Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dean To Head DNC

Default Dean To Head DNC

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...l_ge/democrats

Thoughts? Opinions? What must he do to strengthen the party in your mind?

A great quote I found from the San Francisco Chronicle makes a strong point for me:

"A good rule of thumb in American politics is that the party whose philosophy is identified with boldness and idealism is in the best position to become dominant. The Democrats will know they are making progress when their candidates no longer fear the word "liberal," the way Ronald Reagan transformed "conservative" from the ashes of 1964 into a label that Republicans eagerly embrace."

Take care all.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think Dean is good for the Democrats, you need a dynamic leader to rise to power every now and then and shake things up.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I like that he became the chairman. I think he said he was not going to focus as much on the presidency as he was going to focus on local and state governements. I think he can really help the party and that it is a good choice.

Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

I don't have a problem with it at all. In fact, it's probably a good thing. Dean gets a bad rap because of essentially one thing he did that really shouldn't even matter. He does have some good ideas and can still play a significant role in the Democratic party even if he doesn't run for president again, which I'm pretty sure he won't. I believe he promised that if he was chosen as chairman he wouldn't run again.

Dean seems to be the Democrat with the most guts... SO i support it. I have a problem with todays democratic parties meekness, it disgusts me how they let Republicans walk all over them. Maybe Dean can embolden them.

It's about freakin' time.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain
    "The Democrats will know they are making progress when their candidates no longer fear the word "liberal," the way Ronald Reagan transformed "conservative" from the ashes of 1964 into a label that Republicans eagerly embrace."
    Exactly. I really dislike the way Bush and his camp through that word around during the 2004 campaign. Once the Democrats learn to not be phased by such generalizations and say, "Hey, who cares? Looks at what we're doing, and not at what people label us". Then, and only then will they make headway with people that doubted them in the past. I think Dean can lead them in that direction.

All in all, Dean represents a spark, which is something the Democrats really need. I still think Barack Obama is the best candidate for President, from either party, but if Dean can find a way to bring Liberal America back to a more even stance, than Obama's election would be much easier and perhaps much more productive if he is indeed elected.

A question I have is, can Democrats handle Dean's honesty? It got him in trouble earlier, but I also think it showed his bravery and gusto, which will be vital in fixing the party.

Take care all.

They better get ready to handle his honesty. If they aren't then they need to shut the up and deal with it. He said in the past what was wrong with the party and a lot things and I want him to continue to say those sorts of things until the stuff is fixed.

Barack Obama is a good choice for the presidency but I would not count on him running while he is still a senator for IL. Being from IL I have heard him talk quite a bit and I don't think he is the type of person who would stop being senator because he was elected by the people to be a senator. He seems like the type of person who finishes his obligations first.

"Barack Obama is a good choice for the presidency but I would not count on him running while he is still a senator for IL. Being from IL I have heard him talk quite a bit and I don't think he is the type of person who would stop being senator because he was elected by the people to be a senator. He seems like the type of person who finishes his obligations first."

That in a nutshell is why he SHOULD be President. Why have we, as a country settled for Presidents that seem to be "Everyday, Normal Folk" to use a Bushism, when the President should be someone above and beyond normal?

I don't expect Obama to run in 2008, but I think he could be a great President and lead our country in the most positive direction possible if and when he does. He already has my vote from hearing him speak, from reading his book, and from researching his life. He is, quite frankly, an extraordinary man.

Take care all.

Yes he is and I am damn glad he is my senator. I think he would make an excellent president and I agree that what I posted is a good example of why he should. Look at it this way. If the democrates lose in 2008 then he could run for president in 2012 as his IL term would be up in 2010. Perfect timing to start running. Or he could do another term if dems win and run in 2016.

I will personally write him a letter asking him to run for president if it seriously looks that bad for 2008 when the time comes.

I'll write him too, even if the country is headed in the right, though hopefully not "Right" direction.

To try and bring Dean back into this discussion, do you think he should focus his efforts on finding the next candidate right away or should he wait and see what happens before beginning to pin the hopes of the party on someone, even someone who would do as well, in my opinion, as Obama?

Take care all.

I think he should focus on smaller governement. State level such as state senates and governements. Get the democrates back in there first and for most. If the locals do a great job then it will tell the people that they know what they are doing and do a good job. It will give people confidence to vote democratic in bigger elections then. I think I read that republicans take more power in the smaller governement type stuff at a rate of almost 97% of the time or something like that. This is new governements I am talking about. I don't think they should focus on the presidency quite so soon though. Take time to figure out where you are headed and what you want to do and accomplish over a period of time. You can't rush this sort of thing either. You have to build a firm foundation to stand on for a while.

Agreed once again. Hey Ed, ever consider being a Party Strategist? We need someone to counteract Karl Rove.

Take care all.

I can only really say as much as I have. I am totally ignorant as to how to go about doing something like that. On top of that I am also vastly ignorant on where to find anything on how to get involved.