Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Ok.....if FFVII is considered the greatest game ever, why do so many ppl hate it?

Uhm I personally didn't think I was being mean. I didn't mean anything by it, I just thought it would help. Seriously don't be offended, just in the future keep it in mind to help out the reader! Again thanks.
    I'm sorry if it looked like I was getting on your case or anything! On reading the above post, I can see now that it wasn't your intention to offend, but only to help. I apoligise, and thanks for being okay about it.

i don't know if anyone really hates FF7 . maybe they love it, but every FF has their flaws , something they hate about it . then again, i might be wrong . as for me, well i certainly don't call FF7 my favorite, but it's truly a great game when i look past the blocky graphics . i had it good in this game until i lost my original file .

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9
    Learn punctuation will you?(ie spaces after comma and periods) That'd make that a lot easier to read thank you very much.

THE JACKEL
    It was a quick post, so I had to type fast. And you weren`t too mean.

Soylent green is people! Wiegrahf42's Avatar

I don't hate FF VII, just all games have their flaws and I feel FFVII is extremely overated. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but not the best game ever by any means.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War room"

Cuz bitches wanna be different

I believe a that a number of people dislike Final Fantasy VII because it took something away from them. FFVII really sent the series mainstream, so all the gamers who grew up on FFIV (II on SNES) and FFVI (III on SNES) lost the claim that playing FF made them unique. This countercultural nostalgia, in my opinion, is what leads them to attack FFVII. All attacks on the story and characters are inane at best; FFVII had a nonpareil story and characters far more detailed and explored than any previous installment of the series. Yes, I am one of those people who will defend FFVII against anything, and yes, I think it is the greatest game ever. However, having played every Final Fantasy, I feel I can do so without the bias of most of the proponents of either side of the argument.

Articles

FF7 was the first game in the series that I had played, and by then it was already on the Greatest Hits list. I had know idea what an RPG was when I stumbled upon it at my friend's house. Since then, I've played nearly every game in the series but even without any unfavorable bias towards FF7, I can still make the claim that it's not my first-, or even second-favorite game in the series. It's probably just barely in my RPG top 5, if at all.

And playing RPGs didn't make you unique. It made you a nerd.

I won't argue that there a few players that fit the description you wrote, but it's a huge generalization. Once again, some people genuinely don't feel that it's the best game ever made, or that it's the best RPG ever made, or even that it's the best game in the series. And for valid reasons, but it's not as if those reasons need to be justified.

Only reason I played it was because FFVI rocked my socks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeza
    This thread did not require Phoenix Down. Do not revive dead threads.

I understand that there are many people who enjoy other FF's more than they did/do FFVII. However, I've seen far too many people denigrate FFVII without ever giving a reason to completely dismiss what I said. These people seem to have no reason (or no reason they'll ever give) for disliking the game, so I interpreted it as being a factor outside the game itself. As to the "nerd" point, that's just it: FFVII didn't eliminate the nerd label, but it stole the exclusivity of the series.

The only real attack on the game I hear is that too many FFVII fans defend it blindly. While many do, it seems they are actually a minority in this forum. It seems many more prefer other games. That's fine, but their attacks seem hypocritical if that is their only reason for the animus they display. If you don't like FFVII, explain why: explain what character traits you found appalling, or what gameplay aspects were bothersome.

As much as I enjoy FFVII, I have no problem with someone disliking it, even hating it. However, I have yet to see a coherent argument qualifying this hatred. In discussing opinions, all opinions should be allowed, but I would personally simply like to see more people explain (and perhaps examine) their own opinions.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFVII was a good game, but as has been stated by many, FFVI is a game I like much more (although FFT is better than both of them).

FFVII's story was interesting, yes, but I must admit I generally prefer more fantasy than sci-fi elements, which is why FFVI appealed to me more.

I'd say more but it's way too early/late and I'm tired. I'll drop in later and say my piece.

Well, i do like ffVII. Hell, i even love the game. It was not only my introduction into the final fantasy series, but also my introduction into RPG's all together. And for that, i will always love FF7. But, i would not say its my favorite FF. Now, i have never really played any ff before 7 so i can only speak about 7 on up. i accually like FF8 better than ff7. And on top of that, i like Xenogears better than both of them.

you really have to give ff7 credit where its due though. I mean, it single handedly brought rpg's into the forefront of gaming. If it wasnt for FF7, there would be so many rpg's that would have never made it to our shores. I mean, some of the final fantasy games never even got released here. But after ff7, Ever ff is garuanteed a states-side release.

And you cant really comment on how bad teh graphics where. i mean, at the time, it was teh best looking rpg ever. Even with the funny deformed charecters. It looked way better than anything out there. Comment on the graphics now would be pointless.

Ff7 was really hyped though. I mean, i couldnt drink a can of pepsi without seeing cloud's face on it.

Man, now that i think about it. FF7 was really great. I mean, The whole game started off so simple and then turned into something so much more. Like i really thought i was gonna spend all game blowing up those damn reactors. I had no idea what a world map was. Airship!? what was that!? It was all so new. Which kinda leads me too my point. You cant really be too mad at a person who loves ff7. Especially if it was the first ff/rpg they had ever played. It was a whole bunch of new experiences at once. Of course those who played past ff's and other rpg's before it kinda knew what to expect. But for those who were like me. I had no clue. I cant stop playing rpg's now. Hell, im willing to wager that if it wasnt for ff7, we wouldnt probably even be on this forum. I dont remember seeing a whole lotta FF forums before 7 came out.

but like i said, i like XG better than ff7 anyway.

While ff7 was like a good movie. XG was like a good anime. and i just love anime. (UhOh! anime fanboi!@!@!@!!@@@!!!)

Blog Entries

Final Fantasy VII was and still is my main reason for RPGs.
    It was my first and to this day I still replay it several times a year; it's good and quite possibly the best game ever made, next to Streets of Rage II of course.

i don't hate ffvii either. its not my favorite, i personally find (counting the ones i've finished to the end at least) ff1, ffix, and ffx. and although i haven't fnisihed ffvi, thats more entertaining and appealing to me than ffvii.

then again, i can't speak too much on it cuz i've only made it and got stuck at the temple of the ancients, where that stupid wall thing keeps kicking my ass. the music is great, the characters are dynamic, and the story is mysterious and appealing.

the camera angles are weird, and frustrating at times, the plot sometimes folds and folds to the point where its confusing, and i PERSONALLY, don't enjoy the atb system that much.

not my fav, but a good game. i think it receives too much beef cuz it was such an early rpg, and rpg's have evolved so much since then

Feena, The Goddess of Ys TifaLockhart7's Avatar

I haven't got a clue why people dislike the game.....tch...... they ALWAYS go for the new final fantasy games after part 7.... personally i think final fantasy 8 and up really sucked...but that's MY opinion so dont hold it against me if u think im wrong

FinalFantasy VII had it's ups and downs. The major turnoff was the graphics. But that was in 1998. But what I don't get is, if many people hate, like you stated, why is there so many released/ upcoming, FFVII games. Such as Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, and even the movie AdventChildren.

Still think people hate it?
    The signature limit is 50kb for images, not 800kb