Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How do you think the gunblade functions anyway?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Odelay
    and another thing - http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/1416/squall35oh.jpg
    squall has a sight fixed to his gunblade. if he's not firing real bullets, then whats the point of having a sight?
    I don't see a sight there... there's the top of the hammer, but that's all that stands out to me.[q=Odelay]
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade
    Also, we never see it shoot bullets.
    did you ever see it vibrate, or whatever you're suggesting? i'll stick to my idea of real projectile bullets[/q]That's what I've always believed, too; I agree about there being plenty of room in the top edge of the blade to house a barrel as well. However, if the Ultimania guide says it doesn't shoot projectiles, then that's the canon truth of the matter. Absurd as it might sound

Quote Originally Posted by Big D
    I don't see a sight there... there's the top of the hammer, but that's all that stands out to me.
    I see a sight, There is the silver hammer on the back, and a black sight on the top, for the black sight to be actualy part of the hammer, it would make the hammer so ridiculously elongated there might as well be a sticker that says "fake" on the handle.

If the Ultimania guide says it doesn't shoot projectiles, then that's the canon truth of the matter. Absurd as it might sound
    I don't know anything about this guide, and I wish I did so I could say something about it.

Explosive Rounds, The Vibrating Blade, or "Singing Sword"
    I can see how the "singing sword" aspect might work. One would, just before/as the blade reaches the target, pull the trigger, causing an explosion that would force the blade to push and pull the flesh, organs, and scales of a creature as the blade quickly seperates useless body parts. Drawbacks however would be plentifull, long time use could do serious damage to the weilders body. People who have worked with hammers all their lives can tell you the recoil has taken its toll on thier hands. If a simple hammer can cause pain and loss of motion, An explosion causing a blade to fluxuate by inches per attack would make your arms screaming in pain after every long battle. But hey, don't let the fuzzy boa fool you, Squall can take it, he's a tough guy!

"The GUNblade"
    Who was it that said gunblades were used (very rarely) by those who could afford them soon after the "gun" was invented? Poorly made and not yet perfected they could only fire one shot and would be useless in the heat of battle after the initial shot. Trying to make the most of it, they combined the age old weapon, the sword, with the newest weapon, the gun. The well fitted warrior could peck off an enemie from a short distance, then instead of carefully reworking his firearm he could charge into battle sword a' swinging. Thats what I can remember anyway, this is like the 10th repeat of this thread.
    Ok, stepping away from what someone said back in another thread....In this thread it was proposed that A)Bullets fire from the side of the blade, strait from the side of the chamber chamber. B)A Wizard did it. C)A small cylindrical pathway running from the gun aspect of the sword as far as possible to the tip without bending

A: Okie dokie then, a partial solution thought up when other debaters quickly ridiculed the thought of a barrel inside the blade. I don't have much to say about this, because I honestly doubt it even resembles a solution. The entire mechanism of the gun would have to be different. The hammer, the barrel and the placement of the wields hands would all have to be rethunk

B: The closest thing to the truth we have, and the most beleivable theory.

C:Sounds good, it would work the same was as most firearms, but with a realy sharp and heavy barrel. Any proof against this has been little more than speculation vs speculation. Or I should say, it logicly should be this choise, but this is a fantasy game afterall.

Thats it, its almost 7am, and *yaaaaaaawn* I have a 10am relic raid on my online game...and I havn't slept a wink....if, doubtfully, some people were wondering where I have been...its been playing DAoC....*yaaaaaaawn* I mgiht as well try and get a couple winks in.....you will understand if what I have been saying makes no sense or isn't something that blows you off your feed or even stands up to anything or makes sense or all that trivial stuf *yaaaaaaaaaawn* .....g'nite
    Last edited by TasteyPies; 09-03-2005 at 12:55 PM.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

Ok so the gunblade shoots but doesn't shoot solid bullets but thats about as far as I seem to understand...

gah all this intelligence stuff is making me want to play FF8 even more.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

now... does irvine shoot bullets? for all i know, he has an actual gun that shoots bullets. EXAMPLE: you can give him pulse ammo for his gun or for his limit break. i'm not sure if pulse ammo consists of real bullets, and if it is, then that would mean squalls lionheart shoots bullets... you need pulse ammo to refine his lionheart weapon, ya? the pulse ammo was just one example... and i could be wrong about all of this, but i couldn't understand why you would need ammo for refining gunblades if the ammo is not even used (assuming the ammo consists of real bullets)

Thank you Hysterian!

I don't see a sight there... there's the top of the hammer, but that's all that stands out to me.
    it might be a little bit easier to see here - http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8657/gunblade36el.jpg
    There is quite clearly no barrel in the blade.
    how can you NOT see it? - http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6...nblade44el.jpg

that's why i think the blade curves down at the end, because there's a barrel above it - http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3798/gunblade26db.jpg

i don't know anything about this ultimania guide so i can only go by what i see on the gunblade

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

The blade most likely curves to add some kind of effect for slashing, thats what I think.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Quote Originally Posted by Odelay
    it might be a little bit easier to see here - http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8657/gunblade36el.jpg
    There is quite clearly no barrel in the blade.
    how can you NOT see it? - http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6...nblade44el.jpg

that's why i think the blade curves down at the end, because there's a barrel above it - http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3798/gunblade26db.jpg

i don't know anything about this ultimania guide so i can only go by what i see on the gunblade
    Unfortunately, the point you indicate does not line up with the revolver's cylinder at any point, making it impossible for a bullet to be fired through it.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bahamut
    According to the FF8 Ultimania, the gunblade doesn't fire bullets at all. Pulling the trigger releases energy which causes the blade to vibrate, which is supposed to cause extra damage.

Well, that's what I've been told anyway.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Unfortunately, the point you indicate does not line up with the revolver's cylinder at any point, making it impossible for a bullet to be fired through it.
    It lines up perfectly with the top chamber in the cylinder...

Actually, it doesn't. It mark is on the upper edge of the gunblade, which you can see going directly back and passing over the cylinder's top chamber.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

No, it doesn't. That mark is on the side of the blade at the end, not the very front of the blade. In order for that to be a hole (and a screwed up hole design it would be in the first place), the blade couldn't be straight.
    I love my Carys with all my heart.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Where the clouds part and the truth is revealed: Final Fantasy VII Analysis.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Squall of SeeD
    No, it doesn't. That mark is on the side of the blade at the end, not the very front of the blade. In order for that to be a hole (and a screwed up hole design it would be in the first place), the blade couldn't be straight.
    Yeah, I didn't point that out, but it would have to fire triangular bullets if that was the hole.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am fully not understanding this 'side of the blade' notion. The top edge of the blade is tapered, yes. However, both sides taper in, not just one side.

A wizard did it. Obviously Square wasnt expecting such debating over something so simple in their eyes. its final FANTASY for a reason.

I am fully not understanding this 'side of the blade' notion. The top edge of the blade is tapered, yes. However, both sides taper in, not just one side.
    The front of the blade itself is that flat part to the right of the mark (whatever it is). That's where a hole would need to be if there were a barrel.
    I love my Carys with all my heart.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Where the clouds part and the truth is revealed: Final Fantasy VII Analysis.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke