Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: End of Final Fantasy VIII?

End of Final Fantasy VIII?

Can anyone explain exatly what happened in the end movie?

Default spoilers in here alright...

ok... it's been a while, especially because my disc4 has a scratch on it and freezes during the last movie! BUT: here's my interpretation/recollection:

they defeat Ultimecia and they decide to go back to their time. The group all decide to head for the orphanage - a place that symbolises there strong emotional connection with one another (remember laguna said that the only way to survive in a time compressed world is to believe in your friends existance, and they will believe in yours? to get back, they need to head to a place they all know and are connected by). So, they all go to the orphanage. Squall, however, always filled with insecurity about being left alone and deserted... cannot reach the same place as the others, and goes back to the point where Edea accepts Ultimecia's powers (and at the same time tells her about Garden and SeeD, which she will start later and train him in the first place! ARG! I'm getting a headache! damn time travel!) then leaves because thats not where he belongs. This feeling of not belonging play's on him once again (as it has his whole life) and he starts to feel lost. When he see's Rinoa, who doesnt answer, he starts to walk through the endless landscape - symbolic of his mind - searching for those that he loves. But he can't find them... they have abandoned him! (thats what he thinks anyway), then he starts to see Rinoa, all the times she has been in his life... climaxing when he space helmet breaks (her death). This is too much for Squall and he starts to drown in time. Rinoa then decides to find Squall... go to their special place ("...if you come here, you'll find me. i promise...") She finds him, but he's already gone... lost in time. She starts to weep, but these tears prove to the slowly dying squall that he is not alone and he wakes up.

woooo. thats the first part. If i remember right, the garden then goes over balamb and seifer, raijin and fujin are a posse once more, seifer seeing the garden reminds him of his rival and the times that he spent in the garden and the memories he shares with the crew (orphanage) and is content.

flash to Laguna! he is at peace now... and looks back to his lover, Raine. (flashback) They were 'married' in a sense and always loved one another, even tho laguna wasn't there when she died and when there son was born (i'm led to believe that it's squall... and it makes sense).

MY GAME FREEZES HERE, SO IM GOING FROM MEMORY

back to the present, and laguna is at raine's grave with ellone, kiros and ward. all are happy, laguna is with the ones he loves and is happy.

alright... dont remember whats next... maybe the credits? during the credits, it shows everyone at Garden... all except Squall and Rinoa. The video camera shows the crew around and about, choking on food (zell) hitting on chicks (irvine) etc etc. Then, the camera battery dies as we see rinoa on the balcony. afterwards we see her on the balcony as a shooting star goes past. Just like before, she smiles across the room, at squall, who is SMILING!!!! the two kiss. a happy ending! WHOOOO!

think thats it. wow. corrections or additions? please post! my games busted
    DIE AND BE FREE OF PAIN, OR LIVE AND FIGHT YOUR SORROW
    I'll be waiting, so if you come here, you'll find me. I PROMISE.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

that sounds about right. the world is returning from the effects of almost-being-time-compressed which is when they're running around with little motion trails, squall forgets to think of love friendship and courage, some people say rinoa uses her sorceress powers to revive him and the entire world around him. I think she was just the love and friendship and courage he needed to find his way back

and don't forget raijin showing off his balamb fish (did he finally end up catching the right one? It'd be sad if squall and company saved the world from time compression just so he could go and catch the nasty badamb fish again:P) and getting kicked. That was priceless.

oh and kalaboro, yay arkansas. You dont' see many people from here online, seems like

Don't forget, during the party at the end, you get to see Edea and Cid together, like a happy couple should be.

Whenever Laguna proposed to Raine that night, I cried, becuase you know that she dies. Such a sad part.

And Squall being Laguna's son, is a DEFINITE fact. Kiros and Ward tell Squall sometime on disc 3, that they're glad Squall took after his mom in the looks department and not his dad. >.< haha.
    Currently looking to have a new sig made.

Gird's Grace be upon you.

Yeah, FF finishes exactlly as it should (as mitch mentioned) and it's just enough to tie the story together for the ending. Oh and let's not forget that we alse get to see thoose "gifts from fairies Laguna mentiones about in his dreams" as the Balamb Garden hovers above Laguna and the others
    "I'll be alright..."
    "...Because I'm not alone"
    "If I scream out, they will answer"

Remember, in the end you are not alone. You will always have your friends, and as long as there is something to fight for, there is hope for redemption.

you can download the ff8 ending at www.bluelaguna.net if you want to see it for your self and cant be botheired completeing it
    Heaven wont have me and Hell thinks ill take over

so when Ultimecia appears to Edea (in the past ) and transfers her powers to her, does that mean anything ? i haven't played in quite a long while , but Edea got her powers from Adel ?

Edea got her powers from an unknown sorceress at 5, and then again from Ultimecia, as seen in the ending.

It does make up a loop, like so:

Edea receives powers from Ultimecia-Edea gives powers to Rinoa-Rinoas powers move on and eventually reach Ultimecia-Ultimecia gives Edea her powers-Etc.

This is because of the timetravelling done in the ending causes a sort of loop in time which makes circularity like that perfectly natural.

A Perpetual X-Phile ShivaBlizzard8's Avatar

Right - Edea's powers had nothing to do with Adel. Some people suspected that Edea recieved her powers from Adel because they thought Adel was dead, but that is not the case. Adel is very much alive for most of the game and retains her own powers. When you defeat Adel on disc 3 (or is it 4?), Rinoa absorbs Adel's powers.

And she already had the powers that she got from Edea. So she becomes the most powerful sorceress in the history of the world! Bwa ha ha ha ha!
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Not only that but he ONLY sorcerer left in the world. If not then Laguna would definately won't be that positive of Ultimecia used other person

i know that Edea already had sorceress powers , but what good does it do for Ultimecia to go back and time and give it to her , when in the present, Rinoa has it now ? if that meeting did end up altering the present , then does that make Edea still a sorceress ?

i know that Edea already had sorceress powers , but what good does it do for Ultimecia to go back and time and give it to her , when in the present, Rinoa has it now ?
    I don't understand, sorry. Could you try and rephrase that(don't hesitate spelling it out for me).

if that meeting did end up altering the present , then does that make Edea still a sorceress
    Not as we see her in the end of the game, no. But it certainly didn't change anything, so it doesn't matter.

what i was asking was what is the point in Ultimecia going to the past to give Edea her powers when she (Edea) doesn't have her powers any longer . and, if the past is altered, it also alters the present , so maybe Edea is a sorceress again ?
    Last edited by Yuffie514; 03-11-2005 at 06:38 PM.

Ultimecia gave Edea her powers before Edea lost her powers. Before Ultimecia ever possessed Edea, for that matter.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.