Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne
    It's only music.
    No, it's not.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Almost no one knows Palestrina, Lassus, William Byrd, Gesualdo, Monteverdi, or Lully. I find that sadder. I'm no classical music aficionado (I spend most of my time listening to prog rock), but at least I've bothered to educate myself in the fudamentals of our origins of modern music. The "artists" you speak of are just as much a part of pop culture as the "artists" of today.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko
    Almost no one knows Palestrina, Lassus, William Byrd, Gesualdo, Monteverdi, or Lully. I find that sadder. I'm no classical music aficionado (I spend most of my time listening to prog rock), but at least I've bothered to educate myself in the fudamentals of our origins of modern music.
    I like classical music and I don't know who those people are.

[qq=Spaceman Spiff]No, it's not.[/qq]

Yes, it is. I know the name Bob Dylan, and I know he's a guy who wrote music a few decades ago (right?) but beyond that I couldn't care less. I don't know what his music was about. I don't see why anyone needs to care about it. Music is entertainment. Modern music, in particular, is a circus act. That's what it means to me anyways. I'm not going to say that people take music too seriously, because different things mean different things to different people. People can take music as seriously as they want, it doesn't matter. It's not an important issue.

The whole "MY music is better than YOUR music" thing is always amusing, at least.

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's culture. Just like knowing about Mozart, who was Mahatma Gandhi, who E.A. Poe was, where the two bombs landed in Japan, what the Bible Belt and the Corn Belt are, etc... Nothing is necessary to succeed in life; it's not "just music", it's not being an ignorant person, and having a little curiosity outside of what you're spoonfed on TV/Radio...

And then there is Death

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

*sarcastically*

Who was Jimmy Hendrix?

XD

Bob Dylan is one of my fav's. i don't care too much for his singing voice, but his early songs were pure poetry.but he was from another generation and time and that's why so many of us young ones know only little or none about him.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

What's the bible and corn belt?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I don't think today's music will hold up as well, but that's probablly me being an old fogey.

Bible Belt = southern US
    Corn Belt = perhaps RSL should field that question.

haha field

You'd be amazed out how many people at my school don't know who John Denver is. I don't care if you like him, but at least you should know who he is. Then they make fun of me for not knowing the backup drummer for [insert generic rock band].

Quote Originally Posted by Palindrome
    I have noticed that people who listen to certain genres tend to be the most clueless. Rap and R&B think anything that isn't Lil' someone is country. Country thinks that if the singer doesn't crack his voice like an elementary school boy struggling through puberty is just garbage. Pop... I would like to believe these people just didn't exist. People who listen to the other genres tend to be tolerant if not openly accepting of other musical forms. They also know to some extent the history of music. They know the big names and a few of their major hits.
    Pretty much. I go to a school where everyone solely listens to rap and R&B. I mention bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, and all I get are blank stares as a response. It's smurfing crazy. They refuse to listen to anything by anyone who isn't one of today's rap artists, and think my music tastes suck because I hate all modern mainstream rap. =/

I don't mean to look down on anyone. When they don't know about a group or artist, I take it as an opportunity to expand their cultural spectrum. It is when they boo and hiss Simon and Garfunkel I get ticked off.
    Why do hot dogs come in packs of ten but hot dog buns come in packs of eight?

Don't laugh at people's pain, laugh at their face.