Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1984

Default 1984

Any one read the book 1984 by Orwell? I just finished it and man it was a read.
    Baseball lies: Man with four balls cannot walk....
    Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You? You are Laguna! Although you're way too shy with the
    opposite sex, you've got a heart of pure gold. You're a good
    leader and well liked by those who know you. Most of your
    friends look to your good sense when they need advice.

Take the Final Fantasy 8 Test here!

I read that!! It's one of the few books I've ever read that truly managed to blow my mind....I will never look at society the same way again. Quite disturbing. I especially like the ending....the whole brainwashing thing....amazing how O'Brien totally switched around his way of thinking. Makes me wonder if I would be any stronger under those circumstances. I'd like to think I would die before becoming a drone, but would I really? *shiver*

Very creepy things to think about in that book....
    THE MEW HATH NO NEED OF A SIG >:3

I agree, when Obrian was first re-introduced as a one of the thought police it took me a couple days just to get over the initial shock... I suppose it should have been kinda obvious but still...
    What about the end? I'm under the impression that he lived but the mention of the white hallway and the bullet... well its leave alot to the mind, just like the rest of the book.
    Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You? You are Laguna! Although you're way too shy with the

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

If you liked this book, i definitely recommend Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. An amazing book, that was written before this, and mirrors the themes a lot.

As far as 1984 is concerned, it is one of my favorites books. The ending is by far the best, but I won't give anything away.

Oh yeah, I suppose there will probably be some viewing that haven't read through....**hits himself**
    I actually picked up 1984 after listening to and Our Lady Peace album and I was amazed with it. I've heard it insulted by many people who either didn't understand it, or were just unbelievably biased.

I bet its VERY offensive to politicians

But yeah, I think to get 1984, you have to be a deep thinker....if you're just a bubblegum-popping, flow-going, shallow person, all you'll see is some kind of threat and a bunch of vulgar insults to society. Its a book that should be read, then digested, mulled over, picked apart, compared with reality, then reread to catch all the little nuances you missed the first time through. Its truly ingenious, the way Orwell put it together.

But sure, I think if you take someone who believes deeply in the "system", they'll probably take offense. It also takes a certain amount of internal rebellion against society to truly accept the book. I forget his name, but there is one character who (SPOILER)believes whole-heartedly in Big Brother, who is eventually taken in by the thought police because his son hears him talking badly about the government in his sleep.

Basically, I think this character represents the kind of close-minded people who are unable to comprehend 1984.
    Last edited by FallenAngel411; 03-08-2005 at 10:38 PM.
    THE MEW HATH NO NEED OF A SIG >:3

If you liked this book, i definitely recommend Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. An amazing book, that was written before this, and mirrors the themes a lot.
    Ive yet to read 1984, but I can back Marik up on this. "A Brave New World" is an incredible book.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngel411
    But sure, I think if you take someone who believes deeply in the "system", they'll probably take offense. It also takes a certain amount of internal rebellion against society to truly accept the book. I forget his name, but there is one character who (SPOILER)believes whole-heartedly in Big Brother, who is eventually taken in by the thought police because his son hears him talking badly about the government in his sleep.

Basically, I think this character represents the kind of close-minded people who are unable to comprehend 1984.
    Yea, gotta agree. Btw, his name was(SPOILER)Parson ( The fat sweaty guy )
    "Feed me."

Blademaster of Northland DeBlayde's Avatar

anybody read Plato's "Republic?" Methinks Orwell took many of the themes for 1984 from that work.

I would disagree with the general flow of the book on one point. It's much easier to control a population or an individual if one gives them the illusion of a choice, i.e. providing them choices between what one wants them to choose and another choice which is presented in a distasteful fashion or by some other means socialize the people to consider it fundamentally less-good than the other more preferred choice.

I was only 13 when I read the thing. I was confused by the whole NewSpeak system.

Makoto, Honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by DeBlayde
    anybody read Plato's "Republic?" Methinks Orwell took many of the themes for 1984 from that work.
    Never heard from that book. Is it any good? If it is, then I will go read it
    "Feed me."

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Check out animal farm too, of course

I've read 1984 a couple of times, and I liked it both times. It didn't turn out how I thought it would (thanks to archie comicsX.x) but that wasn't really an issue.

What makes it *really* good though, was this long spiel a guy did comparing George Bush's actions to Big Brother. . . although I mostly like it for the song at the end.

Yes! Animal Farm was a good work too, not quite as deep on the surface, but I liked its relation to the Russian Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Marick
    Agreed. I think BNW is not only better than 1984, but it's my 2nd favorite book behind Animal Farm.

1984 is a very deep, profound book. Nothing much more to say about this.

...Exceot I'm reading this again over the summer.

I suppose with all these comments on Brave New World I'm going to have to find a copy, just as soon as I'm done my current book....and the one after that...