Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How do you think the gunblade functions anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade
    Unfortunately, the point you indicate does not line up with the revolver's cylinder at any point, making it impossible for a bullet to be fired through it.
    of course it does. here's another picture - http://img273.imageshack.us/img273/1...nblade37xd.jpg

you can see where the barrel lines up with the top chamber in the cylinder. and you wouldn't have to fire triangular bullets just because the barrel opens up that way. so long as the barrel inside the sword is round, and it looks like it is, it doesn't matter how the metal outside of it is shaped. it seems like they made the opening of the barrel like that to match the design of the sword.

Taller than most monkeys Lehteb's Avatar

I can see the barrel line up with the top of the blade, but sadly, if you were to make a straight line from the top chamber of the revolver to the "barrel" of the gun, you would see that it doesnt line up with the point that you claim to be the end of the barrel, and actually would shoot back into the tip of the sword where it comes to a point. I prefer the energy idea, as I can't imagine a gun barrel being curved, and the side barrels and other ideas like them have been disproved by pictures. Also, consider the flexibility of steel used to make swords and bladed weapons, then remember what would happen to the perfectly round barrel of a gun that is constantly being used as a sword. Although to be honest, the scars that are traded at the beginning of the game if given by real blades, would have a Squall without a maxilla (his upper jaw), and Seifer would have a broken orbital bone (above his eye) because the weapons would be so heavy that they would shatter, not cut, bone. Oh well, its Magic I guess
    Forever inserting random chocobos

doesn't matter how the gunblade works. it only matters that it causes immense pain. ouchies. >.<

Thank you Hysterian!

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/9...ade26db7kl.jpg

looks like it would work, pretty much just like a rifle with a bayonet underneath it.

yeah, you're right. this is all complete fantasy nonsense. but if you want to get that technical about it, you'd also have to think about how its going to use energy, or how strong a vibration you'd have to use to get a massive chunk of metal like that to vibrate, and how impossible it would be to swing around like that. that would be pretty wicked to see squall get his jaw sliced off and seifer get his face crushed though. damn...they should remake the game like that.

*opening scene*
    Squall's jaw explodes from gunblade impact.
    "AHHHHHHHHHH!"
    Squall swings blade and shatters Siefers whole face.
    "AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!"
    Both fall over dead.

*THE END!*

it wouldn't even be a game. it'd be a random mini clip with people saying "wtf was that?..... IT WAS AWESOME!"

Thank you Hysterian!

This debate actually has a simple answer: Squall's gunblade, in fact, has a gun aspect to it and thusly fires bullets.

Look at the close-up picture Squall of SeeD posted, with the flaming lion on the blade. See the round part with the holes in it, kinda looks like a, oh I dunno, gun from a western movie? That's the barrel. In those little holes in the barrel go... guess! Projectiles! There's even a bullet extending from the barrel in the image. It's that bullet-shaped thing near the flaming lion. There's no need for an actual nozzle to fire the bullet from, because the weapon is also a short-range (take a guess) sword. Why does Seifer fire it in the opening FMV? So Square could show it off. Why is there an explosion when you tap R1 in battle? To emphasize the point that you completed the move.

Yeah, pretty much.
    Surprisingly enough, this ( ` ) is not an apostraphe, nor is it a quotation mark. This is, however ( ' ).
    Learn to use the internets.

the gun goes boom!

Thank you Hysterian!

Magic and Pixie dust.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lehteb
    Although to be honest, the scars that are traded at the beginning of the game if given by real blades, would have a Squall without a maxilla (his upper jaw), and Seifer would have a broken orbital bone (above his eye) because the weapons would be so heavy that they would shatter, not cut, bone. Oh well, its Magic I guess
    Thats's just the thing - even though they're immense and heavy swords, the two guys are extremely skilled in using them. They weren't trying to kill each other, but they did intend to draw blood, so they simply sliced each other with the tips of their blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado
    This debate actually has a simple answer: Squall's gunblade, in fact, has a gun aspect to it and thusly fires bullets.

Look at the close-up picture Squall of SeeD posted, with the flaming lion on the blade. See the round part with the holes in it, kinda looks like a, oh I dunno, gun from a western movie? That's the barrel. In those little holes in the barrel go... guess! Projectiles! There's even a bullet extending from the barrel in the image.
    Uh... Depserado, that's not a barrel. That's the cylinder pin. That's what the cylinder revolves around and what holds a revolver together. Hell, it's even like two inches too low to be a barrel, as it's nowhere near the hammer (look where the top chamber of the cylinder is sitting):

http://hem.passagen.se/patrik.karlss...ade-render.jpg

I'm really sorry I haven't gotten the translation from the Ultimania back yet, guys. DarkAngel e-mailed me yesterday saying she'd finish translating the stuff I asked for soon.
    I love my Carys with all my heart.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Where the clouds part and the truth is revealed: Final Fantasy VII Analysis.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

Taller than most monkeys Lehteb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big D
    Thats's just the thing - even though they're immense and heavy swords, the two guys are extremely skilled in using them. They weren't trying to kill each other, but they did intend to draw blood, so they simply sliced each other with the tips of their blades.
    clearly you've never done any serious swordsmanship. I can assure you that in the heat of battle, running at someone and swinging at their head cannot be done with the precision to barely break the skin. Lets not forget how awkward the hilt of the gunblade is, being so offcenter, and that Squall is essentially blinded by his own blood when he swings at Seifer. I know its a great game and all, but this scene is all about looking awesome, and the gunblades are more of a look awesome than work well type weapon
    Forever inserting random chocobos

I ve never under stood the whole gun thing on FF if you had a gun would'nt you need to buy bullets? You never see them reload either...
    Last edited by xX.Silver.Wings.Xx; 10-15-2005 at 06:23 PM.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lehteb
    clearly you've never done any serious swordsmanship. I can assure you that in the heat of battle, running at someone and swinging at their head cannot be done with the precision to barely break the skin. Lets not forget how awkward the hilt of the gunblade is, being so offcenter, and that Squall is essentially blinded by his own blood when he swings at Seifer. I know its a great game and all, but this scene is all about looking awesome, and the gunblades are more of a look awesome than work well type weapon
    I've done Renaissance fencing, as well as Medieval dagger and single sword work. I know some of what can and can't be done.
    Seifer never 'charged in the heat of battle'; he stood on the spot to line up his swing for a considerable time - several seconds, judging by the FMV. He'd have little difficulty in ensuring that just the narrow tip of his blade made contact. Squall didn't appear blinded; his blood was flowing past his eye socket so he'd have retained a clear view.

Can I see a pic of siefers "gunblade"? I don't remember seeing any sort of gun aspect....

Alright, everybody, throw out your thanks to DarkAngel. She sent me a translation of the Gunblade section of the Final Fantasy VIII Ultimania:

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel
    GUNBLADE

Combining the sword with a standard shotgun’s mechanisms, the Gunblade is a unique weapon. If you pull the trigger while the bullet is “set”, a strong wave of power will travel down to the edge of the blade, raising the attack power of the Gunblade. By pulling the trigger at the right time, one can release a powerful attack; however, achieving competency in usage of the Gunblade is very difficult and therefore requires a high degree of aptitude.
    So, it would, indeed, seem that the bullets are shells that simply explode and add a vibration to the blade. There's no projectile feature.
    I love my Carys with all my heart.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Where the clouds part and the truth is revealed: Final Fantasy VII Analysis.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke