Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: foreign movies

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leeza
    Yes I am. I'm missing all of the scenery shots.
    gotta be careful with that tunnel vision inside a tv

run lola run
    the princess and the warrior

French:
    Amelie
    Jeux d'enfants (Love me if you dare)
    Les Choristes
    Le Papillon
    A La Folie

German:
    Goodbye Lenin

Japanese:
    Dark Water
    The Ring
    Battle Royale

Hmm I just observed something...it's interesting that British films are considered foreign, coz err i've never considered them to be one, although their industry produced a good many movies
    Develop interest in life as you see it; in people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself.

Henry Miller

~Amriel the Archangel~ Dking'squeen's Avatar

i have a stack of chinese movies like Mushu*i think*, the duel, once upon a time in china, dragon inn, and some others that are really good. i love them, esspecially with the subtitles because it forces me to read and watch at the same time
    *You know it's over, growing colder, I need something, leads me next to nothing...*

*All we ever wanted, I need something, leads me next to nothing...*

Foreign, of course, depends on where one is from, so for me, "foreign" films are those made outside of the USA:

Bridge On The River Kwai - Perhaps the greatest war character study ever made, and one of the greatest epics of all time. The performances capture both the intensity and the madness that IS war.

Lawrence Of Arabia - The greatest epic film ever made. Along with Kwai, Lean's masterpieces. His patience for the shots and unflinching view of the action, or stillness make this film a step above all others, not because of plot or story, but because of the overwhelming visual mastery, the likes of which are only topped by, in my opinion, 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - From the instant the warriors take flight, this film captured my imagination, the marriage of poetry of images with grace and the overwhelming meditation on life dazzle me to this day.

Princess Mononoke - In much the same way as CTHD, this film dazzles and delights me, more because the full power of imagination is on display and yet, it still takes time for quiet philosophy as it tries to grapple with life and love.

LOTR Trilogy - This generation's greatest epic, the likes of which will probably never be seen again either. To me, they must always be judged as one single movie, broken down into three parts, and not three seperate films.

Talk To Her - A favorite of mine because I adore the director, Pedro Almodóvar. His use of color and understanding of the subtle aspects to the world are second to none. He truly is one of the best directors working today in my opinion.

Monty Python And The Holy Grail - The Holy Grail of Comedy, second to none in its inspiration, execution, and absurdity. Generations will still be quoting this film even a 100 years from now.

Take care all.

~Amriel the Archangel~ Dking'squeen's Avatar

had i had known, i would have said LOTR and Princess Mononoke too! and Kiki's delivery service and Spirited Away
    *You know it's over, growing colder, I need something, leads me next to nothing...*

*All we ever wanted, I need something, leads me next to nothing...*

Japanese:
    Yomigaeri: Resurrection
    Zatoichi
    Ringu
    One Missed Call
    Seven Samurai
    Spirited Away
    The Twilight Samurai
    Shall We Dance? (US tries once again to remake a Japanese hit.)
    Taboo
    The Eel

Chinese:
    Barefoot Kid (one of the first Chinese movies I've seen)
    House of Flying Daggers
    Ju Dou
    Young and Dangerous Series
    The Road Home

I also watched my very first Thai film.
    It's called Shutter. It follows the road of horror movies like The Ring, Grudge, One Missed Call..
    It's not really a good movie but I'll give it some merit for trying to be like the Ring, although it doesn't reach the peak like its counter-parts.

If you liked Grave of Fireflies.. try She, The Final Weapon
    It's abit too emotional though..
    .... Kiritsu! Rei!

I watch Indian movies, sometimes. They're really very nice!!! Me likes! I don't usually watch Korean or Japanese films coz...they scary. ;_;
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

KK - apart from all the obvious american films. eg - LOTR. etc...

i have watched and loved...

Versus - Japan
    Battle Royal 1 & 2 - Japan
    Ring - Japan
    Audition - Japan
    Shogun assasin - Japan
    Once we're warriors -Austrailia
    Merials Wedding - Austrailia (What a great film)
    Zatoichi - Japan

Oh - and some French film called 'IRREVERSIBLE' which i reccomend to anyone with a strong stomach. This film is so powerful if a little sick. Infact i wouldnt watch this film unless you are fully prepared to have a major shock - After i watched it, i couldnt stop thinking about it for nearly a week. And now, when i talk about it - i sometimes feel physically sick. But it's still a wicked film. great acting.
    I've killed an awful lot of people to get to this point. And nothing is going to stop me now. I'm on my way to the last one, the only one left, the final person, The last name on my list.. And when i arrive at my destination. I will KILL LIL.

Snatch ( I THINK this is British)
    man, that movie is awesome. i can't believe i forgot about it. yes, it is british.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Lots and lots and lots and lots.

Signature by rubah. I think.