Page 1 of 21 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: I am working on a FFI PC Remake...

Default I am working on a FFI PC Remake...

Hey folks.. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm currently writing a Final Fantasy I PC Remake.. I'm using all of the original graphics from the NES for starters, and I'm sticking to the original layout of the game, so this is for PURISTS ONLY!!

While I AM using the RPG Maker 2003 to produce it, I have found many, many ways to overcome its limitations--so don't worry--this will be quite accurate!

I expect the project to take a little while, as I'm paying close attention to detail (ie. exact monster formations, exact positions and probability of each encounter, etc..)

So far, I have the following completed:
    *Character selection (at beginning of game)
    *All 128 monsters (actually 124, but fiends go twice)
    *Additional monster added: "Bikke" (other sidequests to come later)
    *All monster layouts finished (539 possible combinations)
    *World Map--believe me, this took a while!
    *Magic system (spells are purchased, organized by level, etc...)
    *Canoe works perfectly, airship works perfectly, and ship only docks at ports (or rivers w/ canoe)!
    *4 orbs light correctly
    *Menu music works
    *Scrolling opening titles (new...)

I am including a few screenshots of the project as it stands now ...

I will keep you posted as I near completion of this game.. I'll need people to test it, so I hope I can find some willing participants here! Lemme know what you think
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mihalis; 04-28-2005 at 07:43 AM.

Articles

Good look with your ambitious undertaking. I look forward to any progress you make.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Are you doing this for fun? If it's for another reason, ya know, it's been done before...Even so, how much you've accomplished with RPG Maker is impressive.

Quite an undertaking, but it looks as though you've accomplished quite a bit. I'm free to try some testing if you need it. Out of curiosity, why did you go with FFIII battle sprites?
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Grin Answers to questions... and a question of my own!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Paladin_Cecil
    Quite an undertaking, but it looks as though you've accomplished quite a bit. I'm free to try some testing if you need it. Out of curiosity, why did you go with FFIII battle sprites?
    Quote Originally Posted by Azar
    Are you doing this for fun? If it's for another reason, ya know, it's been done before...Even so, how much you've accomplished with RPG Maker is impressive.
    WOW! I'm amazed that 3 people have responded to my post so far... It's only been up for a couple of hours. To answer both of your questions:

(1) I'm remaking Final Fantasy I for the PC because I always thought it would be great if the same options were available in FF1 that are available in the later FF games (ie. summons, more sidequests, job system, etc). Once I have the game accurately remade, I can then go back and add things, which will (of course) be optional for gameplay.
    One idea that ran across my mind was an additional sidequest from Bahamut, in which you will get a key to a secret dungeon, leading to a dark world, full of all kinds of new things!

(2) I chose the FF3 sprites (I also used FF3 map sprites) because I plan to add additional *secret* classes in the new 'dark world', and I want them to be uniform--No tiny heads and bigger bodies as in the original!
    Therefore the sprites for the original classes are as follows:

Fighter (FF1)
    Thief (FF3)
    Bl.Belt (changed to Monk--FF3)
    Red Mage (FF1)
    Bl.Mage (FF1)
    Wh.Mage (FF1)

Knight (FF3)
    Ninja (FF3)
    Master (or Karateka--FF3)
    Red Wizard (FF3--and yes, there IS a difference!!)
    Bl.Wizard (FF3 Warlock)
    Wh.Wizard (FF3 Shaman)

I will probably draw up some new sprites as well...
    Thanks for your interest!

**MY QUESTION: Azar--when you say 'it's been done,' are you referring to the official remakes, or a fan remake? If it is a fan remake, do you have a link or something? I have been looking for one for a long time!**

Hell, if you're using the RPG2K3 engine, I could help you SCRIPT it a little. I don't know if you're aware of this, but a huge tip about overworld battles: there are only 8(if I remember correctly) encounter squares. Which explains that little area that has trolls that you can get to before the canal is made, if you remember. That strip of land extended into the same square that covers the Cresent area.
    Whore since '04. Selling my skills as an artist and writer.

http://www.freewebs.com/acalhoun/

Default I am working on that right now!! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by udsuna
    Hell, if you're using the RPG2K3 engine, I could help you SCRIPT it a little. I don't know if you're aware of this, but a huge tip about overworld battles: there are only 8(if I remember correctly) encounter squares. Which explains that little area that has trolls that you can get to before the canal is made, if you remember. That strip of land extended into the same square that covers the Cresent area.

It just so happens that the overworld encounters are exactly the part of the game I am working on this minute! Actually, there are 64 encounter squares--8x8. However, many of them share the same monster groups, and I am using a world map and 16x16-pixel-tile grid to mark the regions off.. I have already got the troll spot and the giant/frost wolf/occasional tyro spot taken care of...

The way each region (and each dungeon floor)'s monsters are liad out is as follows:

4 groups that appear 12/64 times each,
    2 groups that appear 6/64 times each,
    1 group that appears 3/64 times,
    and 1 group that appears 1/64 times... 4(12)+2(6)+3+1=64

If you WOULD like credit for helping me, you could work ahead and jot down the dialogues from every person/bat/broom/etc... in each town and dungeon throughout the game (these change periodically with events--ie. Dr. Unne, Sky Warrior bats, etc)...
    Write me at djtrixen@yahoo.co.uk (my posting e-mail) and I will give you my personal e-mail as long as you do not give it to anyone else.

Anyhow, here's an update on what I've just finished:
    *RUN battle command (Certain monsters do not allow you to run, and those that do are now based on party's average level, and probability, of course).
    *Oasis (Desert patch near Onrac) now allows airship landing (as it is supposed to), while still selling the "Bottle" item (those of you who know RPG Maker will recall that typically the airship CANNOT land on events).

I plan to work on the Experience curve next--this is rather complicated and will take a while, but I managed to do it for my Dragon Warrior remake, so I will manage it here as well.

Thanks for your interest, folks! Knowing people are interested in this motivates me to keep working on it!!

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mihalis
    Fighter (FF1)
    Thief (FF3)
    Bl.Belt (changed to Monk--FF3)
    Red Mage (FF1)
    Bl.Mage (FF1)
    Wh.Mage (FF1)
    Why not use the Warrior, Black Wizard, and White Wizard sprites from FFIII?

Default good suggestion...

That's a very good suggestion... I may actually go back and make that change after I have finished the scripting and all of the other important things (in other words, when the game is 'finished').

Default Graphics request...

I would like to add graphics for a few of the shops, if I can. The way I have these set up right now is sufficient, but rather dull... They are:

INN
    CLINIC
    BLACK MAGIC SHOP
    WHITE MAGIC SHOP

What I want to do is have a first-person perspective, where you are standing at a counter with a merchant (inn), wizard (magic shops), or priest/cleric (clinic) facing you in each case.

If you happen to be a good artist and have some artwork you want to submit, either post it here or send it to djtrixen@yahoo.co.uk and I might use it in the remake (of course, you'll be credited!!).

I'm including the current backdrop for each of these types of shops (these are all from Coneria). If I do use your artwork, I'll probably still layer these templates over the top. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

One more minor issue...

As some of you have probably already realized, I have encountered the problem of RPG Maker 2003's 8-monster limit for battles. As you also know, Final Fantasy has several instances where 9 monsters are together in one battle. The most notable of these is the 9-Pirate battle in Pravoka. Here's what I've done to overcome this roadblock... it's one of the few things in my remake that is not perfect, but sufficient:

(1) In the case of the pirate battle, I've added a new monster--Bikke! I modeled him after the BigEYE, taking out BigEYE's special attacks, and changing the stats a little bit--Bikke will be a little tougher than Garland. Unlike the pirates, Bikke will have the attributes of a water monster. He will primarily cast HEAL throughout the battle (healing himself and his 7 companions), unless he is alone. The Gil and Experience you will receive for beating Bikke will be exactly equal to 2 pirates, so the end result will be the same!

(2) In the case of 9-monster random encounters, I typically removed 1 of the weakest monsters in the group, making it 8. Therefore, you will receive Gil and Experience for only 8 monsters.

If you think that what I have done is insufficient, and have a better suggestion, or if you (doubtedly) know a way around the 8-monster limit, let me know. I'm open to suggestions!!

*** (A little sidenote: I recently read about someone who decided to do a Final Fantasy IV remake using RPGM2k3. It immediately occurred to me that FF4 allows 5 party members, and RPG2k3 limits you to 4 party members... I wonder if he thought of that first. I predict that the FF4 remake will never reach completion if he doesn't find a way around that!)***

Quote Originally Posted by mihalis
    I would like to add graphics for a few of the shops, if I can. The way I have these set up right now is sufficient, but rather dull... They are:

INN
    CLINIC
    BLACK MAGIC SHOP
    WHITE MAGIC SHOP

What I want to do is have a first-person perspective, where you are standing at a counter with a merchant (inn), wizard (magic shops), or priest/cleric (clinic) facing you in each case.
    Too bad I'm crap for digital artwork. Mine's all hand stuff. And the only FF4 remake I know of is a quasi-sequal. It's damned impressive, but does in fact only come with 4 characters. And usually you only get 3 of them.

And if you're going through all THIS trouble, wouldn't it be easier just to break out a ROM and an editing program. They've got some very nice ones out there that let you change (in the process, viewing) all the text for all the various sprites. I'll try and find one out there.
    Whore since '04. Selling my skills as an artist and writer.

http://www.freewebs.com/acalhoun/

would be fun if we had a remake of Final Fantasy Legend 1.
    Except remove the weapon Saw or prevent it from working on bosses (cheap to 1 hit kill every boss, even God)

I don't want to discourage you, but if you're serious about this remake project you'll just end up being dissapointed. As has been shown with Nathan Lazur's Chrono Trigger Resurrection project this type of thing is not tolerated. If you get to the point where Square feels you're actually going to release the game to the public, they'll shut your project down.

http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Good luck with this project! Try not to get sued!

I do have a suggestion, though. You mentioned that you want to wanted to add more classes. Maybe you could add a second class change as a side-quest? Also, you could give the player options as to what class to change into, sort of like Seiken Densetsu III. For example, at the first class change, a Fighter could change to a Knight (better defense) or a Gladiator (better offense). Then, at the second class change, a Knight could change to a Paladin (better offense, white magic) or a Guardian (best defense), and the Gladiator could change to a Berserker (best offense) or a Magic Knight (sword magic)... or something like that.

Let me know if you like my idea - I have a lot of other good ones, but this is your project!
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.