memory card has this anythin to do with it ? or somethng ..cus it works FINE with my other games so im really confused. and second if this is a GAME error can i send email to the developers or somethin hehe :P im just pissed cus i dunno what to do has any one had this problem thanks in advance

Best regards " Glacius Creations "

The problem is not in your game, it is in your memory card. I highly reccommend getting a Nintendo brand memory card and swapping all of your files over to that before it's too late. Things like that have happened to me countless times on my off-brand memory card.
    Sigless

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Yup, sounds like a bad memory card. I have to say though, you really won't run into any problems on most 3rd party memory cards. I've been using the same 4 PSX memory cards for YEARS now and have yet to experience any problems with any except for my original grey Sony one O.o

Usually you'll get problems with the "extra page" memory cards. Those are the ones I've heard the most complaints about. Aside from that, I almost exclusively buy the Mad Katz and Naki memory cards these days.

Speaking of Mad Katz, do their controllers suck, or what? I mean, I had a Gamecube one, and when I plugged it in, it's like the controller slot was still empty! The controller wouldn't do anything!
    When you walk away
    You don't hear me say
    Please, oh baby don't go
    Simple and clean is the
    Way that you're makin'
    Me feel tonight
    It's hard to let it go

Heh...Kingdom Hearts moment there.

Quote Originally Posted by vireblaze
    Speaking of Mad Katz, do their controllers suck, or what? I mean, I had a Gamecube one, and when I plugged it in, it's like the controller slot was still empty! The controller wouldn't do anything!
    I think so. Though they have exceptional memory card reliability, their controllers (well, GC ones anyway) aren't too hot. I remember all three of my familes controllers would just go nuts when you plugged them in. The person (or thing or cursor) in the game would either never stop moving in one direction or would just turn around in tight circles all the time. Luckily, we exchanged them for Nintendo brand ones and they worked just fine.

Mad Catz is more of a game accessory. Don't y'think?
    When you walk away
    You don't hear me say
    Please, oh baby don't go
    Simple and clean is the
    Way that you're makin'
    Me feel tonight
    It's hard to let it go

Heh...Kingdom Hearts moment there.

Δ As above, so below ∇ crashNUMBERS's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All I have to say is, It's a gamecube what do you expect. The controllers are always spacing out and making the icons move by itself. That things all beat up...

Well, like others have said, it's not the game, it's the memory card. Something is causing it to fail the check that tells the gamecube that the card's okay. It's possible that it really does have corrupt information, in which case you'd have to reinitialize the card (thus erasing any and all save data on it) to return it to normal but there's a chance that's not what's happening to you.

I've found that Memory cards are just like old video game cartridges. if there's a little dust inside of them, the console won't read the data that's on them. Now if you have an SNES (or any other form of game console that reads cartridges), you'll know what I'll tell you to do next:

1. Swallow all of your spit so that you'll have a dry mouth. Moisture is bad for electronics.

2. Take the memory card out of the gamecube. Make sure that the gamecube's off before you do this.

3. Gently (but not too Gently) blow inside of the cavity with the connectors, from side to side.

4. Put the card back into the gamecube and continue with normal operation.

Now if this doesn't work the first time, you may have to repeat the process. Normally you'll have to try this 6-7 times, maybe more or maybe less. What this does is knock the dust loose so that the gamecube can properly read the card. Now I might like to say that this doesn't always work. However, considering the amount of time that good save files take to make, I think it's at least worth a shot.

Then there's also the possibility that the memory card reader has somehow gotten some dust in it. You'll want to try and blow that out in the same manner as you did with the card itself. Just remember to push in the dust covers while doing this because it'll be worthless to blow on them.

Now, if that doesn't work, then you'll have to reinitialize the card. I think that the gamecube will prompt this to you automatically if it thinks the save data is corrupt. It's been a while since I had this happen to me last so I don't remember. It'll erase all of the data on the card in an attempt to reset it back to normal.

If that doesn't get it working, then your card is a flimsy piece of garbage. Throw it away and get a new one. Preferably one under the Nintendo brand name because they'll be the most reliable ones seeing as how they're the makers of the Gamecube. While you're at it, you might want to buy two so that you can backup your data just incase something like this happens again. Afterall, they are electronic devices so failures like this are bound to happen eventually. Also, never touch the memory card while the power to the cube is on and never turn off the cube while it's saving. Those are two sure fire ways to corrupt your data and as you have recently found out, that isn't a good thing.

I hope that the info I gave you helps. It's save me many a time with all sorts of gaming related devices.

Oh and before I leave:
    Quote Originally Posted by crash26821
    All I have to say is, It's a gamecube what do you expect. The controllers are always spacing out and making the icons move by itself. That things all beat up...
    It sounds like your controller's not set in nuterual mode. Just put down and pull out your controller and put it back into the 'cube when things like that start to happen. Given that the joysticks and buttons are all in their default positions while doing this, everything should work just fine. You see, while turning it on, the gamecube assumes whatever positions the joysticks are in is the direction they're being pushed when left alone. So if your joysticks are out of synch when turning the gamecube on, then the gamecube will think you're pushing them even while you're not. The same thing goes for the R/L buttons too actually. Pulling out the controller and putting it back in restarts that process. There's also a button combination that you can press to do the same thing but I forgot what it was =-/ . I'm assuming that the springs inside of the controller are okay, right? The joysticks aren't limp or stuckish feeling are they?

Well, my gamecube is always in perfect working order, unless there has been some form of user error and belive me, I don't keep it in an ideal state. That's why I'm able to give you both advice right now .
    Look, I'm a strange person. When I was younger, nothing used to make me laugh any harder then when somebody made fun of me. Unfortunatly for me, my mockers looked at me strangely and stopped when I did this. Go figure.

either his controller is not neutral or he has a Pelican controller. First party Nintendo products and Nyko Memory cards have NEVER let me down, except my first N64 controller... I beat it to death until the stick fell off. As for the memory card, the sector the game is saving to might be bad, see if you can't copy some dummy data to fill that space and try saving again. Hopefully that helps : )

good evening, miss Tifa's Real Lover(really's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tonepoet
    Well, like others have said, it's not the game, it's the memory card. Something is causing it to fail the check that tells the gamecube that the card's okay. It's possible that it really does have corrupt information, in which case you'd have to reinitialize the card (thus erasing any and all save data on it) to return it to normal but there's a chance that's not what's happening to you.

I've found that Memory cards are just like old video game cartridges. if there's a little dust inside of them, the console won't read the data that's on them. Now if you have an SNES (or any other form of game console that reads cartridges), you'll know what I'll tell you to do next:

1. Swallow all of your spit so that you'll have a dry mouth. Moisture is bad for electronics.

2. Take the memory card out of the gamecube. Make sure that the gamecube's off before you do this.

3. Gently (but not too Gently) blow inside of the cavity with the connectors, from side to side.

4. Put the card back into the gamecube and continue with normal operation.

Now if this doesn't work the first time, you may have to repeat the process. Normally you'll have to try this 6-7 times, maybe more or maybe less. What this does is knock the dust loose so that the gamecube can properly read the card. Now I might like to say that this doesn't always work. However, considering the amount of time that good save files take to make, I think it's at least worth a shot.

Then there's also the possibility that the memory card reader has somehow gotten some dust in it. You'll want to try and blow that out in the same manner as you did with the card itself. Just remember to push in the dust covers while doing this because it'll be worthless to blow on them.

Now, if that doesn't work, then you'll have to reinitialize the card. I think that the gamecube will prompt this to you automatically if it thinks the save data is corrupt. It's been a while since I had this happen to me last so I don't remember. It'll erase all of the data on the card in an attempt to reset it back to normal.

If that doesn't get it working, then your card is a flimsy piece of garbage. Throw it away and get a new one. Preferably one under the Nintendo brand name because they'll be the most reliable ones seeing as how they're the makers of the Gamecube. While you're at it, you might want to buy two so that you can backup your data just incase something like this happens again. Afterall, they are electronic devices so failures like this are bound to happen eventually. Also, never touch the memory card while the power to the cube is on and never turn off the cube while it's saving. Those are two sure fire ways to corrupt your data and as you have recently found out, that isn't a good thing.

I hope that the info I gave you helps. It's save me many a time with all sorts of gaming related devices.

Oh and before I leave:
    Quote Originally Posted by crash26821
    It sounds like your controller's not set in nuterual mode. Just put down and pull out your controller and put it back into the 'cube when things like that start to happen. Given that the joysticks and buttons are all in their default positions while doing this, everything should work just fine. You see, while turning it on, the gamecube assumes whatever positions the joysticks are in is the direction they're being pushed when left alone. So if your joysticks are out of synch when turning the gamecube on, then the gamecube will think you're pushing them even while you're not. The same thing goes for the R/L buttons too actually. Pulling out the controller and putting it back in restarts that process. There's also a button combination that you can press to do the same thing but I forgot what it was =-/ . I'm assuming that the springs inside of the controller are okay, right? The joysticks aren't limp or stuckish feeling are they?

Well, my gamecube is always in perfect working order, unless there has been some form of user error and belive me, I don't keep it in an ideal state. That's why I'm able to give you both advice right now .
    i do this too but..........whoever thought of that idea............why do we do it.........just weird (i used to this as a kid)...........

I would probably go play video games or have sex (the usual) - Nominus Experse

my mom would be like "ve? yo te dije, el internet no es bueno."

"seriously, my mom tells me "que tu hase en eso el dia entero?" and im like "mami yo toy hablando con people" xD. spanglish, ftw." ~ liz