Thread: Xenogears and religion?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Default Xenogears and religion?

I've heard a lot about the religious allusions and overtones of Xenogears...what do you guys think some of them were and what do you think of them?

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i dont see it. i cant find any religious undertones in the game whatsoever. dunno what ppl are talkin about.

(。◕‿‿◕。) Recognized Member Jojee's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Xenogears attacks God and the church. The plot basically is in lieu with killing God. The game makes multiple allusions to the bible (the first lines of text in the game are a direct passage), but the problem lies within the fact that the ideas from the Bible are twisted to appear evil. for example, when *spoilers so I won't say* a young boy's faith is shattered when he discovers the church he had devoted his life to turns out to be nothing more than a front for a hidden government to control the people. And late in the game you find yourself fighting seraphs and Deus. A young Fei is also seen covered in blood. While the fight for freedom from evil is there, much of the game content and message is offensive to Christians.

Wat
    is
    going
    on
    wtf
    rawr

I'd say The Ethos represents the negative aspects of the Catholic Church, and the Nisan Sect its positive aspects. The Ethos controlled the economy, much like the papal states, whereas the Nisan Sect mostly just did good deeds, and harbored rebellions against Solaris.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

All the religious references are just there to make the game seem "deep." They're entirely superficial and often nonsensical.

Most of them, yes. I thnk there's a few exceptions, but overall... yeah.

On the other hand, does anyone accuse Valkyrie Profile of the same thing? They're just both mythology to the Japanese.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I liked the Nisan/Ethos dichotomy, and just because you (SPOILER)Kill Deus, it doesn't mean you kill the true GOD, you just kill an entity that has been controlling all life. It doesn't mean there isn't a higher power in that world besides Deus, the issue is just never addressed.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

If there's any entity to be equated with God in the Xenogears world, it's not Deus, it's the Wave Existence.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Aye, Deus would be more akin to a "false idol."

And most of the religious references in 'gears (and in 'saga) are pretty superficial, like 'Kishi said.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

The thing about the Xenogears religious references being superficious...some, not all and you know it. I agree with the Nisan/Ethos Catholic sides. Ethos represents the corruption and the secular areas of that particular Christian branch and Nisan represents the true faith aspect. I am a Roman Catholic, but I do not align myself with this evil. It is just as corrupt as XG makes it out to be, and I consider myself a nondenomination Christian.
    Actually, if anything, yes, the WE is more like Heaven though the one Fei speaks to is our God, the real God. YOU DO NOT "KILL" GOD. Whoever feels this way is obviously just out to bash different ideas.
    "Take me as you will..."
    When Fei Fong Wong speaks with God through the WE/Zoha, this statement makes it appeal to all religions (except ignorant aetheists, of course, who shouldn't be playing XG in the first place). I like this a lot.
    Xenogears is actually a truely pro-Christian message at the end of the day. I know, for one, that it has enhanced my faith greatly and brought many an aetheist to Christianity. Take me as you will.
    mmm, citan
    You are Citan/Hyuga. You make brains so very sexy.

Which Xenogears Character Are You? (With Pictures)
    brought to you by Quizilla

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Doomgaze
    On the other hand, does anyone accuse Valkyrie Profile of the same thing? They're just both mythology to the Japanese.
    Yes, there are a lot of superficial references to Catholicism and Christianity in the items of the game. One forum had a popular topic about a Christian concerned about an item called "The Book of Everlasting Life" which, in its description, said that it was written by a fool or something.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Hey, I'm an atheist (though not ignorant), does that mean I can't enjoy this game all of a sudden? FYI I'm quite into theology and the like, even if I don't believe in it. Can't one be fascinated in the actions of those he sees as blind or somesuch?
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Ouch. It would be interesting to know why you stopped believing, just out of curiousity.

P.S.-(I know everyone probably thinks Im some kind of nuts Evangalist wacko who hates everything...but actually, Im quite openminded. I take back my bash-the-aetheists thing)
    mmm, citan

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Religious debates belong in General Chat or Eyes on Each Other or World Events. If you want to start one, do it there.

Hmmm, I said I was done with the debating, it was just a little question about why he was what he was...I apologize, but w/e.

Back on topic, someone? Or should someone close it?
    mmm, citan