Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Serge after all?

Default Who is Serge after all?

I thought that Serge was Magus/Janus when I first beat Chrono Cross.It was because of two things:

First - The letter of Lucca to Kid.There Lucca guesses that Janus will find her to protect her(or already found).
    Second - In the end of the game(True Ending) there will be the photograph of Schala sitting in the chair.Behind her there is a boy(Janus,I suppose) who looks just like Serge but in Lynx's clothes(is this military clothes?).Though I can't say it is Serge, because you can't see the upper part of boy's face.But isn't there amazing similarity?

But when I played Radical Dreamers, which was the ancestor of Chrono Cross, on SNES, I thought I might be wrong.So what do you think about it?
    "If the history is to change, let it change.If the world is to be destroyed, so be it.But if my fate is to die, I must simply laugh. "

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Serge is Serge. Simple.

If anyone were to be thought of as Magus, it'd be Guile. He fits the profile far better. Not that I think Guile is Magus. Far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    Serge is Serge. Simple.

If anyone were to be thought of as Magus, it'd be Guile. He fits the profile far better. Not that I think Guile is Magus. Far from it.
    i agree
    serge is serge...
    and if anyone could come close to magus it would be guile...
    but personally I dont think magus was in the game...
    cause according to Lucca's letter "Janus will find her to protect her"
    but guile is an optional character...so that doesnt mkae any sense
    Don't be afraid of shadows, it only means there is light shining somewhere behind...

Serge can't be Magus; even in a series where time and space get totally mangled, consider when and where Serge was born. He is the Arbiter of Time; his significance can be traced as far back as that incident with the Frozen Flame.

I finally got myself throgh Radical Dreamers and agree that Serge is just Serge.But why do they need to talk about Janus in the whole process if he is not in the game?
    "If the history is to change, let it change.If the world is to be destroyed, so be it.But if my fate is to die, I must simply laugh. "

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Because they're emphasizing the connection between Schala and Kidd.

Articles

And there's many who strongly believe that Magus = Guile. I personally don't see it, but gamers and their theories, let me tell ya

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Well the evidence that Guile is Magus is the fact of Guile's hair color, the way he 'floats' instead of walking, and his black element, all like Magus. But I think I read an interview with one of the creators saying that it wasnt a connection. Cant remember, though.

Articles

I hadn't made the connection with the hair - I haven't played Chrono Cross in a while, and I don't really remember Guile's hair really sticking out at me in his character model. I did notice how he floats, but personality-wise, he just doesn't feel like Janus at all (he's more of a Setzer from what I remember).

More importantly, the part he plays in the CC story is minimal (but then again, with 40+ charactrers, the game's strong point definitely isn't character development).

Magus is one of my favorite characters in video game history, but I don't like him in the way that those who flew through Chrono Trigger once and wrote him off as a stereotypical "dark" character like him. Guile just doesn't seem to fit the part .

I find Lucca's letter, and specifically the part about Janus, to be very perplexing. I hope it doesn't eternally remain a loose end.

It's kinda blasting my head, that they didn't make him in CC.Cos I don't believe Guile is Janus.There certainly was no Janus in CC!They could put him in, like Cloud in FFT,for instance.Some kind of Temporal Vortex.After all, they made Ozzy, Slash and the Flea!

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SePhO_zO
    I find Lucca's letter, and specifically the part about Janus, to be very perplexing. I hope it doesn't eternally remain a loose end.
    How is it perplexing or a loose end. She said "He may be standing there" or something like that. Magus was searching for her so he might have been standing there because he might have finally found her. Its not a loose end at all.

You people need to get a magus blow up doll so you can feed your sick sexual desires to have more magus.

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm
    How is it perplexing or a loose end. She said "He may be standing there" or something like that. Magus was searching for her so he might have been standing there because he might have finally found her. Its not a loose end at all.

That is the problem.He WAS NOT standing there(unless Serge is Magus).

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

If he were standing there, it would have meant he'd found a way to find her. Since he wasn't, we can conclude that he didn't. No loose ends there.

Actually, originally Guile was suppose to be Magus, they wanted to name him Alf(as in Alfador so it won't spoil everything) only that with the remake of Radical Dreamers and all the changes they put into, square just dropped the idea and named him Guile with no longer any connections with Magus or Janus.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Guile's name is Alf in the Japanese version. I think they called him Guile in the American version because Magus's alias in Radical Dreamers was Magil, and Magil -> Gil -> Guile.