Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516

Thread: Gay Main Character

I could imagine a male characcter whos close or affectionate to another male character. The character that keeps coming to mind is Chaos from Xenosaga but I dont know why. I could just picture him in that role. If I was making the game Id go out of my way to avoid the word gay or homosexual. Yeah the whole gay thing would stand out to the player so Id have a side chracter pass a small harmless comment or something but yeah the whole "coming out" ordeal would be non existant.

I could debate this issue indefinately, and my oppinion will still remain exactly the same.

Yes, it would be bold, yet it would still be idiotic to create a homosexual character, simply because many people are highly prejudice and stereotypical towards this.

I have seen various polls regarding to homosexuality, and while some people consider it ordinary and accepted, others defy it intensly, and think of it as unconventional.

Final Fantasy would lose millions of fans, that is inevitable.

It may be innovative and original, yet controversial issues would form inter-nationally, many of them protesting against Square.

Doom, and other violent games' target market, were aimed at youth, in which violence and artificial death ammuse them.

Yet, if Final Fantasy created a homosexual character, their target market would consist of homosexual, or bisexual people. Which would be suicide, considering the huge percentage more, of heterosexual people.

P.S. Lionx: It's good to see someone with oppinionated, yet maturely directed ideas. I commend you for a fair, orderly debate.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Yeah, it's always impressive to see people remain rational about their opinions.

I would like to see this:

Dude 1: Be careful... I... I'd hate to see anything happen to you, man.
    Dude 2: I know. I... I also...
    Chick 1: Oh jeez, get a room you two!

I wouldn't like to see this:

Dude 1: Be careful, I'm gay and I think you're hot.
    Dude 2: Really? I'm ALSO gay!
    Chick 1: How cool! Gayness is such a good thing! We should all wave rainbow flags to celebrate diversity!

You see, there IS such a thing as tastefully done, and there is also such a thing as overkill.

On the other hand, the running joke on the internet is that characters in Final Fantasy are gay anyway (I think this is only supposed to refer to Tidus and Zidane, POSSIBLY Squall, but that's it). "They look like they were rejected from a Final Fantasy game for being too gay, and that says something." Maybe the FF fan base is ready for it after all.

I think there was a gay person in Musashi: Samurai Legend. I think the guy's name was Leyden. I mean, he wears two hoop earrings, he calls Musashi his prince, not to mention he wears a shirt that only cover his chest. I wonder what Square Enix was thinking. *shrugs* Maybe they wanted their game to be more interesting.

VoodooChild, thanks for this awsome signature!

Dude 1: Be careful, I'm gay and I think you're hot.
    Dude 2: Really? I'm ALSO gay!
    Chick 1: How cool! Gayness is such a good thing! We should all wave rainbow flags to celebrate diversity!

LMAO! Well displayed. I completely agree. Characters could be depicted subtly as homosexual characters, yet still remain enigmatic towards their sexuality.

Creating a pure homosexual relationship in a Final Fantasy RPG game, would not seem to be a good idea. Square should rather stick to more conventional, heterosexual relationships.

ahah well put DJZen, thats pretty much what I had in mind. I dont think they should focus on the "gay " thing. As a matter of fact I would suggest creating another word for being gay as to mask it... Most fantasy books I read call it different things, but its always two men who love eachother instead.

I think square is a smart enough company to know how to manage a situation and wouldnt hold conferences just to say the character is gay, though if love interest came up they could simply say he's (made up word here). and people would be like , oooh...?

Seeign as how i dont see this game being made for like till ff15+ i dont worry much, the world has plenty of time to grow as loving people times change everyday

Cloud775 "what were they thinking?" Ill tell you, some guy came up with characters and stories... and thats how it played out.. I dont think squaresoft ever sits down to think.. how can we get attention? I think the stories are their stories so in order for anything to happen like that it has to come from the heart and mind of the game creator...

Haha! i dont mean it that way @_@ I mean it more like subtily put. Where the game sugguests that the person is homo/bisexual, but never really says so. A bisexual would be cool because it would keep you guessing. In any case i do agree that they will lose a ton of sales, but i am sure alot of innovated games usually do end up either winning big, or losing huge. I would expect however if it was subtily and tastefully done, no one will give much a bother to it.

If not now, maybe sometime later when things are fine Not saying they HAVE to have one like this, but it would be nice and different and would certainetly be something to remember.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Ciddieless since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Alice
    Dudes, i think it would totally rock if they actually had a gay main character (male or female). I think the fact that square(enix) has always been top of the line, and ahead of its time in everything else they might as well do it right?

What do you think>?
    I just had the most horrible vision. At the end of FFIX (SPOILER)Amarant and Zidane are clutching each other in their arms...
    Money, power, sex... and elephants.
    -- Capt. Simon Illyan, ImpSec

Do you mean (SPOILER)Kuja?

I personally wouldn't hold any prejudice against the game if there was a gay main character. It would be an interesting twist.

But realisticly, I don't think it will happen for a while, for reasons that have already been said a thoasand times.
    :mario::luigi:

Damnit! This is a longass thread! Not because of the number of posts but because of the shear amount people are typing. Wow!!

To all who insinuate that Cloud is gay based on minor references and misunderstandings: you're dumb. Cloud is just a complete idiot. He's obsessed with Sephiroth because he destroyed his hometown, he struggles against Rufus because he knows Shinra sucks.
    I've never gotten Cloud on a date with Yuffie, but I have dated Barret and there was no homosexual references in that scene at all. You're just jumping to conclusions.

As for having an outright gay male main character, here's how I see it in terms of the story:

My personal preference tends to lie somewhere in rivalry but a friendship would work well too. The main character's quest and ultimate objective takes FULL precedence over his love story. As this would be the first introduction of an outright gay main character for FF, the love story would have to be OBSCURE. So in other words, the main character would hint at his affections in a such subtle way that only the fanatical apt can tell what he is implying. This way, we avoid hype, cause while he's definitely leaning toward male affection, he's not flambuoyant about it.
    Things such as rare male to male hugs could definitely IMPLY homosexuality without kicking you in the face with it.

Let's look at FF8 and tweak the story a bit to make a hypothetical:
    Squall and Seifer are lovers. It isn't spoken outright and isn't even hinted at until later on in the game. In the opening movie, they fight. It's not a lover's spat, males, homosexual or not, still have a tendancy to express rivalry if only to help each other become stronger.
    Squall and Seifer are separated by the Balamb Garden, whence forth, Squall is forced to partake of battle alongside Zell and the others.
    As it is that Squall would still be a loner, he would have a hard time being around these people in the absence of his confidant, but would come around eventually.
    Seifer falls under Edea's spell whilst in the throes of separation.
    Thus, Squall would fight not only to defeat Edea, but to save Seifer (instead of Rinoa, though he'd eventually save her too as that's what a typical hero does, he saves people). Never at any point do the two have to kiss, they simply imply over the course of the game just how they feel toward each other.

Woman2womaN love = not pretty, kissing is fine
    Man2maN love = still not pretty, kissing still fine
    Gay marriage = The Big G says it's wrong, so it's wrong, you can BE homosexual all you want, but God ain't gonna condone you're marriage.

I'm tired now. Good night.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

i would not buy the game...there, that pretty much sums up MY OPINION....which no one should care for

Quote Originally Posted by BackRoomKid
    i would not buy the game...there, that pretty much sums up MY OPINION....which no one should care for

Yes o_o i shall not care about the carelessness of your careless post o_o

Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

How is that post 'careless'? It just expresses an opinion, which isn't bad thing. It might be an opinion you disagree with, but that's pretty hard to maintain since we don't know BackRoomKid's reasons for having that opinion.

Lol its a joke >_>;

But i would buy it O-o

Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3