Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok.....if FFVII is considered the greatest game ever, why do so many ppl hate it?

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Yay!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

ok here it's called a caravan dont ask me why but if you have chocolate im there

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Ok.....if FFVII is considered the greatest game ever, why do so many ppl hate it?
    Because people have different opinions.

I personally prefer FFVI over FFVII. But I'm not going to go into detail, so I'll just leave it at that.

Wow, this thread has grown since last night.....unfortunately, I am one of those who has only played the games after VII.....I want to try VI now, I'm interested afer hearing everyone talk about it. I dunno why, but I just never thought about going back and playing the old ones. I know they rereleased them for playstation, in two-game bundles or something. Is the one with VI on it called FF Chronicles?
    THE MEW HATH NO NEED OF A SIG >:3

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

no thats IV and Chrono Trigger

buy it seperate

Anthology has IV and V

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

VI and V were packaged together as Anthologies.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

not in the UK Anthology was only Iv and V i had to buy VI seperate

LET THE HAMMER FALL

It's different in Europe, though; VI was released by itself, and IV and V were released together as Anthology. PAL regions have yet to receive releases of either Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross, which is a great shame.

Edit: Bah, Shoden beat me to it.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Or Xenosaga, or FFTactics I'll gladly sign any petitions to help bring these games to Europe.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

We dont know where fallenangel lives, which is why I put the American release in my post. I wasnt arguing with Shoden, he simply beat me to it.

Thanks! Gotta try it now. If so many people like it best of the series, it must be good

Ah, yeah, I live in America. I should put that down, shouldn't I? lol
    THE MEW HATH NO NEED OF A SIG >:3

Wow, I wish I had found this thread a LOT earlier.

I love FF in it's entirety, I've played through every game in the series to date.....and the only one I dislike is mystic quest.

I had received FF7 the day it came out, and it has and always will be my favorite game of all time. Sure, the graphics suck compared to today's standards....but for something released at the time, it wasn't bad. Especially if you consider the games length...

It's almost as if none of you read about the designers for the game. Yoaka Amano created the story line for every game except VII, X, and X2. Originally according to an issue of EGM back in like......97 or 98, Tesuya Nomura, the creator of VII and X and it's followups........he wanted to make a gaiden (side story) for VII between Cloud and Aeris/Aerith. So a followup for the game has been debated about since then, and is now taking effect. Squaresoft wouldn't allow him the money or time to make the gaiden, due to the many projects that were on hand at the time. H

But think about it, cloud did make an appearance in tactics, so he had to be somewhat favored by square. Not to mention the ergheiz game featured many of the cast.

There are few things that make an FF game an FF game.....and VII just happened to incorporate some of them....so in turn, it became an FF game, despite it's utter difference from other games in the series.

Now I'm not saying FFVII is the shiznit or anything like that, in my opinion it is, but I have both a subjective and objective view of things. The open storyline, while confusing to me, accomplished it's goals in leaving gamers captivated. You couldn't create the emotions you did with FFVII in many games of that time, non gamers couldn't see little pixels and be affected by them.....not the same way as the CG scene with Aeris. Not to mention I still remember the commercial for the game...it was oogle-worthy at the time.

And...I've commonly read that a remake of the game wouldn't work quite the same on PS2......maybe PS3 we'll see something arise. Although I openly admit that an FFVII remake would rock my world.

I love VI as well don't get me wrong......just my preference. I love squaresoft games in general. Oh well, I could get into a discussion on FF games and squaresoft games that would go on for miles......so I'm just gonna shutup now. Just wanted to state some facts.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

wow it seems i was quick with the Pal Europe and NTSC differences

Chrono Trigger is out in the UK it was released with FFIV as Final Fantasy chronicles i can get tactics and Xenosaga off a thing called eBay.

i havent played tactics at all but i have played tactics advance.

*gets some beer and drinks it he fills half the bottle with diesel Petrol and Meth (white spirit) he puts a cotten wool and fuse mixture into the top of it he shakes it around lights the fuse and throws it and then runs like hell not caring where it lands (caravan comes to mind actual;ly happened last year in my street once)*

soz for going off topic ive had a mass sugar overload

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Blog Entries

It's really a question of reality.
    The reality remains that Final Fantasy VII is the most beloved rpg game of all time,
    it may sound corny to a lot of people but the fact remains.
    Personally Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite, but I also adore Final Fantasy VII to the core.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngel411
    Just curious.....I mean, I've been looking around the forum here (I'm a newbie ) and I was surprised at how many people seem to totally HATE the game, and write out long, long, LOOOOOONG (but vastly entertaining) explanations on why it sucks, and debate its suckiness, and the ugliness of the hair, and.......why do so many people hate Cloud??? I just came off a forum where they were bashing him so badly that I flinched a few times.

Greatest game ever + greatest villain of all time + most beloved character death scene + best soundtrack ever = THE LAMEST FF OF THE SERIES

Mind you, that whole equation is not necessarily MY opinion, merely what I garnered was the general consensus of planet earth BEFORE seeing this forum (but I've heard plenty of ppl call it the lamest FF). But still, it doesn't add up. What gives??? Why does everyone seem to love it, yet be annoyed by it??? It's......weird.
    Where to begin?

I don't hate FF7; I actually love it, but I can understand the frustration.
    You see, even though FF6 was popular, it wasn't that popular. FF games were equated to that of a cult. Those of us who played them were few and far between, and you were a cool special unique person if you did. Then FF7 came out and suddenly everyone thought they were FF experts because they beat Sephiroth. The tiny little franchise we could fit in our back pocket suddenly exploded, and even I resent those who have only played the newer ones. There's so much to be enjoyed in the older ones, and if 7 hadn't come along, then the franchise would still be enjoyable. But thanks to the new audience that 7 opened up, Squaresoft stopped focusing on the game/story/etc. and put too much effort into graphics, because that's all this new audience cared about. Before, the graphics were terrible, but they were sufficient. We played the early FFs for the stories and gameplay. The graphics had 0% sway in my desicion to buy FF3 when it came out for the SNES.

Now onto your points presented:

calling FF7 the greatest game ever is unfair statement unlesss you've actually played every game ever made. Obviously you haven't, and your opinion is valid and all, but that's not too much evidence for your case.

Kefka from FF6 is a way better villian Sephiroth. Sephiroth is cool and all, but he's not that evil. His intentions actually seem a bit noble. Trying to stop the evil people from destorying the earth and moving into the promised land. Sephiroth is almost a good guy, but he goes about it in the wrong way. Kefka on the other hand, is genuinely of the criminally insane. He's f***ing nuts. He kills people because he's bored. Sephiroth only killed those that he thought needed to die or were standing in his way.

Beloved character death scene... Yeah, I have to agree with you there. When (SPOILER)Aeris died, I initially thought it was a dream (because I was playing at like 1AM at the time), and until I completed the game, I figured she was coming back at some point.

As far as the best soundtrack goes, it does have an excellent soundtrack, but the general consensus is that FF6 is Nobuo Uematsu's finest work. Nobuo himself said so, in an interview right before the release of FF9. 7 has a memorable soundtrack, and the songs fit the situations very well. But FF6 is just in-friggin-credible, and FF4 is very good too.

Cloud is hated because of his cocky "don't care" attitude. Most main characters have compassion and care about the cause they fight for. Cloud rarely shows emotion. The other main characters have a vast range of emotions, and Cloud gets sad a few times, but I dont' recall him ever getting happy or excited. Squall (from FF8) was the same way, just worse (which pretty much ruined the game). They both had that "lone bad-a**" persona, which isn't a good persona for a main character. You can't pin that tag on FF6 because I don't think it has a defined main character, but that's a whole different topic.

Sorry about the long post, but it was kinda necessary to say what I needed to say.

Feion
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.