Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Main Character

I'm a heterosexual male, and I would have no problems at all with a homosexual main character in a Final Fantasy. As long as it was handled right, it would have the potential to be very interesting. I would love to see what they would do with the story and the themes that they could inject into it. But, I doubt a large number of gamers would take this very well.

It's for this reason, that I don't think it will ever happen. Not in a million years, unless a large number of peoples attitudes and opinions take a drastic change.

I'm gay, but I'd prefer to play as a straight male main character. It just makes things more interesting that way. It'd be fun to see a party member that is gay, though, but it doesn't bother me much to not see any. Just like we hardly see any black characters or overweight female characters. *shrug* It's just how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel
    Nah, there's a difference between that. Some FFs (keep in mind, SOME) are great, GTA games suck.
    Of course, what you think of the games makes them popular, or not. Watch now as they make news stories and late night show jokes about the new Final Fantasy game, and not about Halo or GTA. Oh wait, they don't. Final Fantasy is still pretty under the radar, as it hasn't gotten any of the crap pokemon got for having witchcraft elements, ice fire thunder water, etc..
    Something like a gay character could completly mainstream Final Fantasy through all the controversy.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

I could argue that we've already had a gay main character - he just doesn't come out in the game.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocFrance
    And now I'm gonna get a bunch of people jumping on my ass about how I'm a homophobe.
    I'd actually like to shake your hand for that statement, it's 100% true.

I'm a homosexual male, and I have to say that when I'm playing a Final Fantasy game, I'd be hard pressed to care less about the sexual preferences of the characters. I'd also be hard pressed to care one way or the other about their hair color or skin dryness. I'm focused on levelling up and killing more stuff, not on who's smooching who. If Squenix ever manages to pull off a romantic angle that isn't nauseatingly terrible, then I think this discussion might have a little more merit since we'd be talking about a more mature type of love story that an adult could get behind, NOT some squealing, yaoi reading fangirl (or fanboy, you know who you guys are!).

If they were going to include a gay character, they'd have to handle it a lot better than they handled having a black character for the first time. Barret could host his own minstrel show if he wanted to. Thankfully they kinda made up for that with Kiros. Now, if the gay character were like James Gandolfini's character from The Mexican, that'd be a different story. It could be done properly, but it really is doubtful that they would.

.....Waitaminute..... Couldn't you make Claude fall in love with a guy in Star Ocean 2?

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Yang was the first black playable character, not Bullet.

You should play Suikoden. I don't think there's a straight man in the series.

...Yang does not appear to be black to me.

i don't mind homosexual sub-characters , but i think i'd stop playing FF if the next main character turns gay . hopefully -- it won't spread into the whole series or else it'll be like FF meets Will & Grace . i'm sorry, i'm a straight person . please don't turn FF into Will & Grace !

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    Yang was the first black playable character, not Bullet.

Hmmm.... He's an awfully pale black man.... And I simply MUST know what brand of relaxer he's using to get his hair that straight!

Quote Originally Posted by Yuffie514
    i don't mind homosexual sub-characters , but i think i'd stop playing FF if the next main character turns gay . hopefully -- it won't spread into the whole series or else it'll be like FF meets Will & Grace . i'm sorry, i'm a straight person . please don't turn FF into Will & Grace !
    You being a straight person has nothing to do with it. The word you are looking for is "homophobe."

That said, I agree with Doc - if they did it, it'd likely be exploited for controversy. Also worth noting is that the last two MGS games have had bisexual or gay characters.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Yang is clearly black in the game. You may as well argue that Garnet is a blonde. Black doesn't have to mean "African," either, so it's not like his hair has to be all nappy.

Quote Originally Posted by YuikiKiro
    because i'm a typical male? typical american male actually. but you think about it. to some people two females is more exceptable than two guys, why even I DON'T know.
    Saying that you're a 'typical American male' is just an excuse to attempt to mask your insecurities. Honestly, homophobes could just admit that they're homophobic, then the healing can begin.

Oh, and Yuki? Maybe you should take into consideration that I'm a gay boy before you start saying that gay boys are 'just wrong'. Remember, admittance is the first step to recovery.

I think hes just tanned.
    I dont think I can think of any games with openly gay characters in it.

Someone who is gay is a person also. If You were gay and nobody liked you and picked on u wouldnt you feel bad. I have a Friend who is a male and hes gay but I accept him as a human not a freak.
    So realy it would be interesting to have a gay main character.

Peace Out ?M?y?s?t?e?r?i?o?u?s? :Juggalo 4 life:
    Who you are is who you are.
    You can change who you are.
    Me, Im the one that sits alone,
    is alone, always alone.
    Ive been called a freak just because I dont act like everyone else.
    If I act like everyone else the world would be a bad place.The world needs more people like me but no one will listen because I dont Fit In.

Pay Back Is a B***H. Remember Ill Get All Of u.One day We Will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    Yang is clearly black in the game.
    What makes him clearly black, because I don't see it.

Anyway, a gay main character wouldn't matter to me, as long as the story's good. That's all I really care about.