Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok.....if FFVII is considered the greatest game ever, why do so many ppl hate it?

Default Ok.....if FFVII is considered the greatest game ever, why do so many ppl hate it?

Just curious.....I mean, I've been looking around the forum here (I'm a newbie ) and I was surprised at how many people seem to totally HATE the game, and write out long, long, LOOOOOONG (but vastly entertaining) explanations on why it sucks, and debate its suckiness, and the ugliness of the hair, and.......why do so many people hate Cloud??? I just came off a forum where they were bashing him so badly that I flinched a few times.

Greatest game ever + greatest villain of all time + most beloved character death scene + best soundtrack ever = THE LAMEST FF OF THE SERIES

Mind you, that whole equation is not necessarily MY opinion, merely what I garnered was the general consensus of planet earth BEFORE seeing this forum (but I've heard plenty of ppl call it the lamest FF). But still, it doesn't add up. What gives??? Why does everyone seem to love it, yet be annoyed by it??? It's......weird.
    THE MEW HATH NO NEED OF A SIG >:3

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Most people are annoyed by the fact that this is the one everyone is a slathering fanbody over, and that a great many have ignored the series before it. I think VI is by far the greatest game ever, and most certainly the greatest FF.

I certainly dont think it's the greatest game. I cant stand Sephiroth, nor Aerith. The soundtrack was amazing, I'll give it that. But all in all, no I dont like it that much at all. Dont hate it, but it's way low in my list of favorite FFs.

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

chaos: I completely agree with TheAbominatrix. I also believe that VI should be the one recieving all the attention, and being crowned "The Greatest FF Of All time".

Rubedo: The game was alright, it wasn't horrible, although, I find it to be very ovverated. I myself found it to be nothing so special. Other games that are shunned by new FF players (ie.FF's 1-6) are worth a lot more than this game.

yup I agree with previous posts...
    FF7 is just too overrated...
    I dont want to type all the reason all over again
    Don't be afraid of shadows, it only means there is light shining somewhere behind...

I wouldn't say that many people hate FFVII. A lot of people dislike it and think it's overrated, and I'm one of them. Hate is a strong word, though. I hated Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, not FFVII ;P
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Most kids hate it because a lot of PPL love it...it is that simple fact. They want to be 'different' and seem 'originsl'. It is one of the greatest games ever made. Society throws this phenomenon out all the time, regardless of subject. It's the same kids who hate popular bands, ignore their talent, just hate them because they're popular, and say 'I liked their early stuff'. It's tragic. While I don't deny earlier final fantasy's were indeed amazing & broke the mould, this was the finished article. The game that changed the RPG world on it's head. The game that got competators to spend years of chasing. Don't deny this game it's due people. It deserves not to be hated, to me, and I know this is a subjective argument, but to me, this was the perfect game. One that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

Or maybe they dislike it because they actually don't think it's one of the greatest games ever made. The graphics were, frankly, ugly, apart from the FMVs, and the plot was incoherent and rambling and refused to answer a lot of the questions it raised. Who exactly were you chasing after for the entire first half of the game? It certainly wasn't Sephiroth, although legions of drooling fanboys still haven't picked up on that, which indicates to me that the allegedly unrivaled storytelling methods of the game might not have actually been that great.

Edit: And, to respond to your "analogy," most of what's popular right now is terrible. OutKast's The Love Below and Green Day's American Idiot are the only two recent #1 albums I can think of that actually deserved their popularity.
    Last edited by The Man; 02-10-2005 at 02:51 PM.

here's a good quote for you,
    "No matter how good something is, somebody, somewhere will hate it."

And that's the truth. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. Best Game ever however is where most people turn into, Hate FFVII. I mean yeah it is a great game, and up there on my list, behind say FFVI, which should be #1, but it's very annoying to talk to people who claim to be FF fans when it was their first FF and they played NONE before it.

I mean I remember meeting people who didn't even know there were Final Fantasy games before VII and thought it started with that number because it was lucky or something. And then there are people like my brother who says FFVI is III cause that was what it was released as in the US, but yet when they re-released it in the US, it was titled VI.

OH well I could keep rambling on, but the truth is remember that quote. Honestly, if someone went out tomorrow and made it so that nobody ever got sick again, somebody wouldn't like that idea, and I bet their argument would be something along the lines of devoting themselves to medicine and it is no longer needed and all the advancements in medicine and current research projects were a big waste of money. Or maybe they'll be more creative than that, but you catch my drip?

THE JACKEL

Exactly. The obsessive fanboys made FFVII horrible. The reason most other FFs aren't as popular is because half the FF fans out there got into the series because of FFVII. So, the stupid FFVII fanboys didn't like it because it wasn't similar to FFVII, like they expected it to be.

But now I see FFVI becoming lamer as the days go by, because of the arrogant old-school gamers who worship it and listen to no one's opinion. "Oh, look. I'm wise and cool, because I don't like the newer part of the series. I'm stuck in the past. What's that? Cell phone, CD? I think I'll just listen to my A-Track and play FFVI." I mean seriously, it's pretty ignorant when you don't even see that you're as bad as the FFVII fanboys.

Another group of gamers are the graphics-whor3s, who don't really piss me off as much as the FFVII and FFVI fanboys because they aren't as annoying about it. They should add a little variety in their games, but it's the new generation and graphics aren't going to get worse. So it doesn't really matter if they hate older games. They'll all eventually be remade anyway.
    Last edited by Ichimonji; 02-10-2005 at 03:47 PM.

I love VI but I much prefer VII's modern theme which hadnt been done in any FF before that.Even in IX I really disliked the medieval theme. Also it was a much darker setting and personally I loved the characters and the fantastic soundtrack. My biggest fault with VI is I find alot of it unenjoyable as with most/all of the past FF's with there blocky battle system. The only game before VII whos battle system I thought was impressive was Dawn of Souls, surely they could've managed similar on a PS1? VII's was just more fun and I loved the materia system.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

well how come 6 doesnt have any sequels or movies created out of it then? i much prefer 7 because 6 was to slow of a game for my liking while 7 slightly got me a refill on speed it was nearing disc 2 that it gottten the best 6 was average all the way through i more than 8 which is very good but 7 gets my vote, im not even mentioning remake as many ppl bash me saying im full of crap or usually be very mean to me (literally) but i know 6 was a very good game but it wasnt the best of the ff series.

1. Final Fantasy VII
    2. Final Fantasy VI
    3. Final Fantasy VIII

dont hate because i disagree but im expressing MY oppinion and not the official one which was never announced

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Quote Originally Posted by Shoden
    well how come 6 doesnt have any sequels or movies created out of it then?
    VI doesn't have sequels in the works because it wasn't as commercially successful as VII. Also, the demographic of the audiences of the two games means that FFVII has a lot of fanboys saying "FFVII RULZ I WANT MOAR CEFIROTH," while this type of fanboy is comparatively uncommon amongst FFVI's audience. Square is a company, and companies try to make money. It would be more profitable to make a bunch of FFVII sequels than to make a single FFVI sequel. Simple, really.

Would you say a lot of VI fans despise VII?

I wouldn't know, but I personally don't despise any game; despise is an awfully strong word, stronger even than hate ;p

*hate* VII, : p