Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Namco vs. Square

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

why should they Final fantasy is an Original idea Tales of ??? is a slight spinoff sheez you dont have to ask me ask squaresoft

Basic games
    RPG > Fighting
    Squaresoft<> namco
    we dont know what is better we dint know but we're just saying now im going before this becomes flaming. theres gonna be more people who defend square

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Well, duh. This is a Final Fantasy forum.

I still think Namco is my favorite because I really like some of their games.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

By that logic FF needs to stop ripping off of Dragon Quest. It came first after all.

RPG > Fighting is true but
    Fighting, Racing, Action, Adventure, Flight > RPG

Stop saying Namco's sucess was in the past because it has had CONSTANT sucess. I was using fighting as an example of something they have that square doesn't.

Why are you even bringing consoles into this? You do realize that Namco is SOOO big that they develop for every console and even ahve multi-platform games...right? Yeah...so why are you even bringing up consoles? If anything we should bring up that square doesn't put out a whole lot of games and the ones out side FF have sucked(THE Bouncer, driving emotion type s, drag-on dragoon and other piles of crap).

Also answer me this. Who is square's brilliant composer?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

Nobuo Uematsu id like to hear better game music than that

RPG has many categories theres Platform Rpgs, Tactical RPGs, Shooting RPGs and Fighting RPGs and many more

Fighting, Racing, Action, Adventure, Flight < MMORPG

MORE gamers have heard of Final Fantasy than this Tales thing I watch Gamezville and it was clearly Stated by many Gaming magazines and this programme Final Fantasy Is one one of the greatest game series ever and you know what it's still growing its has games varying from adventure, MMORPG, Shooting- Tactical
    its still the greater RPG series but hey its your oppinion im disagreeing about im im telling the truth about Final Fantasy being more successfull than Tales and Xenosaga.

Good Night

heres another one
    Truth > Lies
    the question is whats the lie and whats the truth youll have to find out yourself

Square also Had Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger and Xenogears

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I'm sorry. Anything > MMORPG

As for Nobou...he doesn't work at square. He quit. So...who is square's brilliant composer you speak of and need I remind you that we are talking NOW and not in the past as you seem to have to keep reminding people about.

Those games are 5 and 7 years old(Chrono Cross, Xenogears). Beside the people who made those games left square and now work at Namco.

Square has always had a variety of games...just none of them were good and always sucked. The only thing they are good at is RPGs and even then they fail half the time outside of FF(I think they fail half the time with FF). The also will not support those adventure or shooting titles to make them a series.

More gamers have heard of FF rather than Tales or Xenosaga but also niether one of those series have been around for near 20 years.

I am not really going to comment on your subgenre of RPG because anyone can break anything down more to make it look like more.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

omfg Square is so awesome I luv it!

Get over it. You're defending a COMPANY like someone would defend a religion.

Shoden, werent you just talking about how terrible IX and X are? And X-2? And how terrible XII looks? Soooo... if we're talking about the PRESENT, doesnt that mean Square sucks now?

And do note, I'm not saying Square sucks. I like a lot of their RPGs. I do have the presence of mind to realize, however, that Square is not God, and that there are plenty of good companies out there, Namco included. If you're limiting yourself to Square out of some deluded loyalty, you're missing out on a lot of great games. Square did not corner the market on good RPGs.

Articles

To add another element to the debate, let's discuss exactly what is being argued in regards to which company is superior to the other.

Shoden, you're largely arguing from the angle that the FF series (and not Square as a whole, I might add) is more popular and has done better commercially than the Tales series and other Namco series (and not Namco itself as a company, I must point out). It's a good argument.

I'm looking at it from a different perspective, however, and I think many of the people who have posted in this thread are sharing that perspective.

I have no idea which corporation is more financially successful, and I'm not about to look up fiscal year earnings or anything of the sort because, to be honest, I think it's irrelevant. I believe the original intention of the thread was to discuss which company is better at developing fun, original, high quality games and game series.

I think it goes without saying that the most profitable games are not necessarily the best, and this is evidenced by the fact that some of the best selling games are licensed rubbish and half-arsed franchise sequels.

Obviously, I like the Final Fantasy series, or else I wouldn't have signed up to post on a message board titled "Eyes on Final Fantasy". In addition, Chrono Trigger and Xenogears are probably my two personal favorite RPGs, both developed by Square. On the other hand, though, Square has made some games I thought were horrible. Every company has. Square is not a "god company". They also have little strength in any genre other than RPGs.

I don't favor Namco by a tremendous margin, but it was still a fairly easy choice to make. Namco has developed many wonderful games, and more importantly, I've played few Namco games that I didn't particularly care for. Namco also gains points for the fact that they've recruited the former-Square Xenogears team.

*kicks gentials* j/k. But honestly. I have a few points to cover.
    1. Hmmmm...Better than Nobuo Uematsu...hmmmmmmmm...Lets see...Mitsuda, anyone? He completely owns Nobuo. Mitsuda has composed the grandest, most famous game soundtracks in existance; 3 that I shall note, in fact. Xenogears, Xenosaga Episode I: Der Willie Zur Macht, and...Chrono Trigger. Three legendary RPGs with legendary soundtracks that perfectly fit. Basically, Nobuo's works in my opinion (for the most part) are somewhat bland and not very artistic. And music is an art, no?! FFVII has an overrated soundtrack, and its probably considered Nobuo's definative work. Xenogears, on the other hand? Friggin' awesome, enigmatic, always fitting and never failing to send chills down your spine! I havent played Chrono yet, but XS also is very artsy, unique, talented, has a full orchestra, and a good one in fact (London Philiharmonic *probably a spelling error*)...you get the idea...if you played these somewhat more discreet titles.
    2. If you look at the list of titles, you see one defining series and other little-known names...on which list? Square/Squeenix. Even though FF is a genre definition to most...Most of the newer ones (PS2/some PSone, and you know which one...) are failures! FFXI is a time sink. FFX-2 is a soft-soft-softcore B- Jpnese Bikini flic. FFX has too many negative characters to be an epic but it isn't too bad...FFVIII? Dont even make me start! Squeenix isn't perfect and it screws up quite often. But never fear...I love IX, I love VII, I will probably love VI when I play it from what Ive heard. Namco has...Xenosaga! EPIC!! Beauty in its finest! Tales! Famous RPG series. Some nice fighting titles and other things of the sort. In all, an intriguing company, not as rich and not as corrupt!
    leading to my next point...
    3. SE is...evil. Greedy. Just plain mean and needy. Needy and needed, suits them well.
    I have delved into very reliable sources for this story. Just tell me if it isn't what really happened...if it didn't and you know for a fact.
    XENOGEARS-A brilliant, controversial NOVEL written by the master of epic plots himself.
    Hideo
    Kojima
    He wrote it as a novel, but then decided that he truely wanted to try it as a pioneering RPG concept. He took it to his own Konami but they gave excuses. The development center complained, saying that there was not a sufficient amount of experience with that type of RPG in the company, and also complaining about how controversial that release could become. He pondered the RPG kings...and eventually sold to the highest bidder; Squeeny.
    So, Takasashi's Monolith Soft Square branch edited and made it into an RPG. Takasashi, of course, improved it and wrote in some things most likely.
    Well, what does this have to do with Square? Well, MS went to work for Namco because they would not have any time restrictions on the Xeno Universe dream. Takasashi complained that he could not fulfill his uber awesome timeline with Squares production rushes that harmed the 2nd Disks everything *except story*. BUT! Square produced its underground hit, but once the XG team (MS) left them, they kept the rights. Who knows who owns them today...Greedy! They should give their rights to the rightful owners, I think.
    Also, their post-FFVII FFVII project (insert annoying name here) is just a sham for money in my eyes (for the most part). FFVII: AC looks awesome, but I cannot agree with some of their moves. Dirge of Ceberus is ridiculous; basically a MGS ripoff with some FFVII characters and seemingly no correlation between the plots. How could an RPG company with little experience in much else pull that off...and its a sham indeed, anyways...Last time they overstepped their same boundaries of RPGs, they came up with Ergheiz. Brilliant.

Namco is INNOCENT compared to Squeenix. And ever since Square became a merged company (SE), most everything has metamorphosed into bull****. Some wont agree, yes, but look at my reasons above, no? Yes?
    mmm, citan
    You are Citan/Hyuga. You make brains so very sexy.

Which Xenogears Character Are You? (With Pictures)
    brought to you by Quizilla

Pretty much everything you said there about Xenogears is complete and utter bull.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryûkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

And how can you possibly call Dirge of Cerberus a Metal Gear Solid rip-off when all we have to go on are a few screenshots? You also seem to think Ehrgeiz was Square's last non-RPG game, which is about as ignorant of them as certain people are about Namco.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Enix

Seriously though I don't have a preference, I'll buy from any company that makes a game that I might want to play.

I prefer Square to Namco 'cause I like both some FFs and the Chronos, whilst Namco only does it for me with Tekken.

Xenogears. Hideo Kojima. Ahahahaha, even Hideo would wet himself over that.
    That's really my hair.

"Faris, Calvin; you don't seem to understand! This is not a thread about homosexuality! Girls can love Barret! Guys can love Barret! It's not gay! Barret's love is beyond any form of gay-ness. It is transcendent; like the sun and moon and stars! It's like loving God! Would you say a boy who loves God is gay? That's what I thought!

So please, don't fight. Just spead the love! And the Barret sexyness. RAWR! =D~"

- Linxiaotuzi

Squares only Downfall was the movie that they made. But AC looks to make up for it

TIE

Seriously, the FF series (only really good Square games I've played) is usually a blast, but Namco has the Tales of series, the Soul series, as well as many older games I still enjoy now. So, if forced to choose, I guess I'd say Namco by a smidgen.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Being Who Transcended All Black Mage's Avatar

Enix. Namco. Square.

In that order.

And to the fellow bad mouthing Tales games: You, sir, have obviously never played Tales of Phantasia. Please go out and play some games by someone other than Square before sharing your opinions, and if you have, then by all means, please tell us why Final Fantasy is better than said games with reasons other than "FF is more popular", or "More people know about FF".

If your arguement is that the Tales games are ' just wannabe Final Fantasy games they're alright but dont even compare to its superiors at Squaresoft" then please remember that Final Fantasy started off as a "wannabe" Dragon Quest.