Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ska/Punk

Default Ska/Punk

hey im just wondering if anyone likes the same music as me. Millencolin Bad Religion and streetlight manifesto. stuff like that.

punk is great when everything else fails. i love the ramones and other bands. bad religion is good, too. as for ska, i LOOOOVE ska. the aquabats, catch 22 and a lot of latin american ska bands are just great.

The only punk I like is Green Day..though they're probably half alternative too.

I'm not into punk that much, mainly because it's too loud at times...but Green Day strikes a chord with me.

Quote Originally Posted by radyk05
    punk is great when everything else fails. i love the ramones and other bands. bad religion is good, too. as for ska, i LOOOOVE ska. the aquabats, catch 22 and a lot of latin american ska bands are just great.
    could i get the names of some latin american ska. id like to hear it.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I dunno about Punk, but Ska is extremely underrated. My friend's brother is in a Ska band and they're really good and I bought their CD. Ska has just such a fun vibe that a lot of other genres are missing.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like usually like smart political punk like Bad Religion, but I don't really say no to anything.

And do you know who used to be a GREAT ska band? No Doubt. Seriously, before the Tragic Kingdom LP, that's pretty much all the did. Now...

Well, let's not talk about now.

Signature by rubah. I think.

never really been into ska or punk....i like early green day...thats about it.
    my friends at school were totally into punk but me being my outcast self i listened to pantera and such like.

Trust No one

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I adore punk rock; The Adicts, Narcoleptic Youth, Anti-Nowhere League, Lower Class Brats, Naked Aggression, The Buzzcocks... I could rant all day about it.

Ska is good too, but I'm not as into it as I used to be. Offhand I can think of Five Iron Frenzy, The Insyderz, The OC Supertones, Skankin Pickles, and of course; The Aquabats. Come to think of it, the ska I like best is Christian ska. There's so many good Christian ska bands, but not many good Christian punk bands. Huh. Never noticed that before.

As for the bands name here; No Doubt's early stuff was gold, I cant stand them now. Green Day as well, though I will admit American Idiot sticks in my head. Bad Religion is good, their new song (at least I think it's new) is great. Millencolin is okay, I've found most of their songs tend to sound the same to me.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Green Day is good, but they are horribly overplayed. I can't go 5 minutes in the car without hearing Boulevard of Broken Dreams. :/

Quote Originally Posted by la monk
    could i get the names of some latin american ska. id like to hear it.
    sure.
    los fabulosos cadillacs
    -download anything

desorden publico
    -download anything, specially politicos paraliticos and esto es ska

la mosca tse tse
    -anything

king chango
    -obsesion, latin ska

skapulario
    -anything

inspector
    -ska boobi voobie baby

there you go. fabulosos and mosca aren't 100% ska but theres lots of percution and wind instruments. they're about 11 members each. the same goes to king chango. come to think about it... download anything from all the bands

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

RX BANDITS

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Reel Big Fish used to be awesome. I don't know if they are now or not.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Oooh I forgot the Rx Bandits. I saw them a long time ago, with The Hippos.

Reel Big Fish were good a while ago, now not so much...

Hey, the Bosstones were good. "The Guns And The Young" was one of my favorite songs growing up. My bro would play it <i>constantly</i>.

I like 311, too. Ska is good, I just don't have the time to check out a lot of Ska groups.

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

I'm a far bigger fan of old school punk than i am of any new stuff (read as: anything played on the radio.) I know it's cliche, but it's gotten SOOOOOO Poppy. but then again, i'd probably be shot for saying I'm only just on the good side of the fence on The Clash. I love london calling and a number of songs on the Album, but as a whole, it's a bit to ska flavored for my taste. Gimme some fast dirty stuff. Ramones, Dead Kennedys, The Devotchka's, etc. Sex Pistols were good when they were dirty and ragged. (and yeah, for the underground purists, I follow a lot of lesser known stuff more than those listed above, and local bands, but it kinda defeats the purpose of defining the STYLE i'm in to to name 50 bands two people on this forum have ever listened to)