Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MORTAL KOMBAT!

Default MORTAL KOMBAT!

No game has sparked anger between parents and media more than Mortal Kombat. It's thanks to this game that the VRC (Videogames Rating Council) was born. That later gave way to the ESRB, (Entertainment Software Rating Board.) which is used to this very day. Fighting has never been bloodier than that series. Here's a look at its history.

Mortal Kombat-Blood and guts, galore. Pissed off parents. Joe Lieberman recruits Captain Kangaroo to lash out against the game. Good times.
    Mortal Kombat II-Better than the first, with 12 playable characters and the introductions of Friendships and Babalities.
    MK3-The proverbial, "jump the shark," game. It had more characters, but they had left out such fan favorites as Raiden, Scorpion, and Baraka. Also, the Run button was unimpressive.
    Ultimate MK3-What Mortal Kombat 3 should've been.
    Mortal Kombat Trilogy-The best of the 3 games.
    Mortal Kombat Mythologies, Sub Zero-Failed attempt at making an RPG of the series.
    Mortal Kombat 4-This is where business picks up. New characters, the introduction of weapons, and it's in 3D.
    Special Forces-Another, "jump the shark," moment for the series.
    Deadly Alliance-Redemption for Special Forces. It plays a lot like an RPG. Can't get too into detail, because I've yet to play this one.
    Deception-The prequel/sequel to the series. If you have a week's vacation coming up, and you want to stay home, give it a whirl. You won't be sorry.
    Last edited by Crazy the Clown; 02-16-2005 at 05:44 PM.

Mortal Kombat didn't impress me. I think people only like it because you can violently kill somebody, such a boring, slow, and terrible fighter.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

why couldnt all fighting games involve as much gore and entertainment as Mortal Kombat event he ovies pwned

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Get over here!

I liked MK. It's a nice simple fighting game. And fatalities rock.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

It was a fad.

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

Mortal Kombat may not be the most solid fighter out there, but it has one hell of a story.

To hell with Battletoads and Double Dragon.
    THIS is the ultimate team.

One hundred, no! One THOUSAND times better than Guilty Gear! And Steetfighter!

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Personally, I like MK. A lot. It's pretty addicting, especially for a fighting game. Probably because there's a lot that you can do BESIDES fight. So yeah, good games.

--Box Box Box Box

Yeah they're cool games, I really don't like the 3D ones though, they suck.

Very nice fighter with additional blood. Enough said. Oh, and some killer voices at the time.

"Get over here!"
    "Finish Him"
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

See, MK lacks the speed and stratagy that good fighters have, like King of Fighters or Guilty Gear. You can litterally do the same move ten times and win. None of the characters statistcs had any difference, they were just different fighters withe same same stats and different looks and moves. The game emphisizes on gore and not enough on fun fighting physics. Granted this game is simple but offers almost no challege, anybody with two braincells can play this game and be decent.

You can pull of moves only by pressing about two or three buttons, while in REAL fighting games you need timing, precision, and skill to do good in these games. Now if the MK series was done using the same fighting engine used by SNK or Capcom THEN the game would be good.

And the fatalities? Stupidest concept I ever heard of, you defeat your opponent in a contest of might, the lost gets his guts strewn about in the most rediculous ways possible.

The storyline and the characters however are not bad. Sub-Zero's really cool.

I'm for one am glad they didn't use the crappy fighting physics they used in MK1-4 in the newer MK games.

What I think might have made the games alot better is if the developers concentrated less on gore and gave the games more of a stratgic, and fast paced fighting engine like used in King of Fighters of Garou Mark of the Wolves and added super moves (Having a gauge at the bottom of the screen under your opponents life bar that fills up when your opponent takes or gives damage, and when it is full then he/she can do things with that bar's energy, like increase attack, defense, speed, and dextarity and also allow him/her to pull of a powerful special move that can do some major damage but consomes the bars energy. An exaple of this is used in Street Fighter 3 with Ryu doing Shinkuu-hadouken).

I think MK is the fighting game for people who don't take fighting games seriously.

I DO WHAT I WANT. YOU HAVE PROBLEM?

Quote Originally Posted by Quina
    I think MK is the fighting game for people who don't take fighting games seriously.
    Good point
    Last edited by Erdrick Holmes; 02-16-2005 at 05:40 AM. Reason: To put in the bolds, italics, and underlines on parts that are needed to be known.

Can't wait for super unlockables on Deception to be released!
    Hell does not exist, but you can get there if you try.
    - Bad Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Joel
    anybody with two braincells can play this game and be decent.
    *Waves* Wonder why people like me, who aren't hardcore fighting game players but enjoy bouts now and then, like it.
    Don't get me wrong, I like games like the Street Fighter series, Soul series, and MArvel Vs. Capcom games, but sometimes I just wanna hit some buttons and do some damage and for this, there is Mortal Kombat.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel
    What I think might have made the games alot better is if the developers concentrated less on gore and gave the games more of a stratgic, and fast paced fighting engine like used in King of Fighters of Garou Mark of the Wolves and added super moves (Having a gauge at the bottom of the screen under your opponents life bar that fills up when your opponent takes or gives damage, and when it is full then he/she can do things with that bar's energy, like increase attack, defense, speed, and dextarity and also allow him/her to pull of a powerful special move that can do some major damage but consomes the bars energy. An exaple of this is used in Street Fighter 3 with Ryu doing Shinkuu-hadouken).
    But would it be Mortal Kombat then?
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.