Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: And now... the FFV challange!

Blog Entries

Yup, the first boss is the second toughest boss I've fought so far in this challange but as long as you've stocked up on potions from the first town, it's not too hard. Just don't be afraid of using all your potions. Thanks to the Monk class, stuff gets a bit easier for a while. In the begining everything is just as easy as normal. Then, after a while, the difficulty level goes up every now and then. In my current situation, most random encounters can do about 40% of my characters total HP in dammage with a normal attack. Stronger monsters, like Sand Bears, does about 50-60%.
    Last edited by Ultima Shadow; 03-11-2005 at 07:32 PM.

Wow, this seems interesting. I'll probably try it out after I beat the game the first time (I'm at the last save point in the N-Zone, mastering all the jobs).

Blog Entries

I've now got to the part where Galuf returns to his own world and my party is currently at level 15.

The Turtle boss in the meteor is pretty tough and standing in the front row is NOT a good idea since that means that this Naughty Turtle can kill a character in 1 hit. The tactic I used was having 2 Ninjas, 1 Black Mage and 1 White Mage, all standing in the back row. The Ninjas threw stuff for pretty good dammage and the Black Mage used Ice2. Using 3 Ninjas could have been more effective but I didn't want to waste all my throwable stuff and the Black Mage works very good as well. The White Mage just healed over and over again. Since the Turtle only had about 2000HP, it went down quickly.

Before going to the floating city-thing with the Earth Crystal, it's a good idea to get the Charm Song since it's pretty usefull inside the floating city-thing and also... Level5 Death is very usefull!

Inside the floating city-thing I had an intressting encounter with a boss called "Arch Avis" or something like that. Geomancers where powerfull in this battle but NOTHING beats the Blue Mage. I used Galuf as a Blue Mage. The battle was way too easy in the begining but then Arch Avis revived itself (it's just like a "second part" of the battle). All magic attacks seemed to be completely ineffective and Arch Avis also got a bit more dangerous. Since I didn't have any Monk or Ninja in my party (the only classes that can do some good phsycical dammage, Ninja with "Throw" and Monk with "Attack") I could hardly do any noticable dammage at all. However... right before I decided to restart with a Ninja or Monk in the party, I just tried Level5 Death... and it actually worked. If it wasn't because of that, I think this should have been the hardest boss fight so far. But... yea, it worked. So I beat this dude on my first try as well. SO far I've only died once, on Garula. The random encounters keep getting more dangerous though... and the bosses HP are becoming more of a problem than before. :goomba:

Blog Entries

Just got to Galufs world.
    Now, the Bomb dudes in the first meteor where extremely easy and no problem at all. Titan on the other hand... was probably the toughest guy I've faced so far. Even though you can kill him with a few Shurikens, his earthquake attack was as close to an "instant game over attack" you can get. It leaved 1 of my party members alive... with 3 HP left. Sure, maybe leveling up a bit would have helped but but... whatever. It took me 3 tries to take down this fat dude. The Chimera thing wasn't really a problem. 2 Aqua rakes would kill your party but you only need to survive 1 since this is a short battle... when you have 3 Ninjas in your party. Throw a few... umm... weapons or Shurikens or whatever you've got, and this boss will go down in no time.

Sounds like your progressing well, good job!

Who do you suspect will be the toughest boss in this challenge?

Blog Entries

If not including Omega and Shinryuu... then I think it will be Neo-Exdeath... however... Twin Tania and Necrophobe may be very tough as well (I really hope so).

I've currently reached the Mog Forest and my party level is 17-18.

Gilgamesh and the "Big Bridge" wasn't really a problem. Even though the monsters are cappable of doing a noticable amount of dammage in a singel move, I've never had a real problem with them. If I'm unlucky, I'll have to wait until the X-Zone until they get really intressting. The Bone Dinosaur was a pushover, whenever you use Life on it or not.

I don't know how you're doing this at lvls 15-18. My friend and I are sharing a game (on the two-player kind of thingy that they have), and we're on Biblos at lvl 21, and he kills us in two hits. That can't be just bad skill that we died, and we've never done any extraneous training. We've gone straight to the next place, save for when we leveled up one more level in order to avoid Lvl 5 Death right before the Library of the Ancients.

Blog Entries

Well, at the moment I'm at level 22... and I'm just about to enter the living forest.
    Anyway... Biblos is very simpel. He may be able to kill your party in 2 hits... but he will only get 1 hit if all your party members are Black Mages and use Fire2. That's how I could beat him at level 15 without any trouble. My party was almost dead after his first attack, yes, but he never got the time to use a second move. Fire2 > Byblos. Oh, and I run from battles every now and then since 1) I don't want it to be too easy if I'm at high levels and 2) sometimes I'm just too lazy to fight. That's probably why my levels aren't all that high.

Anyway... like I said I'm just about the enter the living forest of Mua (or whatever it was called).
    The Hiryuu montains had some tough encounters. Zombie Dragon + Bone Dragon is a good example of a very tricky encounter... especially when Life and Pheonix Downs just refuses to work on them even tough they are undead. However... having "Geomancers" in the party is a very good isea since their Terrian ability have many great moves in this area. The Hiryuu Plant-boss itself was the greatest pushover so far. I just had 3 Geomancers killing all the small flowers with powerfull attacks like Quake. They didn't get the time to attack even once. Gilgamesh and that flying monster thing was a bit tougher but still not too much trouble. Bio is extremely usefull against most baddies, including Gilgamesh. Now... the sheild-tower was pretty intressting. The red dragons are by far the toughest thing I've fought so far. The Automic ray killed off my whole party at once. The only way I could beat them where by having a 4 ninja party and throw water scrolls at them and hope that they wouldn't use Automic Ray. Most of the other encounters wasn't really any problem though. Atomos was by far the most "expensive" boss I've fought so far. He finished my party twice before I killed him with a 2 Black Mage and 2 Time Mage party. However... I had to use about 6 Pheonix Downs in this battle. That's very expensive in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Ok, I went trough the forest, killed the crystal boss-things with Gil Toss and then went to Ex-Deaths castle... and that place had the by far most dangerous encounters so far. Red Dragon + Blue Dragon = DANGER!!! I was killed once by those 2 dragons, but I managed to beat them the second time I faced them. I just refused to run them.

Carbunkle went down pretty fast and so did Gilgamesh... Ex-Death was a big deal of trouble since both his normal attack AND his "Wave-something" attack worked like an instant-kill attack at my weak party members. His magics dealed about 80-90% of the characters max HP in dammage and his Quake dealed about 60% to my whole party. Yes, that's very much trouble since he also attacks twice in 1 turn sometimes. He killed my twice and when I defeated him on my 3th try, I had to spend about 16 Pheonix Downs. It's finally getting intressting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow
    Ok, I went trough the forest, killed the crystal boss-things with Gil Toss
    I just tought you said NO GIL TOSS at the start..

nah, maybe i missed sumpn.
    the game is super easy with gil toss and healing
    EDIT: started the challenge and i have never been leveling up so much! Ultima Shadow, what is your current location and level? i´m lvl 18 and i should go fight kraken or whatever the boss in the canal is..
    Last edited by KuRt; 03-21-2005 at 07:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KuRt
    I just tought you said NO GIL TOSS at the start..

nah, maybe i missed sumpn.
    the game is super easy with gil toss and healing
    EDIT: started the challenge and i have never been leveling up so much! Ultima Shadow, what is your current location and level? i´m lvl 18 and i should go fight kraken or whatever the boss in the canal is..
    Yes, but that's because I thought that Gil Toss was an ability that you learn and have to equip. I had completely forgot that it was the auto-equiped and un-equipable command of the samurai class. It's really sad since Gil Toss feels a bit too powerfull. I tried out the crystals without Gil Toss at first and I defeated them with Ninjas throwing Shurikens... however... that just felt so EXTREMELY expensive that I reloaded the game to check if I could beat them in a less expensive way... and that's when I discovered that samurais permanently have Gil Toss. However... I haven't used Gil Toss since then since it didn't feel good to use it. I'll complete the rest of the game without it.

What? Level 18 before the cannal? Are you really serious? That must have taken a lot of time...

Well, I've just got to the 3th world. I haven't had the time to continue since my last update so I'm still at the same place. In the very begining of the 3th world. My party level is currently 26.

Yes, i tought that this may be hard so i started by leveling up..

Now i´m at lvl 21, just got the steamship, monk job is almost master at all chars and lenna has lvl 5 death against adamantoise and aqua rake against sandworm, SoL cannon might be a problem, so I have to keep levelling up..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KuRt
    Now i´m at lvl 21, just got the steamship, monk job is almost master at all chars and lenna has lvl 5 death against adamantoise and aqua rake against sandworm, SoL cannon might be a problem, so I have to keep levelling up..
    Seriously... I think you're overdoing the leveling. You really don't need to keep leveling. Man, I was like level 15 when I defeated the Sol canon. It's not much of a challange if you're completely over leveled.

I'm still at level 26 and I'm just about to enter the Pyramid. I killed the Gargoyles by summoning Titan a few times.

Blog Entries

Ok... Bahamut was without a doubt the toughest boss so far. He finished me off 6 times. My party level is 29... except Reina who is 27 since I didn't get to use her for a while back then. Ex-Death "voided" her and all that stuff.

After the Pyramid I went back to the forest and fought that naked girl boss. She died after a very few Fire3 and Ice3. No trouble at all. I got Reina back and decided to go and get Odin.

Odin was a VERY expensive battle. I had to use those VERY expensive "Super Shurikens" (I forgot the name but it's the Shuriken-things that are better than the normal ones). I used a 4 Ninja party, Threw 4 of those "better Shuriken-things" got hit by that slash thing that Odin does and 2 of my characters died while 2 stayed alive with a very small amount of HP left. I used another of those things and finished off Odin with it!

Then I went to get Bahamut!!!
    Got the Black Chocobo (altough it's actually purple) and went to that big desert and then to the mountains and then I climbed the mountain etc. And THEN I got to a SAVEPOINT! And THEN... I saved my game! And then I walked towards the top of the mountain... And then I... ENTERED A RANDOM BATTLE!!! And then I ran away from the battle because I was too lazy to fight. And then I encountered BAHAMUT!!! :x_x:

The first time I fought Bahamut, I was killed after about 2 or 3 turns... by Mega Flare which did about 2000 dammage to my party... and Butz as MONK only have about 1500-1600. The following 3 battles I was finished off by Mega Flare again. My "Super Shurikens where all used up and I never bothered to buy new ones... and I didn't have enough money anyway. Instead I used ODIN! My party was 3 Summoners and 1 White Mage. The White Mage only used Shell and Cure3 while the Summoners started off by summoning Golem and then only summoned Odin over and over again. Odin did about 2500dammage most of the times. I had to use an Elexir in the end of the battle to restore both HP and MP of 1 of my summoners in order to survive Bahamuts next move and then Finish him off with a final Odin attack.

So... that's where I am now. Outside the mountais where I just defeated Bahamut. Oh, yea... and Exit is an awesome spell. It saves alot of time to use it instead of walking all the way back from the top of the mountain.