Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Ok.....if FFVII is considered the greatest game ever, why do so many ppl hate it?

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Yes, people hate it. They arent in the majority, but people hate it. Many people dislike it. As evidenced in this thread many times.

Yes, I know. But not "everyone" hates it. Even if I hated it I'd play it.

-FFK
    The signature limit is 50kb for images, not 800kb

Quote Originally Posted by masamune1600
    I believe a that a number of people dislike Final Fantasy VII because it took something away from them. FFVII really sent the series mainstream, so all the gamers who grew up on FFIV (II on SNES) and FFVI (III on SNES) lost the claim that playing FF made them unique. This countercultural nostalgia, in my opinion, is what leads them to attack FFVII. All attacks on the story and characters are inane at best; FFVII had a nonpareil story and characters far more detailed and explored than any previous installment of the series. Yes, I am one of those people who will defend FFVII against anything, and yes, I think it is the greatest game ever. However, having played every Final Fantasy, I feel I can do so without the bias of most of the proponents of either side of the argument.
    I don't understand why some people have to come up with some sort of theory to explain why people dislike FF7. No, the game is not flawless. No, it is not the best in the series. No, it is not the most original in the series. No, people don't resent it simply because it made the series popular. No, not all "attacks" on its characters and plot are "inane at best."

People dislike it for reasons that are just as legitimate as your reasons for liking it.

The whole point of my entire rant is that people seem rather reticent when it comes to actually giving reasons for disliking the game. People are certainly free to form their own opinions, but opinions generally have reasons. In my "clarification" post, where I expanded on my original ideas, this was pointed out. The very next post stated that the author preferred fantasy to sci-fi elements. And that's enough of a reason to satisfy me. Unfortunately, far too many people say that the game is terrible, or overrated, or disappointing, without ever bothering to state just why they find this to be the case. My "theory" may be a bit extreme, but that's because there's far too often nothing else to explain the situation.

I know alot of people will hate me for this but oh-well .I just do not really like this game. I used to absolutly hate this game, but I replayed it and gave it a chance.I still do not really like it but because I just really did not like the characters ('cept for Tifa and Aeris). The story was ok but just in my opinion not as good as IV,VI,V,IIj-(lol),IX,and especially(SP)VIII. The soundtrack was good but to be honest I liked FFIIj's music better ^_^. I sort of get your point FallenAngel, I suprised that so many people in this forum hate it for I think it is the most overrated game on the series. .If you what to get intop detail with all of the resons I have just posted feel free to PM me. I will be glad to explain in extreme detail for why I don't like this game. OK......
    oK.

Well thats my 2-cents.
    EDIT:I jsut have to say this. Ok people who might think that I am a I-VI hardcore fanboy is mistaken.Sure I love the old series.But my favorite FF is of course FFVIII. I also love IX,X, and even X-2. I could care less if alot people loved this game or if alot of people hated this game it wouldn't change the fact that I didn't like it! As I said before if you want me to go into extreme detail why I don't like this game, feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by Apollo; 03-27-2005 at 09:10 AM.

I see no reason to love this game whatsoever
    Don't be afraid of shadows, it only means there is light shining somewhere behind...

Well, i was surfing your threads and came across this one. I like to try to make my first post on threads to be rather valuable, and it seems it might have some value here.

Let me start off by saying I'm a big fan of the FF series. I've been playing the games since FF2 (FF4: Easytype - Japan) for the SNES and have played every game, including translated roms of FF3 (Japan) My favorite game, by far is FFVI. With the multitude of characters, plot lines, plot twists, and possibly the most entertaining story in any FF game. It would also seem that I'm not alone in this opinion (which would be a first).

What disturbs me is how much it would seem you people dislike FFVII. I really do find it hard to believe anyone who likes FF games would dislike FFVII. FFVII may not be the best in the series, but it definitely has many strong points. Granted it does take a lot from other games in the FF series, but if you think about it, it wouldn't be Final Fantasy if it didn't. To describe this game, I'll compare it to other FFs.

Battle System - Nothing quite new here. FFVI uses the same ATB system that was first introduced to the US with FF4. So technically, FF6 is guilty of this too. Basically the little bars move across the screen, when they are full, you perform your action. The characters with higher speed, or with haste, naturally have their bars fill faster, while with slow, or stop, decrease the speed or just stop respectively. FF4 characters were limited as in every character could not use magic and were only able to use their respective abilities, such as Kick, Black Magic, White Magic, and so on. Every character however could use Attack and Item. FF6 upped it a notch by letting every character (except Umaro) learn Magic, and then giving them all one special ability, like Celes's runic, Terra's Morph, or Gogo's mime. FF7 upped it another notch with the materia system by letting any character equip those special abilities. FF4 didn't have strategy when configuring party members since you were only able to use what they gave you. In FF6, you would set your party in certain combinations to create better strategies, such as bring Celes if you fight a boss who uses magic alot, use Sabin if the enemy is weak against physical attacks, use Terra when weak against Magic, use Locke when they have valuable items to steal. FF7 removed this strategy of creating your party, but it let your characters be more customizeable, and let's face it, being able to customize your characters can be quite fun and strategic as well. FF7 added another feature to the battle system that has been accepted very well and since FF7 has been adopted into other FF game that came out after it, this being the Limit Break. FF8 followed it with the weak character specials, FF9 followed it with the trance (bad-timing), and FFX followed suit with the overdrive (pretty much the same as the Limit Break), hell even FFXI copied that with the TP meter (something I haven't seen in any other MMO).

Magic System - FF6 and FF7 have pretty much the same magic system, however both have one frustration and one bonus. The bonus in FF6 was that once you learned the spell, you could keep it even if you removed the magicite, however you had to learn each spell individually with each character. In FF7, if you removed the materia, you wouldn't be able to use the magic it provided, however, if you equipped it on another person, they could use the magic without having to gain all the experience to use it.

Both games offered excellent gameplay systems, it's no wonder these two are major favorites.

Graphics - Ok, comparing FF games graphically is really just cheating. You can't really give an FF game more credit for its graphical ability, considering each game following the other improved, some slightly, some greatly. There is one thing that can be said about the graphics of the FF games. At the time of their release, they were pretty much the best looking, or one of the best looking games of their time. If you compare graphics of FF6 to games now, it's called [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img]ty. If you compare graphics of FF7 to games now, it's called [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img]ty. At it's release, no game was better graphically than FF7, except for maybe the first RE game, but the CGs in FF7 are what really made it a graphical powerhouse (for its time). Each successive FF game got increasingly better, FF8 adopted real-time graphics similar to the RE games, while it's CGs got a major overhaul that seem to still be able to rival those of current games. FFX upped the bar with making it's real-time graphics look almost as if your watching a CG, sharper than RE: Code Veronica.

Story, this is where any good FF game shines. Ill start with the most commonly known ones:

FF1 what can I say, not the best, but hell, definitely the best story the NES ever saw, plus without it, we wouldn't have 6 or 7.

FF4 was full of interesting dialog worthy of novel status. Love, Friendship, Betrayal, Death, and Sacrifice, all there. Although the story was very linear, it made you feel like you could connect with the characters and really know them. The love between Cecil and Rosa, the friendship between Cecil and Kain, the breaking of their friendship with Kains betrayal, the Death of Tellah from his noble sacrifice, and lets not forget the sacrifice of the two twins. Only problem with the storyline was its linear trend, but still one of the best.

FF6, doing all the same great things FF4 did, getting bonus points for having a large amount characters, each with intertwining side-stories. Terra wanting love and feeling alone. Celes being cast out of the military. Locke not wanting to fail Celes like he failed Rachel. Edgar being the king of Figaro, but missing his brother Sabin who turned down the thrown. (Although not a major character, still noble to mention) General Leo being betrayed by his own government, feeling remorse and eventually killed by the power he once believed in. And let's not forget possibly one of the greatest points, the actual destruction of the world and the fight for rebirth.

FF7 again had all the great story elements as well. Cloud being a lone-mercenary, trusting no-one but himself. The affection Tifa held for Cloud, the affection Cloud held for both Tifa and Aeris. The death of such a gentle and kind person, Aeris. The realization of the truth of Cloud's past. The almost near-destruction of the planet. And although not pertaining to the story, possilby the best mini-games in any FF.

FF8 also had great story elements, although it dragged around discs 2 and half of 3, its story really did pick up and get very interesting. Squall being pretty much a machine, doing what he was told, learns compassion and love for Rinoa. Learns friendship and teamwork from all the others. The twist that when they were all children, they knew eachother and that there guardian (the one they felt as a mother) was being controlled by their enemy. Rinoa being the next in line for being Ultimecia's puppet.

FF9 although it being a common favorite, I enjoyed it up until the very end. Necron gave me a big "?". The game pretty much had nothing to do with the crystals, no mention of Necron anywhere and bam, there he is. It's like he was thrown in there for an extra boss fight. FF9's story is probably worth that of an FF title, other than the final boss, but probably the last on my list of FF titles I'd recommend. Although it had many good points. Zidanes affection towards Dagger/Garnet and Vivi learning that he was constructed to be used as a weapon, not knowing how long or how short he had left to live.

FFX had an excellent storyline. A false religion focused on sacrificing their hero to the enemy, only to have peace for 10 years. The affection between Tidus and Yuna. The learning that Auron was an unsent. The learning of the truth of the religion and the Al Bhed. And although ending on a very sad note, the learning that Tidus was an unsent and that he disappeared as well.

I know some poeple said that if the game was great, why does it need a sequel. To tell the truth, they don't need a seque. In fact, it's because that they were so great that they got a sequel. It's because of their mass popularity that they got a sequel. The ending to FFX was just fine actually, although sad (have to admit it, I cried), it had a real ending. The religion was over, Sin would not be back in 10 years. It brought closure. FFX-2 just decided to add to it by bring Tidus back, although it kind of ruins the theory of the unsent. As for FF7, it also had closure, Shinra was gone, Sephiroth was defeated, the world was saved. Cloud and Tifa at the end decide that they may be able to find Aeris, and will look for her together. Advent Children is really just an add-on to it, and Dirge of Cerberus takes place after Advent Children.
    Why did these games get sequels, let's face it, money. These two titles have been rated the most popular FF games of all time (notice popular, I'll explain why in a sec). These two games have instant name recognition. When a highly popular game comes out, and people love it, they can't help but want another experience just like it, so that's where the sequel comes in. Square hopes to market off of the previous games success with a sequel. This tactic has been done for years, not just with videogames, but with movies and books.

Now, why are these games so popular, well, FF7 and FFX naturally have a much larger fanbase. Back in the days of FF4 and FF6, there werent even half as many people who played videogames as much as there were during the time of FF7 and FFX. Let me be 100% honest here, people didn't want to read in a videogame. Back when FF4 and FF6 came out, when you asked someone what an RPG was, they would draw a "?". They had no idea. The best way to describe it would be to say it's a game with a lot of dialog. They'll respond, oh those games, no thank you, you shouldn't have to read to play a game. A game is supposed to be fun, reading is boring. But now, games like FF7 and FFX had stunning graphics and were just beautiful. In FF7, people didn't care that they had the read, just as long as they could see the awesome visuals. FF7 was also highly commercialized, having special promos on TV and even Pepsi (I still have my Pepsi 12-pack with FF7 characters on it). No FF game had received that much recognition before. FF6 had one commercial, but hardly anyone saw it, I can barely remember it. The commercialization of FF7 brought a numerous amount of fans to the RPG genre, realizing that "hey, this game is quite good, it looks awesome and has an interesting story, it's like a movie, but I'm controlling it". With the addition of voices to FFX, it just increased it's popularity and fanbase, now people didn't have to read all the time.

So, do you see why FF7 is so popular. It's basically timing, its the game that came out at the right time and had the right treatment. It was Squares big powerhouse great. They put more money into this game than any other FF game before it, and when you put more money into something, it usually returns. FF7 just happened to be the right game, at the right time.

Now, if you want my Top 5 for FF games, it FFVI, FFVII, FFIV, FFXIII, FFX. And let me just say, they are all pretty close to one another on the spectrum.
    Now, not technically pertaining to this thread, but really pertaining to this site and Square, my favorite game of all time, the one that I think is the best game I've ever played is Chrono Trigger. I must have played this game so much I think I remember every little detail to it.

(Now, if you dislike any of these games, that's fine. We all have our different opinions and are entitled to them. But you should remember to give credit where credit is due. Something about a game just has to be right when so many people love it. Some may not understand a games popularity, but often times its obvious. For me, I think one of the most over-rated games of all time is Halo, but that's me. I understand why it's over-rated, but to me it's still over-rated.

Sorry it's long, I'm trying to make a point.)

You can sure make a point. Read it all, and totally agree.

It's quite simple, these people are.....INSANE!!!!!

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by Zanark
    It's quite simple, these people are.....INSANE!!!!!
    Okay, so anything you dont like and I do, you're insane for not liking.

Glad that's settled.

I dont see why we need complex reasons for disliking something. Why do we have to articulate a list of reasons? I dont like it that much. Period. I dont ask people to explain to me in detail why they DO like it, because I respect that everyone is different and everyone likes different things. It's a shame very few FFVII fans will simply respect that not everyone agrees with them, and I thank the ones that have expressed those feelings.

i agree wtih everything J.C.M.F. said. oh, and i like how he counted FFXIII as one of his favorites. :rolleyes2

J.C.M.F, your point is good and certainly accurate: It was the game's timing, the manner in which it was advertised (note that the commercials for it only feature FMV scenes), and the new heights that had been reached with graphics that launched it into the stratosphere of popularity. That's not really relevant in regard to the matter of why folks would dislike it (very simply, different things appeal to different people), but it's accurate.

There are, however, a few things I want to touch on in your Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J.C.M.F.
    FF7 added another feature to the battle system that has been accepted very well and since FF7 has been adopted into other FF game that came out after it, this being the Limit Break.
    Final Fantasy VI was actually the first to introduce this concept. The first form of this concept were VI's Desperation Moves that characters would occasionally perform when they had been wounded and sent into critical HP levels.

The love between Cecil and Rosa, the friendship between Cecil and Kain, the breaking of their friendship with Kains betrayal, the Death of Tellah from his noble sacrifice, and lets not forget the sacrifice of the two twins.
    Tellah's death wasn't noble, really. He did it for revenge, not to protect the world:

Elder: Tellah?

Tellah: It's been a while.

Porom: We met him on Mt. Ordeals.

Palom: And guess what? The old man learned Meteo.

Elder: What!? Meteo, the legendary spell, unsealed? What is happening
    to this world...?

Tellah: I couldn't care less as long as I avenge Anna!

Elder: Your daughter Anna?

Tellah: Golbez took her life. I swear I'll crush him with my Meteo!

Elder: Tellah, you should not fight with hatred. Besides, you are in no
    condition to use Meteo.

Tellah: If I die, so be it! I will kill Golbez at any cost!

Tellah: ...I failed...

Cid: Keep still!

Tellah: I'm such a fool... I lost myself...in hatred. Avenge my
    daughter...for me...I beg you...

he game pretty much had nothing to do with the crystals, no mention of Necron anywhere and bam, there he is. It's like he was thrown in there for an extra boss fight.
    This might be more subjective than anything, but I believe Necron was mentioned, just not by name.

Read this Thread if you're curious about my observations on this matter.

And although ending on a very sad note, the learning that Tidus was an unsent and that he disappeared as well.
    Tidus was a Dream of the Fayth, not an Unsent.

Anyway, your overall point is a good one.
    I love my Carys with all my heart.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Where the clouds part and the truth is revealed: Final Fantasy VII Analysis.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

it's all about what you grew up with, the very first game i ever bought was ff7. even if i was to play and complete the others, i would always hold ff7 closest

FF7 is my favorite FF game, followed by FF4. What can I say? I just loved the game. If someone doesn't like the game, I really don't care. I'm not out to convert people to Final Fantasy.
    Give me chocobos or give me death! woot!

Ha ha Probably beacuse all the Graphics and Sports buffs think the graphics suck and and thing about "Letting them hit you" Takes away sports buffs intrest, at least thats what my Bro in law says, And cause people cant beat Ruby....heh