Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: I am working on a FFI PC Remake...

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Didn't the guy who remade DW1 on RM2K also remake FF1? But he did use better graphics. I'm not trying to discourage you. Good luck.

And yeah, the law'll probably be a bitch. Or whatever.

Actually, square's usually pretty cool about this kind of stuff. The Chrono issue was because the makers tried to make money on it... that's a BIG no-no. I think square figures that these fan imitations draw attention to the real thing. And FF1 is a horse that's been beat enough that there's nothing left to gain... I doubt they'll mind.
    Whore since '04. Selling my skills as an artist and writer.

http://www.freewebs.com/acalhoun/

They didn't try to make money on it, it was going to be a free demo, not even a full game. Where the hell did you get your information? I followed this project for months, not once did they ever say they were going to charge. The whole project was based on the idea of having it as a free download once completed.

FF1 & 2 Dawn of Souls had a class upgrade in FF1 after talking to the Wyrm King and giving him a Rat Tail. Though it's a FF remake with better graphics and bonus dungeons so, nothing really "new" to add.

Default the law, better graphics, and other issues...

(1) I'm not using better graphics and a new design, as in the Chrono Trigger remake (which, by the way, looked badass). I am a fan of the old-school birds-eye view without long movies and cut-scenes. Unfortunately, Square seems to have done away with this. Now that they've merged with Enix, I suppose we can kiss the old-school Dragon Warrior series goodbye as well! Too bad...

(2) My game doesn't have the same appeal that many of the newer games have--mine is only cool to purists like myself. In other words, if you want fancy graphics and movies, look elsewhere. Because the graphics and movies are what sell games these days, Square need not worry about my remake costing them a dime. This community is the only advertising I plan to do for it, and if Square Enix Inc. tells me to take it down, well... I'll take it as a compliment!

That being said, I have much more work to do on the game! And...if you have something cool to offer, by all means, speak up! ;o)

Default DW1 remake...

Quote Originally Posted by Meat Puppet
    Didn't the guy who remade DW1 on RM2K also remake FF1? But he did use better graphics. I'm not trying to discourage you. Good luck.

And yeah, the law'll probably be a bitch. Or whatever.

I also remade DW1 on RPG Maker, but I know which DW1 remake you are referring to... What I am NOT familiar with is the FF1 remake you are referring to! Where is this thing? I'd like to see it! It helps to know what I'm up against here....

Default Thank you FFHackster...

Quote Originally Posted by udsuna
    And if you're going through all THIS trouble, wouldn't it be easier just to break out a ROM and an editing program.
    I would like to take this moment to thank the creator of FFHackster (Disch) and all those who helped make it. Without that program, this project would be moving a hell of a lot slower, if at all. I will, of course, formally thank the creators of that program in my credits once the remake is finished.

In other words, I'm already using a rom and editing program, and I thought about taking the sprites directly from the shops. But I wanted to do something...different. ;o)

Refusing to make better looking sprites or graphics doesn't change the fact that you're re-making a copyrighted game. Square-Enix didn't stop the Chrono Trigger project because they updated the graphics and engine, they stopped it because it's a violation of copyright.

Default Well, I guess I'll take a chance then...

I'm primarily doing this for me. If someone wants to screw the whole thing up by telling Square about it, then they will only spoil it for other people who want to see it. As for my remake, it will continue--whether or not it is released to the public.

I dont get it. If you want to play it on the computer just use an emulator.

Default Updates...

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage
    I dont get it. If you want to play it on the computer just use an emulator.
    Of course you could you an emulator! The reason I'm doing this is so that I can add in elements that were never available in the original (read my earlier posts). When the entire thing is complete, there will be a summoner class, summons, extra sidequests, a dark world, new dungeons, bosses, etc...

Here's what I've finished recently:
    *Placed all of the overworld battles, arranged by probability and region (of course).
    *Adjusted agility for monsters which often strike first (ie. shadows). This seemed to be the best way to express this using RPGM2k3.
    *Finished the experience curve! The menu screen still doesn't show the accurate # of experience points, as I maxed out the curve, and added 49 parallel processes to handle level-ups. This means that the # of experience points needed will still be the same as the original FF1. (I will probably design a separate menu screen for this game instead of using the one which came with RPG Maker--this way, you will be able to see your exact experience).
    *Adjusted the RPGM2k3 stat "Defense" for each class so that:
    Defense=VIT/2
    This is pretty accurate--I tested it with several battles, several levels, and all 12 classes!

What I'm working on now:
    *Redesigning the magic system so that LV1 spells cost 1 MP, LV2 spells cost 2 MP, and so on... The MP for each character class will be done similarly (each spell level x # of spells), and then multiplied by 3/4.
    So this formula will be:
    MP=(3/4)(1a+2b+3c+4d+5e+6f+7g+8h)
    ...where variables a-h represent # of spells for each level.
    This will keep the game challenging, and each character can still only have up to 3 spells of each level.

I expect to begin placing dialogues, and start working on the storyline before the end of the week... This will take a while.

yes RPG Maker, has many limitations, but if you're a skilled event coder with it, you can do almost anything. I was making a FF3j remake, with a full graphics upgrade, a couple years ago, but the team disbanded after awhile so it was left unfinished. We only got upto the part right after you lose Desh. But the entire floating continent was coded with battles and such, including Leviathan and Bahamut.

we also tried making our own RPG with full voice acting, but unfortunately the sound codecs and technology on RM2k only went so far.

if you need help or a partner in this project lmk, i may be able to help. I'm a skilled coder in RM2k which is about the same as 2k3, plus I'm pretty good at map making and sprite making.
    Last edited by Dragonfire; 03-17-2005 at 02:31 AM.

Yeah, I'm more of a "plot and music" guy myself. It's the writer in me, I guess. Computer graphics... oh how I suck at them...

Anyways, if your updating everything else, you should probably add a whole new set of music scores. I am NOT a fan of the original's music. Aside the crystal theme, I like that... and little else.

However, if someone out there is good at digitizing art (and coloring it... *shudder*...) I can help out considerably with the art department. But I will need someone with the digital skills, B&W isn't likely to cut it.

EDIT: I can't hack a rom worth crap, so... yeah... and the prospect of crawling through all the towns after every major event isn't pleasant.
    Last edited by udsuna; 03-17-2005 at 02:57 AM.
    Whore since '04. Selling my skills as an artist and writer.

http://www.freewebs.com/acalhoun/

Default wow! something positive ;)

Wow! I am impressed that someone finally had something to say here besides how likely I am to get sued, how stupid this is, how (pick a name)'s remake was better, etc...

In response, I have actually got most of the coding figured out (for now).. I'm just doing the tedious process of copying numbers and stats, etc... Figuring out formulas --a bunch of math stuff! ;o)

However, if you want to help out, I could really use help getting all of the dialogues from the game, who they belong to, etc... While I can do this on my own, if someone would be willing to work ahead of me and get those for me, it would save a bunch of time. I would be sure to include you in the credits. Email me at: djtrixen@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks for the offer... Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by udsuna
    Yeah, I'm more of a "plot and music" guy myself. It's the writer in me, I guess. Computer graphics... oh how I suck at them...

Anyways, if your updating everything else, you should probably add a whole new set of music scores. I am NOT a fan of the original's music. Aside the crystal theme, I like that... and little else.

However, if someone out there is good at digitizing art (and coloring it... *shudder*...) I can help out considerably with the art department. But I will need someone with the digital skills, B&W isn't likely to cut it.
    Well, I do plan to keep much of the original music (better midis of the original) for most of the game. However, in the additional section (the dark world, new dungeons, etc.) there will be all new music. Much of the music I will be adding was written by me over the years with programs such as Fruityloops 3 and Cool Edit Pro. I will make sure that any tunes I throw in are at least every bit as good as the original.

Also, if you happen to write digital music and you want one of your tracks in the game, drop me an email with your name, the track, and the name of the track, and I'll try to put it in.