Thread: Thoughts about KH CoM's story (spoilers)

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Default Thoughts about KH CoM's story (spoilers)

I beat KH: Chain of Memories yesterday, and here's a bit from my LJ: (contains spoilers!)

I finished Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories today, and I thought it was pretty fun. The final battles and the last door with freaking Blue Card with Value 1 were hard, though. I had to use save states to save and load for a few hours until I got a Blue Card 01, that was very annoying. =/ Anyway, there were loads of emotional moments near the end. I felt really sorry for Namine. Even though what she did was wrong, she's just so lonely and tragic, and the way it ends for her... I won't spoil it, though let's just say "Always on my Mind" and "Simple and Clean" made a nice return there in an emotional ending sequence. There were at least 2 scenes during the last few hours of the game when I cried. And I thought the events in Hollow Bastion were tragic and magnificently written. Great work for Square's story writers. I don't think Disney would have made such a tragic story. Since things are getting darker and more emotional all the time (KH's ending was sad too), I really wonder if KH2 is an even sadder story or will the characters finally get something happy in the end? Come on Square, bring us KH2 and don't let us Europeans wait until late 2007 or so! I can hardly wait. I still need to play Riku's Reverse Rebirth mode through, though I think Sora's story was the main story in KH CoM.

Anyway, a few questions have come to my mind. First, does anyone know if Naminé will be in KH2? It'd just feel unfair if Square Enix leaves her character how she is in CoM and not put her anywhere else. Second, was the Castle of Oblivion some world with a heart? After the final battle, Marluxia is left inside a room, and then Sora seals that room shut with his Keyblade. Is it safe to say Marluxia has been taken care of now? Third, Jiminy Cricket said he'll make an entry in his journal that says "Thank Naminé." However, when the group was going through the Castle of Oblivion and losing their memories, Jiminy looked at his journal entries and noticed that all of them had disappeared! Doesn't this mean that when Naminé restores everyone's memory and undos everything that happened in the Castle of Oblivion, all Jiminy's old notes will return and his notes about the Castle, including "Thank Naminé", will disappear?

Fourth, am I the only one who thought KH CoM's ending was really sad? For some reason, I was able to identify with Sora and Naminé pretty well, and even though what Naminé did was wrong, I felt really sorry for her. What do you think will happen to her if she's ever used again in later KH titles? I wish there was an ending where Sora, Kairi, Naminé, Riku and everyone returned to Destiny Islands. They deserve a happy ending after two really sad endings. Fifth, what's up with many people calling Naminé the dark side of Kairi? As far as I remember, Naminé has nothing to do with Kairi. The only thing is that Naminé messed up Sora's memories so that he'd think Naminé was always the special girl in his life, and not Kairi. Sixth, is it ever told who the Unknown in the opening FMV and Traverse Town tutorial is? Axel, Marluxia, someone else?

And finally, here's a thought. Sora doesn't have to lose either all his memories about Kairi or all his memories about Naminé. After Sora and others wake up, they're still at the Castle of Oblivion, right? They remember everything except what happened in the Castle, right? Well, after that, Naminé could just walk to Sora and say, "Hello, you might not remember me. I'm Naminé, and... *explains everything that happened inside the Castle of Oblivion*" It's not like it means goodbyes if you forget someone, you could always get acquainted to that person. Besides, Sora and Naminé would get to know each other on a clear table basis, without any false memories. It takes a while before they know each other very well, but so what? Sora needed some time to get to know Donald and Goofy too.

Answers, comments, anyone?
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Naminé will make a return in KH2. She's thought to be by some to be BHK's equivalent of Kairi because she is pictured with him sometimes. I'm not sure if Castle Oblivion has a heart or not. I figured that since it's the in-between world (apparently) it probably doesn't have a heart. Remember, the keyblade can lock and unlock other doors too. Third, "Thank Naminé" doesn't have to vanish, but it might. As the memories return during the deep sleep, it isn't clear whether or not there will be any physical changes. Naminé does tell Sora that she will watch him as he sleeps. I think she says that she plans on telling him what happened when he wakes up. People call Naminé the dark side of Kairi because they think that she his like BHK's Kairi I guess. It doesn't directly say who the Hooded Unknown is, but some people (included myself) think that it's Marluxia because he is shown removing his hood at one point in CoM.
    Sigless

This contains some spoilers for Reverse/Rebirth, but I think I covered them all with the "Spoiler" thing.

I can't say it's a fact, but I'm pretty sure that Naminé will return. Because Sora will remember and try to find her.
    I have no proof, but it seems rather odd for them to introduce her and then just dispose of her.

Because Sora was able to seal it, I assume Castle Oblivion had SOMETHING, not necessarily a heart, to lock off.
    I don't know if Marluxia is gone for good.
    Jiminy's Journal (and the "D Report") claims that all the Unknowns shown in the game, except Axel (and the Unknown that has remained "unknown"), have met their doom. I kind of hope they aren't dead and can make an appearance in KH II, but that's just me.

I think that Jiminy's Journal will be erased and the old information would be put back. I agree with your thought that the message to remember to "Thank Naminé" will be erased because of that. I think that if this was true, Naminé would know that it would happen, but wouldn't want Sora and the others to know that, because Sora might decide to not go back to the way he was originally.

Dark side of Kairi? No, but I might subscribe to the theory that she is some other version of her. If you pay attention to their sprites at the end of the credits, they do rather resemble each other.

End of Reverse/Rebirth Spoiler
    (SPOILER)If you haven't heard of the "BHK" you see him at the end of Reverse/Rebirth, after the credits, I think. Some people think he is the "In-between" or "twilight" version of Sora, so maybe Naminé could be such an alternate version of Kairi? I don't like to speculate on this though; I just thought I'd mention it as a theory.

I don't THINK it says who that particular unknown is.
    It might be (SPOILER)DiZ (I don't know if you've played and beaten Reverse/Rebirth! >.<)
    I don't think it would be him though, seeing as they showed him in his normal garb in the game.
    It might reveal who it was by hints, but I don't think so.

About Sora waking up...I can only speculate, but when he wakes up, I don't think he would wake up in Castle Oblivion. I think Naminé or someone will have transported him and Donald and Goofy back to the green field/crossroads area from the beginning before you reach the castle. Then it would be as though he hadn't been awakened by the Unknown, the different paths wouldn't have disappeared leaving only the one that led to Castle Oblivion, and then Sora and Donald and Goofy would awaken, none the wiser to the adventure they had just been on, and would choose one of the original paths that had disappeared in the beginning. Sora and the others are not supposed to remember Castle Oblivion, and I think waking up inside Castle Oblivion would pose a problem to that fact.

Whoo. That was a lot.

There must be characters from KH:Chain of Memories in KH II.There is Axel and Namine as well.There was trailer proving this.I'm gonna put it here when I'll find it in the net.Namine is shown as the girl standing on the shore.Axel is shown with his wheels-razors(or whatever the name of the weapon he has).

For hard-believers - http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/king...ns.html?page=8
    and
    http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/king...ns.html?page=2
    Last edited by Jack - Blademaster; 03-03-2005 at 01:46 PM.
    "If the history is to change, let it change.If the world is to be destroyed, so be it.But if my fate is to die, I must simply laugh. "

this here http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/king...s.html?page=10 is actually kairi in new clothes, at least i wud think so.

(But she actually looks like namine a little)

But Namine was blond.
    "If the history is to change, let it change.If the world is to be destroyed, so be it.But if my fate is to die, I must simply laugh. "