Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you think the gunblade functions anyway?

Soylent green is people! Wiegrahf42's Avatar

Default How do you think the gunblade functions anyway?

It shoots a bullet and stabs, that much is obvious, I'm just wondering about the mechanics behind the thing. Lets take Squall's revolver. During one shot in the intro, you see it lying in it's case with some bullets next to it. The things look like a pretty high caliber. Since it's a revolver I assume it is loaded manually. Now single-action or double-action (single meaning the hammer must be cocked each time, while double action is basically semi-automatic)? The main thing that confuses me is that their doesn't actually seem to be a barrel on the thing. It wouldn't have to be long since the thing is meant to be fired at point-blank range, and accuracy wouldn't be an issue either. Just curious about your theories.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War room"

In the pictures of the gunblade that appear in the intro and such, you can see the barrel. It sticks out to the side, and is much shorter than a standard gun barrel. Not much reason to worry about accuracy, after all. It's fired from point blank range, and sends a bullet into the wound made by the sword. Pretty nifty concept, really.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

The barrel, to me, looks like it is substituted with the actual blade. That, in theory, would actually give the gun MORE power, because it has a much much longer barrel than most guns.

Squall ever shoot his gun? I thought he only do the slashing things.

Shooting the gunblade is what the whole "press R1 as you attack" thing is about, remember?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Yes, I remember that. Pressing r1 but the max hit I could get is 3 hit.

Oh so you mean slashing while shooting?

Precisely. You cut them with the sword part, and fire the gunblade mid slash. This sends a bullet into the wound made by the sword, giving you both the large area damage from the slash, and the deep wound (possibly going all the way through the enemy) from the bullet. Like I said, it's a pretty nifty idea.

According to the FF8 Ultimania, the gunblade doesn't fire bullets at all. Pulling the trigger releases energy which causes the blade to vibrate, which is supposed to cause extra damage.

Well, that's what I've been told anyway.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Which would be why squall *always* has bullets in his gunblade case.

He doesn't need them

but there's a place for them incase he decides to learn how to sharpshoot. or something.

</bs>

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bahamut
    According to the FF8 Ultimania, the gunblade doesn't fire bullets at all. Pulling the trigger releases energy which causes the blade to vibrate, which is supposed to cause extra damage.

Well, that's what I've been told anyway.
    This seems like the best bet to me.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

But it has holes for bullets.

As well as a revolving chamber for them X.x;;

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Maybe it shoots an 'energy bullet' into the blade.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

They look like real solid bullets to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yep, one solid chunk of energy.

That's just assuming Squall carries his gunblade in a sheath ... but can you imagine him lugging it around in that gigantic case ?
    That thing looks pretty heavy ... can you imagine having to carry that thing around with you all the while youwere trying to save the world from an evil military dictatorship, hundreds of vicious monsters and all-powerful, megalomaniac sorceress ????

Phew ... Being Squall Leonhart sounds like a hard job