Thread: Single Character Challenge Topic!

Default Single Character Challenge Topic!

So, we don't seem to have one of these in here, so I'm making it.

This is all about single character challenges in FF1.

Pretty basic rules:
    1) 3 other characters must be KOed at level 1 and never revived (bonus points for picking 3 BB's).

2) The version I'm most familiar with is the NES version, which is by far the best. Go for it on those newer ones I guess, but they changed those so much it isn't even really the same game (easier in most cases).

3) NO SAVESTATES! Too easy that way! Well, I suppose you could, but we'll snub you if you do. Oh, I guess you can savestate when you stay in a tent, to save time on the loading. No others though!

4) Class change is optional, so don't do it if you want to be truly hardcore!

5) I'm not gonna be here 10 times a day to answer silly questions, so answer each other's questions if you can.

6) Definitely running out of rules to put down.

7) Challenge is considered complete when you beat Chaos.

--------

Sooooooooooooooooo......

My 2nd time through this game was a single fighter (with class change). I'd consider it the easiest challenge, you get defense and offense in the same character, easy to level, good starting point if you want to get into this stuff but don't want it to be too hard.

Current challenge is a single thief no class change. Big difference from fighter here, it's probably the hardest challenge possible (I'd argue harder than 1 WM, since you can't heal).

Biggest obstacle so far is the Dark Elf. Rub is insta-GG, no matter how you slice it. You just have to keep trying until you get the longest streak of attacks you can fit in. Too bad with the ty equipment available at that point (for thieves), coupled with slow or whatever it is, you'll be doing 1 damage a hit. Getting his 117 HP down requires a LOT of work.

I broke off working on this challenge for a long time, so it still stands. If I have time I'll get back into it soon, so prepare for massive whining by me about how imba the Dark Elf is vs. single thieves. For the record, I'm level 30, +-5 levels (can't remember exactly where I am levelwise :P). It's also still extremely hard to take the peninsula, so it's mighty slow going.
    <----Old Fogey

Dark Knight of EOFF darksword12's Avatar

If I use savestates only before quitting, then delete them right after I load and start again, is it cheating? I find myself having to quit in the middle of a playing session far too often.

Special thanks to dark_lord for the sig!

I've done it once, with a Fighter. Those GEISTs drove me mental and although I managed to finish it, I'm never attempting it again, not even with my beloved Red Mage.