Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you think the gunblade functions anyway?

Default I can't believe nobody noticed this

If you look in the fmv sequences and in the battle sequences that have Seifer, you will find that the hyperion is not single edged but actually double edged. So therefore when Seifer was threatening President Deling he was actually threatening to slit his throat, not shoot him.

Also during the opening credits with the shot of Squall's gunblade in it's case. Since it is in black-and-white we cannot determine if the bullets are metal, all we know is that they are shiny, so they could be some sort of solidified energy. Giving more evidence to the energy theory.

It is my belief that the gunblade is powered by some sort of bullet containing compressed energy that when struck by the hammer is released. Therefore sending a shock of energy through the blade, this of course requires careful timing to do in the middle of a slash, which is why the art of the gunblade is said to be so difficult.

This would also explain why when Squall strikes his gunblade produces a big explosion, (due to the massive calibur of his bullets) while Seifer's only produces a small explosion (since it is of a lower calibur).

Alright… *sigh*

Definition:
    gun (gŭn) A weapon consisting of a metal tube from which a projectile is fired at high velocity into a relatively flat trajectory.

Now, exactly why would they name it a Gunblade if it didn’t have a gun (one that actually fires something)

The bullets in Squall’s case are metal and solid, and I really don’t think he would put those in for show.

But, meh, each to his own, I suppose, even in theories.

Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypticLeon
    Alright… *sigh*

Definition:
    gun (gŭn) A weapon consisting of a metal tube from which a projectile is fired at high velocity into a relatively flat trajectory.

Now, exactly why would they name it a Gunblade if it didn’t have a gun (one that actually fires something)

The bullets in Squall’s case are metal and solid, and I really don’t think he would put those in for show.

But, meh, each to his own, I suppose, even in theories.
    The gun mechanism itself is the gun part you're looking for there, Leon. All that implies is an explosive force producing a rush of force in a certain direction. That's the concept behind a real life gun's function: A contained explosion is produced, sealed off on all sides but one, the unsealed side allowing for an unanchored object to be propelled from the explosion in a specific direction.

The princple itself doesn't require that there be any projectiles involved. Anyway, the fact that they produce a large explosion alone is enough to show that they aren't ordinary "bullets." They're explosive shells that produce a vibration through the blade that will cause it to rend a greater wound as it passes into an opponent/object. Check out the Final Fantasy VIII Ultimania Guide or get someone to translate it for you if need be. That's what it says.

While it may not be the most practical weapon in existance, that's its design and function.

By the way, it's specifically referred to as a sword when using Scan on Squall.
    I love my Carys with all my heart.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Where the clouds part and the truth is revealed: Final Fantasy VII Analysis.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

Airship Engineer Hikaro Takayama's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Laura Beinbrech (Faerie)

Here's my theory (based on something I noticed in the opening FMV as well as when you trigger the gunblade during battle in the game):

I believe that the gunblade operates on the priciple of explosive, incindiary rounds, possibly made from plastic explosives (which would give them a shiny surface), that when fired, the explosion generated is expelled through vents on the side of the blade (I'll see about grabbing a SS of what I'm talking about tomorrow), which, if said blade was sticking inside of an enemy, would cause severe internal trauma.... a rather wicked close quarters weapon, if that's the case. Of course you'd need some powerful Steel-titanium-molybdenum alloy to even think of containing the pressures generated by such an explosion (although with the revolver, some of the excess pressure can leak out of the gap between the cylinder and the 'barrel').

Quote Originally Posted by Hikaro Takayama
    Here's my theory (based on something I noticed in the opening FMV as well as when you trigger the gunblade during battle in the game):

I believe that the gunblade operates on the priciple of explosive, incindiary rounds, possibly made from plastic explosives (which would give them a shiny surface), that when fired, the explosion generated is expelled through vents on the side of the blade (I'll see about grabbing a SS of what I'm talking about tomorrow), which, if said blade was sticking inside of an enemy, would cause severe internal trauma.... a rather wicked close quarters weapon, if that's the case. Of course you'd need some powerful Steel-titanium-molybdenum alloy to even think of containing the pressures generated by such an explosion (although with the revolver, some of the excess pressure can leak out of the gap between the cylinder and the 'barrel').
    Were that the case, when Seifer slashed Squall's face in the opening FMV, the heat generated would have 1) immediately cauterized his wound, and 2) probably blinded him. It wouldn't be a very practical weapon if it was burning wounds closed.

In any event, as has been pointed out several times, the Final Fantasy VIII Ultimania Guide states that the function is to produce a vibration to the slash motion that will rend a wound greater than it would normally.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

Having that giant hunk of metal vibrate as he tried to attack someone (usually with only one hand) is not only impractical, but not very bright.

And, yes, they call it a sword, because it has a sword on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypticLeon
    Having that giant hunk of metal vibrate as he tried to attack someone (usually with only one hand) is not only impractical, but not very bright.
    Well, it wouldn't be first time Nomura had a less than stellar idea, but for the purposes of the game, it worked out fine. And they do make something of a point about how the Gunblade is a difficult weapon to master and can take many years, so it's not like just any schmoe picks one up and goes to town with it.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

i have deep respect for Squall of SeeD and Big D so i dont mean to offend either one. to me the gunblade is just a weapon that was created just for the look. i dont think they put too much thought into it because after all it is just a game. think of lulu's weapons. they are all dolls that somehow can kill fiends that are 5 times taller than it when powered up. both are just factors to make the game more interesting and enjoyable. as far as i've seen all the main characters somehow have a sword like weapon as their main or ultimate weapon. they all just have different apearances (excuse me if anything is misspelled).

my thanks to Blitz Ace for the sig

"We may never meet again, but we'll never forget each other." Leon (Kingdom Hearts)

Default Could everyone at least agree on these...

Its obvious that we might never exactly agree on how the gunblade works, however I think we could at least accept these points

1) The gunblade is known as a gunblade for its gun mechanism, that means the ammunition clip/drum, the hammer and the firing chamber. along with the fact that some form of combustion takes place, but it fires NO projectiles (with the exception of prehaps a limit break).

2) The blade recieves some sort of force from the combustion (vibration, energy or otherwise) which increases the force and damage of the slash.

I also think we should keep in mind that magic does exist in this world, so perhaps that could offer some solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Asaelion
    Its obvious that we might never exactly agree on how the gunblade works, however I think we could at least accept these points

1) The gunblade is known as a gunblade for its gun mechanism, that means the ammunition clip/drum, the hammer and the firing chamber. along with the fact that some form of combustion takes place, but it fires NO projectiles (with the exception of prehaps a limit break).

2) The blade recieves some sort of force from the combustion (vibration, energy or otherwise) which increases the force and damage of the slash.
    We are in agreement, then, Asa.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

I agree that there is no barrel within the gunblade: this might make for a weakpoint in the blade (though prolly not), and it might very well warp or explode from the heat and force of an explosive bullet flying through.

Also, I find my single most rejoiced post was from Asaelion: the gunlades, all o' 'em, are double-edged. Also, the thoery of "encapsuled energy" is intriguing, perhaps a form of para-magic.

Now, for my thoery: if we'd kindly take a look at the side of Revolver (purty pikture), we'd see that the part of the blade that extends from the corrugated pointy thing (I don't know what it is) can be slanted on both sides, like a wedge pointing toward the center of the bullet-chamber thing. Now, if the Revolver were designed so that the bullet on the top of the holder's revolution were to be automatically pushed forward so as to fall into that cylinder directly behind the corrugated part. Since I can't see the hammer in that shot, I don't know if it would be able to do so, but if the hammer were to hit in the middle of the gun-part, the bullet could be propelled forward and split into two, causing close-range penetration of the tissues surrounding the gash made by the blade.

The above might also account for making the blade hotter, though the fact of auto-caughterization eliminates it as a major aspect. This theory would also support energy/magic bullets.

Mind you, this is just a casual theory to be played with...

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

A gunblade should work like what Yazoo's weapon do, so it is less confusing.

hmmm...It slices and it shoots! XD As soon as I get into the military, I have to bug one of the weapon makers to make me one, just because I want it. Also, it's good to scare and confused people with the design of the weapon!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

I know this probably old but my theory always was the bullets whatever type they were were fired from one side the exit hole is possible at the part where the blade and handle join.

Aside the blade on one of SOS's pictures I can see a strange shape which could possibly be where the bullets come out.

I'll edit this post with pictures if I have too but so far i'm only saying what I thought.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

i'm not exactly sure why there's a debate about this haha. i just think the idea's cool for what they give us.
    I just like to think of it as literally a GunBlade.

There's a gun, maybe even with just a short barrel. attached to it, is a nice big blade.
    i like to think of it as the type of gun that does shoot actual bullets. just because it'd be pretty badass. just imagine... you see a guy reloading what looks like a sword lol.

slash bang!

Thank you Hysterian!