Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kain Connection

Default The Kain Connection

Did anyone else notice that in the GBA version of FFII, the kid in the Dragoon's castle is named Kain? Is this just a funny reference, or does it imply that FFII and FFIV are set in the same world, and that the Kain of FFIV is (SPOILER)the son of the FFII Richard?
    "Take care, Ho!"
    - Dwarf from FFIV

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

It has to be a reference, simply because of the state of the world of II. Does the world of IV look anything like it? Not that I can see. None of those Kingdoms are in existance in the world of IV. There's too much difference and not enough time elapsed (if he's the son, then it would have to be... what, 10 years?) for it be the same world.

just another of Squares references. Even if they're in the same world they wouldnt take place a year or so after each other. Square doesnt play it that way. Thered be about a 1,000 years in between or something like that. They often make several references to Kain anyway , Kains Lance is a weapon that makes several appearances in the series.

Probarly indeed a reference. I don't know if the orginal name of the kid in the NES-version of FFII was Kain. It can easily be a reference to FFIV that only appears in Dawn of Souls. So are there more reference in Dawn of Souls that aren't there before.

Moogle:
    1. Catlike creature. Has a large red ball on it's head attached by a long hair. Some can fly. Some can fight. Some are lazy bastards. All say Kupo (or Puu)

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

If I recall correctly, there was never any mentioning of the kid's name at all in the original. They just kinda threw it in for tradition's sake. Sorta like how FFI DoS mentions that the airship was created by Cid.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

They also threw in the fact that Richard's last name is Highwind. Other characters bearing this name in the series include Cain Highwind (FFIV), Alexander Highwind Tycoon (FFV), and Cid Highwind (FFVII). Both Cain and Cid are Dragon Knight-type characters, and King Tycoon at least has a horned helmet. Since Richard was the first Dragon Knight to appear in a Final Fantasy game, it was appropriate to retroactively fit him with this name.

Maybe Square has a grand vision where all the games take place in the same world, with a fistful of centuries between each game? They made a seriously strong suggestion to it in X-2 and VII. Maybe each new game will continue revealing as the series draws to a close?

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Nah, it's just fanservice.

Default References!!

Also in DoS, but inside the extra dungeon lifeSprings grotto, the dancing girls (I hope somebody knows what I am talking about...kupo...if not go check it out!!) mention another new remake FF reference. In this case, they say something about "Theatre Troupe Tantalus" and the song "I Want to be Your Canary" that appear in FFIX. This, again, is just to keep us fans who notice such thigs, kupo, happy... Square has been doing that always and I think that it stands as an important reason of why the series have been so popular with lifetime-long fans.

I honeslty believe that it's a reference. But it's cool though because Square Enix is trying to tell us that all FFs are tied together somehow.
    Kain being the son of Richard? That's cool

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

And what about all the evidence to the contrary, that it would be impossible for Kain to be Richard's son?

What do you mean?

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I've stated it before in this thread.

How could the world change so much in so little time? The world map of II looks nothing like the world map of IV. The villages and castles in II do not exist in IV. If Kain was Richard's son, the most time that could have past would be 20 years. And that's being liberal. How could a world change so much in 20 years? It doesnt fit. The world of IV is completly different and seperate from the world of II. If it were the same world, it would take millions of years to change so drastically, or a big event... but regardless, it all amounts to the fact that the times dont add up for Kain to be Richard's son.

edit - and by Kain, I mean Kain Highwind of IV. Yes, Richard's son is named Kain. He's not Kain Highwind, however.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Well, techncally he is Kain Highwind, just not the Kain Highwind from FFIV.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Smart ass xP

<3