Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok.....if FFVII is considered the greatest game ever, why do so many ppl hate it?

Look at it this way. George DUBYA Bush got the most votes of any president and is also the most HATED world leader of recent memory ( he has had more protesters than Hitler did.)
    get it?
    for the record, i hope Bush is removed from office before 2008.
    bring on the Dean/Edwards card for 2008!!!!!!

Yay for comparing video games to politics!

I'm sure these reasons have been stated before, but reasons people don't like it usually have to do with A) Everyone loves it, so that automatically means some people HAVE to hate it B) It's not 2D, and anything 3D = Satan, or C) Hey, guess what? They actually legitametly didn't care for it.

The last reason seams to be the most uncommon, though.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

It's the most common in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    Yes, because if we dont like your game the best, we're obviously just bitter. Get off it, that's such a cop out explination. It's not my favorite because it's not my favorite. I've listed numerous reasons why it's not my favorite, as has everyone else. And all we get in return is 'You're just bitter'. How childish.
    I'm sorry if you just read the beginning of my post and missed the rest of it. I stated that both of them are great games and Final Fantasy VI was in fact the whole reason I started playing Final Fantasy. And the reason why I believe their is bitternes is only redefined when you say "your" game and "our" game. I already stated I have no affiliaton on either side. So statements like this come from unease and or complete objection. People don't have to like Final Fantasy VII the best or Final Fantasy VI the best. They can prefere either or. I would recomend that you don't knock it till you have really played the game, all the way through, then your view can be objective. Just because you don't like a game doesn't mean it isn't A. The best or B. A great game. A title like "the best" cannot be given unless a large amount of people feel that way and, while I am not stating Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game of all time, it did however gain the title of "A greatest hit." Now whoever started this whole idea that anyone specific game is the greatest game of all time, and apparenty in this case someone heard it was Final Fantasy VII, said person is only stating their opinion. And the same goes for the people who say Final Fantasy VI is better. I am also stating an opinion when I say I think both are great games. However I have an objective view having played them both. Still it is an opinion. Someone may think they both suck. But this bitter feud between the two sides is ignorant, at best that is. Opinions are opinions and this doesn't make any side right. Different strokes for different folks.
    It's a way of life

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I read your entire post. I still dont see why that makes it fine to say our dislike is bitterness. I dont even see this debate as a 'bitter fued', except for a few people making snide little comments to belittle how we feel.

Dont knock a game till I've played it all the way through? I've beaten FFVII three times. I suggest you take your own advice and accept that some people simply dont like your favorite game. And yes I will continue to use 'your' and 'our'

Yeah, what he said. (edit: SHE said... sorry, Abominatrix)
    I loved FF7- it just lacks originality (and if you've played FFs 1-6, you'll know what I'm talking about, if not: well, you can't possibly make fair argument.) And since making a game that isn't a clone is a requirement for ANY self-respecting critique, FF7 lost by default.
    Last edited by udsuna; 02-20-2005 at 03:44 AM.
    Whore since '04. Selling my skills as an artist and writer.

http://www.freewebs.com/acalhoun/

I read your entire post. I still dont see why that makes it fine to say our dislike is bitterness. I dont even see this debate as a 'bitter fued', except for a few people making snide little comments to belittle how we feel.

Dont knock a game till I've played it all the way through? I've beaten FFVII three times. I suggest you take your own advice and accept that some people simply dont like your favorite game. And yes I will continue to use 'your' and 'our'

Well TheAbominatrix once again, and I don't say this to be rude, I believe you have misinterpreted what I have said. First I would like to clarify, when I made statements like "don't knock a game untill you have tried it", I was not aiming those directly at you, but instead anyone who might have a dislike for a game without actually beating it. Now you are also wrong in your statement that Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game. I have stated at least 3 times already that I like both of them equally, and neither one over the other. And as for bitterness, it appears to me that taking a stance that when people say "Final Fantasy VII is the best." they are trying to belittle your feelings,that apears to me that you are really not very secure. If somone bashing something you like belittles your feelings well then that's just sad. Simply put, don't listen to people putting down what you like. And this applies the other way as well. Don't insult what they like. That is infantile. As for take my own advice, well I already said that I am cool with both games so.... yeah. No comment there. In short I'm not bashing you, I'm not bashing anyone. I stated my opinion and I believe everyone is entitled to their own. It just appeared to me that everyone was onesiding and I thought it should be noted that each game hold special memories for us all, and to respect that for everyone. And use "yours" and "ours" all you want.
    It's a way of life

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I havent bashed anyones game. Ive stated my feelings on that game, and excuse some of the things I said, I thought you were Shoden (because of the avatar) continuing his little banter. That's my bad.

I havent bashed anyones game. Ive stated my feelings on that game, and excuse some of the things I said, I thought you were Shoden (because of the avatar) continuing his little banter. That's my bad.
    Hey no problem man. It's all cool. And once again, I wasn't singling you out so don't feel offended. What is Shoden's favorite Final Fantasy game Final Fantasy VII?
    It's a way of life

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Yeah it is. Thanks for bein cool <3

Articles

Hey, I'm cool as well, as evidenced by the following sunglasses smilie:

Well, this has been a marathon thread, to say the least.

Ok...I did not read all of the discussion,but...A similiar one took place on a different forum,and I`ll say the same thing: Why fight over something wich we all think is great? We all know the FF series are one of,if not the best games of all time. We all (well,mostly) agree that FFX-2 sucks,and that we owe respect for the older FFs. But it`s senseless to compare FFVI an VII when they are two totally different games,with a different story,feel and taste. So someone will like 6,someone 7,someone 9,etc. The point is,is there an FF wich you truly HATE (except FFX-2,that`s HORRIBLE),because you already have one wich you truly love? I know,doesn`t make much sense,but what the hay. My favorite is FFVII,and ever will be,but not because it was my first RPG or it is way better than VI(wich I did play,but still didn`t finish),or some other stuff. Just because i LIKE it. VERY much. End of story. Stop the arguing,will you,and enjoy the game,will you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucca
    Ok...I did not read all of the discussion,but...A similiar one took place on a different forum,and I`ll say the same thing: Why fight over something wich we all think is great? We all know the FF series are one of,if not the best games of all time. We all (well,mostly) agree that FFX-2 sucks,and that we owe respect for the older FFs. But it`s senseless to compare FFVI an VII when they are two totally different games,with a different story,feel and taste. So someone will like 6,someone 7,someone 9,etc. The point is,is there an FF wich you truly HATE (except FFX-2,that`s HORRIBLE),because you already have one wich you truly love? I know,doesn`t make much sense,but what the hay. My favorite is FFVII,and ever will be,but not because it was my first RPG or it is way better than VI(wich I did play,but still didn`t finish),or some other stuff. Just because i LIKE it. VERY much. End of story. Stop the arguing,will you,and enjoy the game,will you?
    Learn punctuation will you?(ie spaces after comma and periods) That'd make that a lot easier to read thank you very much.

THE JACKEL

and excuse some of the things I said, I thought you were Shoden

Anyway, I can't really say what my favourite is. It tends to change on a very regular basis. But, I'd say FFVII does enjoy some days as my favourite. I did enjoy it a lot, just as I also enjoyed VI, IX and X a lot. However, I can admit that it does have a fair amount of flaws. I can also see why people would say that it's overated, given that some people appear to worship the game as a religion.

I personnaly, thought it was a great game. And, as much as I do like 6, I really couldn't choose between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9
    Learn punctuation will you?(ie spaces after comma and periods) That'd make that a lot easier to read thank you very much.
    Umm... couldn't you have been just a teeny bit nicer when saying that. I mean, the guy hasn't been on here that long and it's very easy to feel intimidated when you're a newcomer. I'm not saying you shouldn't have asked it of him, but geez, could you not have been a bit nicer about it? It just struck me as being slightly rude. Especially considering that he's new here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cless
    Umm... couldn't you have been just a teeny bit nicer when saying that. I mean, the guy hasn't been on here that long and it's very easy to feel intimidated when you're a newcomer. I'm not saying you shouldn't have asked it of him, but geez, could you not have been a bit nicer about it? It just struck me as being slightly rude. Especially considering that he's new here.
    Uhm I personally didn't think I was being mean. I didn't mean anything by it, I just thought it would help. Seriously don't be offended, just in the future keep it in mind to help out the reader! Again thanks.

THE JACKEL