Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Serious or silly?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Serious or silly?

Should message board staff be rigid and rule-abiding, or should they take a few liberties and have fun with the whole thing?

Basically, do you think moderators and admins should be professional and responsible - just like in a real job - or should staffing be a fun activity, meant to contribute to the enjoyment on a message board?

Personally, I'm a big believer in the importance of setting a good example and maintaining high standards, without being excessively strict. MBs are meant to be fun diversions from the rigmarole of real life, but too much goofing off leads to a spam-cluttered, unenjoyable environment, as well as inevitable accusations of hypocrisy or favouritism when the regular members get penalised after following or question the lead they are shown by those with power.

Discuss, please - just for curiosity's sake.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I think there are times for both. For instance:

In general, I say have fun with it. Be witty, play pranks on each other or regular members, spam, whatever. In most situations, fun is the perfectly acceptable choice. However, there's nothing wrong with wanting to maintain a more serious, professional attitude, either.

However, there are times with I believe it is absolutely necessary for Staff to be professional. Feedback is one of them. When a member suggests something, especially if they are in some form giving feedback to staff(usually to critique) in a serious manner, than I believe it's necessary to respond in turn. I won't name names, but when Staff members blow someone off(especially using naughty langauge which would get a regular member in trouble), it sets a horrible example and just looks bad.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I'm all for having fun and playing pranks. I don't get paid enough (read: nothing) to be professional.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    However, there are times with I believe it is absolutely necessary for Staff to be professional. Feedback is one of them. When a member suggests something, especially if they are in some form giving feedback to staff(usually to critique) in a serious manner, than I believe it's necessary to respond in turn. I won't name names, but when Staff members blow someone off(especially using naughty langauge which would get a regular member in trouble), it sets a horrible example and just looks bad.
    It doesn't help when the suggestions are really bad. Regular users and staff need to take this forum a little more seriously, anyway.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko
    Yeah, I'm all for having fun and playing pranks. I don't get paid enough (read: nothing) to be professional.
    But then, weren't we offered this job so that we could contribute to the ongoing success of the forum? We all chose to become moderators (except RSL who is chained for life), so I'd say we're morally obliged to do a decent job.[q=Raistlin]When a member suggests something, especially if they are in some form giving feedback to staff(usually to critique) in a serious manner, than I believe it's necessary to respond in turn. I won't name names, but when Staff members blow someone off(especially using naughty langauge which would get a regular member in trouble), it sets a horrible example and just looks bad.[/q]A good point. But then, in many cases there are staffers with different approaches to things. If a handful of staff members are horsing around, does it make the whole team look bad? Does it drag an entire forum into a deeper low? That's what would worry me, if it ever came to that. The idea of a whole forum being dragged into disrepute by a minority.

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by No Big Deal
    (except RSL who is chained for life)

I can't stand automatons who live by the rules of something as recreational as a message boards. There's nothing wrong with a little spammishness every once in a while, whether it's from a staffer or a regular user. I'd say you're safe if about 5 to 15 percent of your posts are one-liners, jokes, spam or whatever. It's supposed to be a fun environment, not an office!

(。◕‿‿◕。) Recognized Member Jojee's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Or, an office of FUN! [img]http://home.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/heart.gif[/img]

Wat
    is
    going
    on
    wtf
    rawr

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I guess there's two sides to this argument:

When staff choose to be staff, they give up their rights to have "fun", and by that I mean breaking the rules and acting in a silly manner as they have to enforce said rules and generally set a good example.
    On the other hand, this would lead to many people not wanting to be staff: What's the point in posting on a message board if it isn't fun?

I guess there just has to be a balance between the two.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

When I was in EoFF staff, I treated it seriously. But that doesn't mean I can't have my fun. So I try to make others enjoy EoFF while doing mod-work and I enjoy it, as I can be serious and silly. :P

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It doesn't help when the suggestions are really bad. Regular users and staff need to take this forum a little more seriously, anyway.
    I would hope that if you're qualified enough to be offered a position of staff here at EoFF, you have enough restraint on the insigificant suggestions. It's not that hard not to call an idea "stupid" or not to publicly cuss out members.

But then, weren't we offered this job so that we could contribute to the ongoing success of the forum? We all chose to become moderators (except RSL who is chained for life), so I'd say we're morally obliged to do a decent job.
    Exactly. Staffing is a responsibility, not a privilige. You were offered the position for the benefit of the forum - not as a reward.

A good point. But then, in many cases there are staffers with different approaches to things. If a handful of staff members are horsing around, does it make the whole team look bad?
    Do the actions of one part of staff reflect on the whole? Absolutely.

Does it drag an entire forum into a deeper low?
    Well, depends on the action.
    But I would imagine it could.

When staff choose to be staff, they give up their rights to have "fun", and by that I mean breaking the rules and acting in a silly manner as they have to enforce said rules and generally set a good example.
    On the other hand, this would lead to many people not wanting to be staff: What's the point in posting on a message board if it isn't fun?

I guess there just has to be a balance between the two.
    Exactly. And that balance is not cussing out or patronizing members in Feedback. I don't think that fits anyone's idea of "fun" except maybe Bleys's.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    I would hope that if you're qualified enough to be offered a position of staff here at EoFF, you have enough restraint on the insigificant suggestions. It's not that hard not to call an idea "stupid" or not to publicly cuss out members.
    Yes, it's not that hard to do any of that, but I'm just saying that the ridiculous posts far outnumber the serious posts. It doesn't look like anyone draws a line between what's all in fun or what's just plain useless, you know? In fact, this, in itself, probably won't do that much unless someone critiques a specific matter or something similar.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Please don't close my Lounge spam thread.

EDIT: I suppose I should submit a real response.

For the most part, I enjoy a staff that is, for the most part, enjoyable, and occassionally allowing certain things to happen, even if they break the rules, like the occassional staff-endorsed spam thread. However, it has to be a tasteful spam thread.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I agree that it is part serious part fun. Some people just have different ideas on what mix to use. I try to be professional and set a good example, but you better believe I'll get my kicks in as well.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

What's the point of being here if you can't have fun? Staffers tend to be chosen because they contribute something special to the community, and shouldn't have to change the way they act simply because they've got a new title under their name.

Of course, that's not to say that the forum staff should endorse spamming or fooling around, but if they can't enjoy themselves like the rest of us then it's just unfair.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.