Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: your fav ff1 class/team

Gotta love the Fighter. My favourite party to use is FI/BB/BM/WM

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Knight, Ninja, White Wizard, Black Wizard

Class: Red Mage

Team (Party): Red Mage Party (I'm doing a journal about it)

Dono Arigato Macwere San for the sweat signature and avatar

Four fighters, all the way. Expensive as hell, but more than worth it. In the original, I had Chaos RUNNING AWAY. Yes, he can do that. And after you upgrade, they get rudimentary white magic, which means they no longer need all those potions and visits to the inn.
    Whore since '04. Selling my skills as an artist and writer.

http://www.freewebs.com/acalhoun/

Favorite class in FFI? Has to be the Knight. As to my preferred team, it differs between the versions. With the original game, I prefer Fighter/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage. With Soul of Chaos included, I replace the Thief with a Red Mage (obviously with weapons in mind).

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Has anybody ever tried the 8BT party (Fi/RM/Th/BM)? It's tough, since you don't have a good white mage and thus access to spells like HARM and FADE, but it's doable.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DocFrance
    Has anybody ever tried the 8BT party (Fi/RM/Th/BM)? It's tough, since you don't have a good white mage and thus access to spells like HARM and FADE, but it's doable.
    There's more difficult parties than that for a person whose looking for a challenge.
    Personally, I've never done it because I never would have been inclined to do it.
    I do 4 player parties for fun. And, in that one, the lack of white magic should be made up for very easily by the RM (Knight Later), and the Thief's running and Ninja Fighting skills.
    It's far more fun, and probably even more difficult, if you add in a White Mage instead of a Thief. That far more common party will eventually see the WM as redundant, where a better attacker like a Ninja would be more desired. The lack of physical attack and good defense will make things rough there. (Because the RM becomes a weak pint by not hitting hard enough and cancelling out the basic usefulness of the mages. It's fun, but something always seems wanting.)

More difficult, if we're not looking at specific challenge parties (Like All WMs or all Thieves) will always bee to simply add more Thieves and Black Belts.
    Like, BB/T/T/BM
    That team won't have any healing, and all of it's characters will be liable to take heavy damage. The single black mage will be forced to be the main damage giver since the BB will die a lot, and the Thieves will suck in the beginning.
    Also, 2 thieves can only run as fast as one (Outside of the turn chances), and so they're mostly redundant. Their weak attack in the beginning, paired with the BBs general weak attack in the beginning (Compared to a Fighter or the Black Mage.) makes this party Hella-Hard before it reaches class change, and it certainly isn't a superior crew afterward.

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

There's more difficult parties than that for a person whose looking for a challenge.
    Yeah. 4 black mages (especially early in the game.) I love B/M, but without backup, you will end up buying a lot of potions and Phoenix-downs. And Ethers, cause their attack sucks. 4 W/Ms isn't hard at all, just time consuming as Hell.

Blog Entries

4 BM is one of the best parties there is.

Early in the game, they're awesome.
    Late in the game, they rule.

The only time that 4 BMs is hard is when you fight Kary, assuming you play the game in order.

Other than that, they only die when you have bad luck. Kill first or die, and, when your limited to only black magic, it's hard to kill second.

Nah, 4 WMs and 4 thieves (Esp w/o class change, since 4 ninjas is easy) are the most difficult.
    Then, maybe, 4 BBs. Cause they have the defense of a mage and can't attack multiple enemies (What good is being able to take out any boss in one round when you are up against 9 wizards?!?).

4 Fighters or RMs are hardly difficult, I guess.

But all I meant to say is that 4 BMs is a whole lot more fun than it is hard.

Hmm, of all the parties I played with... the easiest was a lone fighter, and hardest was a lone white mage.

Yes, you can play with only one character, just kill the others off an never revive them. There is one advantage... 4x EXP

However, you should clarify which version of the game. Black mage parties are far more difficult in the original version of the game, magic is far more limited...

Let's see, all the lone parties. (original version)
    Fighter: will rock the entire game, 4x EXP means he hits harder sooner, potions will be a must early on, but as you progress you'll have so much health it won't make a difference. Also later on, the magic casting items will be very useful. If you do the class change, white magic that the knight get's will be quite useful...

Thief: Quite hard actually. He has some decent equipment, but I found myself running until I got good equipment, then going back and fighting weaker enemies for the 4x EXP to survive, then repeating this pattern throughout the game. If you do class change, the black magic will help, but the most useful will be FAST so he can hit harder.

Black Belt: Extremely difficult at first, but just take time to level up and he'll start hitting hard. The 4x EXP is extremely advantageous because it won't take long before his fists are lethal. Class change doesn't do much for you, but either way, potions are a must.

Red Mage: The easiest mage by far. Good attack, and both white and black magic. Personally, early on I used the magic for Black and potions to heal, though I had white magic spells. The limited magic in the original version makes this a good idea. Towards the end he starts to lack cause he doesn't excel in anything. With no class upgrade you just have no access to some better equipment and spells, very do-able.

White Mage: Difficult as hell. Being is what makes this hard. No good armor means you get hit hard, and no good weapons means you can't hit hard back. Magic will run out numerous times due to being so limited... so potions are necessary. I saved most magic for the undead. It's possible to do, but takes forever. Spells like heal and/or life are not needed because you're alone, so it gives you a different line up of spells as you progress. No class change means no high level spells... and there is no HOLY spell in the original version, so it's not really that big of a deal actually. The hardest part of this team, is staying alive long enough to do some damage...

Black Mage: Pretty much a slightly harder version of the solo Red. He will rely completely on magic, so the limit of it will be felt. Leveling up so lots of magic is available is recommended... but leveling up a lot is suggestted for all of them, it's quite easy to do with 4x EXP. His low HP makes leveling necessary, and potions will be GODS going through long dungeons... Be sure to save the really powerful spells for when you need them, or you'll find yourself quickly without a means of dealing sufficient damage. No class up means less powerful magic, and you definitely could use that magic. After you get the Cat Claw physical attacks are more useful, but still, it's rather difficult at times, depending on how long you take to level up...

SO yeah, solo parties are the way to play, they're a challenge with almost any character, except fighter... his only problem is getting paralyzed and pummelled over and over.

that's my two cents...

THE JACKEL

Blog Entries

Hardest party is solo Thief, no class change.
    (unless you want to try lone WM, no class change. Never tried that. Is is that much more difficult? I'm sure it's easier than the thief in the beginning, but possibly even harder later on. Whoa. What a challenge! Beating Chaos to death with a silver hammer?!?!?! No, wait, I'd have the Masmune. More like, beating Kary to death with a Silver hammer... With AFIRE though... Dunno, it seems fairly possible, and maybe still easier than solo Thief.)

Black Mage FF1 did it, so I followed it up. Hardest thing I ever did in a game.

And I'm only referring to the nes version. When discussing difficulty, it's somewhat futile to include Origins.

But we don't have to discuss solo parties here. Solo parties are only about leveling, pride, and, when you want to do it really hard, it's about being able to know which items to have on your character at which time.
    This thread is about parties in general. Some more difficult than others. I think.

So I'll stick to what I said before.

Or, maybe... Does anybody play with parties of 2 or 3? I've never done it. I'm only 4 or 1. It seems pointless to change to 2 or 3, but it may be fun to put down that minor limit.

Any cool ideas for 2 or 3 character parties?
    Last edited by Martyr; 03-17-2005 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyr
    Hardest party is solo Thief, no class change.
    (unless you want to try lone WM, no class change. Never tried that. Is is that much more difficult? I'm sure it's easier than the thief in the beginning, but possibly even harder later on. Whoa. What a challenge! Beating Chaos to death with a silver hammer?!?!?! No, wait, I'd have the Masmune. More like, beating Kary to death with a Silver hammer... With AFIRE though... Dunno, it seems fairly possible, and maybe still easier than solo Thief.)

Black Mage FF1 did it, so I followed it up. Hardest thing I ever did in a game.

And I'm only referring to the nes version. When discussing difficulty, it's somewhat futile to include Origins.

But we don't have to discuss solo parties here. Solo parties are only about leveling, pride, and, when you want to do it really hard, it's about being able to know which items to have on your character at which time.
    This thread is about parties in general. Some more difficult than others. I think.

So I'll stick to what I said before.

Or, maybe... Does anybody play with parties of 2 or 3? I've never done it. I'm only 4 or 1. It seems pointless to change to 2 or 3, but it may be fun to put down that minor limit.

Any cool ideas for 2 or 3 character parties?

Yep, I have beaten all of the solos(Both class changed and not) and overall the solo thief no class change is the hardest. A solo Wm is actually one of the easiest IMO. However it is BY FAR the most boring to do. The trick to Kary is to mute her, cast ruse and then either attack her to death or do what I did and make her run away with FEAR(very funny to see).

As for duos and triple parties, yeah I have done some. They are pretty fun to do. Try a Rm/Wm or Bm/Wm or a Rm/Bm. An interesting duo game I completed before was a Th/Rm with class change. That was a lot of fun.

My class is black mage and my favorite team is F/RM/WM/BM

Default Favorite class and party...

I'm surprised that nobody else's favorite class is the White Mage. Mine definitely is. Think about it for a second... Imagine how much harder the game is without one!

My favorite party is: Fighter, Thief, Black Mage, White Mage (arranged in that order).

I know Black Mage has lower HP, but I still like to put my White Mage in the back, because if you lose him, you're pretty much screwed. At least he can revive the Black Mage (after he has LIFE or LIF2 of course).

The thief pretty much sucks until he becomes a Ninja, but then his attack power and agility go way up, plus I like the Katana. Also, while the old FF1 strategy guide recommended giving the Masamune to the White Wizard, I always give it to my Ninja. After all, you want to put it in the hands of someone who will actually be using it!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage FF1
    The trick to Kary is to mute her, cast ruse and then either attack her to death or do what I did and make her run away with FEAR(very funny to see).
    Right on!! I am actually working on a remake, and I happened to notice that Kary is weak against the STUN class of spells (which includes Mute and Fear). I never knew that before, but sure enough--if you use FEAR on Kary, there's a pretty good chance she'll run away!