Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Who is Bob Dylan?"

"Who is Bob Dylan?"

In my English class today, we were listening to some music to get our minds rolling on a creative writing project. The teacher said the first song was Hurricane by Bob Dylan. A few in the class (myself included) got really excited. But then the moment was ruined by some ignorant fool who blurted out, "Who is Bob Dylan?"

I don't know how anyone can get this far in life without even hearing the name. This isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened to me. I mention certain names as if they were common knowledge such as: Jimmy Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Ventures, Louie Armstrong, J. S. Bach Beach Boys even, and people look at me like I am speaking Greek.

I have noticed that people who listen to certain genres tend to be the most clueless. Rap and R&B think anything that isn't Lil' someone is country. Country thinks that if the singer doesn't crack his voice like an elementary school boy struggling through puberty is just garbage. Pop... I would like to believe these people just didn't exist. People who listen to the other genres tend to be tolerant if not openly accepting of other musical forms. They also know to some extent the history of music. They know the big names and a few of their major hits.

Tell me, what is wrong with society when people think that the Eagles is a brand name for clothes?
    Why do hot dogs come in packs of ten but hot dog buns come in packs of eight?

Don't laugh at people's pain, laugh at their face.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

He's just a helpless, ignorant yute. You should educate him in the ways of classic rock rather than turning your nose up at him. One of the reasons so many people are ignorant to the classics is because many of the people who like the classics are elitists.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

plenty of people don't even know who the President is, so you can cut him some slack.

Another problem is that so much of the great music has been lost as it's not been passed down to the younger generations of the world. Listening to the radio, it seems like stations that actually play classic rock or blues or jazz are becoming less and less and being replaced with more current music. It's up to all the people who do love these genres to pass it down to those who have not heard of it, and in turn, we must also be willing to hear some of the music of today.

Elvis, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and the like were all completely misunderstood at first before being embraced. If we can pass on this music as well as find the gems of this generation, I think the world will be all the better.

Some artists have remained very relevant such as Eric Clapton, but many have fallen through the cracks of current music and it's really quite a shame, but we can change this.

Take care all.

Eric Clapton...isn't he a remix DJ?

(SPOILER)I love him really, though song names escape me, I like Leilla (if that's how you spell it >_>) and the one he wrote after his son died =X

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

It's only music.

Fair enough, but it's also history. As a society, we seem to always be caught in an endless loop, never understanding and appreciating that which comes before us, failing to see how we've developed out of the past. How could we have any pop today if not for The Beatles, and how could we have The Beatles if not for Chuck Berry, and how could we not have Chuck Berry if not for Duke Ellington, or even Mozart?

Music is one of the more universal truths, something that does on some level touch everyone. Even if you don't really like music, there are songs that touch your heart and are at least pleasant on some level to listen to or have in your life.

Also, I believe the two songs you mentioned are entitled "Layla" and "Tears In Heaven", good sir.

Take care all.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

While I can't say that someone my age (or, around my age) being unaware of one of the greatest musicians in American history would deeply upset me, it's a bit bothersome. I've noticed that many, many teenagers are only interested in the here and the now--the newest hip movie, the newest hit artist. I almost never hear anyone say that a movie was bad--even if it was the latest Hollywood garbage. It's always just a "good" movie. I used to be horrified when someone didn't know who Humphrey Bogart was. It doesn't bother me that much anymore, as I've grown to reluctantly accept it. *sigh* A friend asked me the other day who Isaac Asimov was...I have to say, I was a bit stunned. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain
    Also, I believe the two songs you mentioned are entitled "Layla" and "Tears In Heaven", good sir.
    Gotcha, my dad is the one who plays it, he has a large collection of "classics", if it's right to call them that, and while I don't intimately know the song names and whatever, I can recognise them well enough and I certainly enjoy listening to ALL of the songs, which is actually a lot more than I can say for most of the new styled one hit wonder bands and artists of the current times.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, it is a little sad that someone hasn't been exposed to someone so influential, but not everyone grew up with a lot of their parent's music in the house. I don't think it gives anyone the right to look down their noses at them, just because they haven't heard of Bob Dylan. I'm sure there are plenty of artists and bands you've never heard of that have had an great deal of influence on society.

Layla is my favorite Clapton song

Signature by rubah. I think.

Laaayyylllaaaa, you got me on my knees, Laaaayyylllaaa, I'm begging you please~

Layla is one of a few songs that sounds great both live and off the album, though they also sound so drastically different.

Take care all.

The sad problem is, Clapton himself is kind of...well...boring live.

He's good to listen to on the live albums, but to see him live...

He sits in a chair, plays guitar and sings, that's about it.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

There's also the issue of frame of reference. Obviously, back when they were in their prime, bands and artists like Bob Dylan et al were popular, and were most likely considered in the same light as today's music. In another twenty or thirty years, today's music will be considered "classic."

Just talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Point taken, but I think the gap has widened a bit. When Dylan was rising, the great jazz artists who came before him were still very well renowned and had not been forgotten. Yet, in 2005, many people are hard pressed to remember great music from even 2 years ago it seems.

Clapton live is a wonder for the ears, though as you point out Lind, he's not into much stage movement. Perhaps that's why he's been able to go on for so long, he focuses his energy solely on playing and not in performing while playing.

Take care all.