Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok.....if FFVII is considered the greatest game ever, why do so many ppl hate it?

Quote Originally Posted by Destai
    The largest difference that stands out to me is the Dark Modern theme. When it comes to RPG's in general I dislike the past medieval theme that all the other FF's have before VII. How many RPG's have the same theme as VII? It certainly strikes me as unique in that way.
    Uhm VI wasn't medieval, there was definitely technology, in fact MAGItechnology. But that's not the point. I like the medieval theme sometimes, and sometimes the futuristic thing. But hey, they're all fantasy so whatever.

THE JACKEL

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

There are a good number with the 'modern' theme. I'm playing Arc the Lad: Twilight of Spirits as we speak, and it's a modern one. I personally dont find VII too dark, save for the parts in Midgar. Offhand I cant think of many, but there have been more with modern themes.

Articles

I edit my post to include one of your quotes, and by the time I get back the thread, you had already posted again .

I understand what you're saying about the atmosphere of FF7. It has a bunch of different themes mixed into one (including general sci-fi, with a little bit of a post-apocalyptic feel in some situations), and it makes it somewhat unique. I would also have to say that any futuristic setting is a good contrast to the medievil worlds typically found in RPGs (though, I'd like to point out that futuristic, or at least "modern" backdrops seem to prevalent in RPGs of recent years).

However, I don't think it's any more unique then, say, FF8, with the military theme and a world revolving around war. Also, I would hardly label FF6 as your standard swords n' shields adventure either. It had many different elements in its story and setting that held it above the norm. Although some of the town maps would lead you to believe otherwise, FFVI was more sci-fi than anything, what with Magitek technology and what have you.

EDIT: And now there's two posts between that and this one. You guys are fast today .

FFVI makes me think Industrial revolution.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Yeah, it's most certainly that sort of era.

I may have been harsh to a point, to which I apologise, blame work. My point was that so many people ignore this games pro's simply because too many other people acknowledge them. Whether or not it is a fanboy magnet that should not be allowed to cloud your judgement on the game, you become a sheep to your hate & lose your own power of judgement.
    This game is in my top 3 FF's VI was my first & I hold it dear in my heart but FVII when I bought it in 1997 simply blew me away, it may also hold sentemental value as it reminds me of a time when everything around me was golden, and for that, it remains golden.
    As Seph wisely said, this is subjective and will never be an argument that can be won or lost. My intentions were not to insult, just to tell it from my eyes.

Be Good PPL

Articles

About the Industrial Revolution thing:

I get that vibe as well, along with a general revolution feel in many aspects. Consider the changes the state of the world goes through during the course of the game.

I may have been harsh to a point, to which I apologise, blame work. My point was that so many people ignore this games pro's simply because too many other people acknowledge them. Whether or not it is a fanboy magnet that should not be allowed to cloud your judgement on the game, you become a sheep to your hate & lose your own power of judgement.
    This game is in my top 3 FF's VI was my first & I hold it dear in my heart but FVII when I bought it in 1997 simply blew me away, it may also hold sentemental value as it reminds me of a time when everything around me was golden, and for that, it remains golden.
    And believe me, you have done a far better job at keeping your cool than many people, and you've done a good job by pointing out that you played and enjoyed FFVI prior to playing FFVII. It goes along with what I said about some people genuinely liking it better while still having played the rest of the series.
    Last edited by Sepho; 02-10-2005 at 09:48 PM.

Late again

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

This is true, but I dont see anyone ignoring the games pros in this thread. Anyone who has said that VII isnt their favorite has also said that it isnt a horrid game, and some have even listed reasons why.

And dont worry about being insulting, it happens to the best of us <3

"The greatest game ever," is just a title given to the game by some crazed reviewer to hype up media on it. I found many things about it that were superb, and many things I didn't like. Quite frankly, I see FFVI as a much better game than VII in many aspects, but that's just my opinion.

We should all gather around the bonfire and toast marshmallows instead. Everyone loves marshmallows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeza
    This thread did not require Phoenix Down. Do not revive dead threads.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

kay! Party at my trailer! xD

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by §håd0w
    We should all gather around the bonfire and toast marshmallows instead. Everyone loves marshmallows.
    Nonsense .

I willn't eat marshmallows lest they be enveloped in chocolat and crackers de graham. OOOOOooooohhhhh. Now I'm mad . How dare you insinuate that marshmallows are the best game in the series? Clearly, you must be aware that EZ Cheze is superior in every aspect.

If I bring those, will you join?

If so, everyone head over to TheAbominatrix's trailer.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by §håd0w
    If I bring those, will you join?

If so, everyone head over to TheAbominatrix's trailer.
    Totally

teh w00t!!!111

Abominatrix, we're headin' over.