Thread: FFX Questions

Default FFX Questions

1) Does using a lot of characters in a battle (through switching) decrease the exp each one gets?

2) Are there any worthwhile rewards for playing blitzball?

3) How do I see if a weapon I buy does more damage than my current one?

4) I just fought the sin spawn (near the coast). How long until I can make use of the Don Tonberry AP exploit? Is that a one time thing?

5) Where do I get weapons with a "capture to weapon" command?

1) the ap arned in batlles is divided among all the characters used in that battle, if only 1 participated he get all the points

2)Yes, winning 3 tournamnets (not sure...) gives you a special item needed to upgrade a celestial weapon.

3)i think that weapons damage depend of the abilities, remember that abilities like "Damage+3%" increase the damage (no s... !), and if you atack for example a fire fiend with a weapon with the ice ability the damage will be greater.

4) sorry i dont know much about exploits...... but i think that tonberry its found at omega ruins, and to get there you need the airship, and to get the airship.... you need more playing time.

5) weapons with the capture ability are in the monster arena, to get there you need to reach the calm lands (where you do the chocobo training), monster arena is at the right of the map.

Hope this help.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

1) No, I think that you're wrong about the first one. Monsters give out a set amount of exp to people that participate, and however many take a turn during a battle get that much. If a monster gives 5 exp, and three members take turns, they'll each get five. if all seven take a turn, they'll still get 5 a piece. Use everyone in each battle if you can.

2) You can get some rare items through blitzball, Wakka's other three over drives, his celestial weapon, and the sigil to finish powering it up. The jupiter sigil shows up after you have all his overdrives, and you play tournaments to get those. If you reset after each match, eventually it'd show up without you having to play many games. (I think the lowest possible is 26?)

3) Weapons are more or less alike. Whatever listed abilities it has it has. They don't have inherent stats, just what they come with (which is always listed) or what you customize them with. You'll get to customization a bit later.

4) You have quite a bit of game left if you're just now fighting Sin at Operation Mi'ihen. You should ideally wait until you get to use the Airship permanently, since it'll be easier to capture monsters, but you could feasibly start after you capture the initial ten monsters at the Calm Lands. (Don Tonberry is one of each of the Sunked Cave monsters, iirc. You'd also want a overdrive->AP weapon for this.) You can do it as much as you like, really. Until you have 99 SP and nothing to do on the sphere grid

How exactly do I capture monsters?

Also, is there a better description of this AP trick procedure besides the one at gamefaqs?

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You capture monsters by killing them with someone that has the Capture ability on their weapon.

Go into a battle and there's a dingo. Yuna might smack him for 1 dmg, if you haven't levelled her yet. Auron should come in and decimate it with 9999 if you don't have masamune. And if he has the Beastmaster equipped (I think this is what his capture weapon is called) when he kills it, there will be no pyreflies, it'll turn blue, and you'll have captured it

The AP tricks generally work like this.

Ideally, for the Don Tonberry trick to do the most damage, you would want someone that has fought a lot of enemies (auron, wakka, or tidus) but has very little HP to hit at Don Tonberry. But that doesn't really matter. What matters most is that the Karma return that DT dishes out as a counterattack does a lot of damage. 50000-80000 damage is good.

This will hit the person and them only. If you're using Tidus, Yuna, and Auron, with tidus knowing haste and yuna with autolife and a lot of MP, you could do it like this.

Tidus: hasteaga
    Yuna: Auto-life Auron,
    (defend until Auron's turn)
    Auron: Smack Don Tonberry around a bit.
    DT: Counter with Karma, killing Auron.
    Yuna/Tidus: equipped with overdrive-> ap weapons (better if they have triple overdrive, double ap and triple ap on them too) overdrive stays still, because it's being fed into their after battle AP. oh, and you'll need them to have Comrade overdrive mode set.
    Auron: revives with Autolife
    Tidus: Hastes Auron
    DT: Takes a step forward
    Yuna: Autolives auron.

Repeat ad infinitum. If you have trouble killing him off, you can either try to flee (I think you keep the overdrive->AP ap when you flee) or kill him off with aeons (you only get one shot an aeon though, he'll kill them off immediately)

Thanks. What exactly does the Overdrive-to-AP ability do anyway and how does this work? Does it give you a lot of AP if you take a lot of damage?

Ultimately Ultimate!!!!!! Ultimate99997's Avatar

With an overdrove - AP weapon equiped anything that raises a character's overdrive gauge will no longer do so - instead the guage will stay still and the amount of overdrive you were supposed to get is converted into AP. So lets say that the overdrive mode for yuna was 'stoic' this means that her overdrive guage fills when she is hit by an enemy. The higher the enemy's attack - the more her overdrive guage fills. There is also a relation between the amount of overdrive you get with the amount of hp your character has. If Yuna had like - 2000 hp and was dealt 80,00 damage from Don Tonberry it would raise the overdrive gauge more (the amount of AP in this case) than a Yuna with 20,000 hp because the is a smaller difference in ratio between the stats.

That's why it is best for a charcter to have low hp - be in stoic overdrive mode and have killed a lot of enemies because then DT wil deal a hell load of damage and give you tonnes of overdrive which is converted to AP.

For even more AP you can further customise a weapon with the abilities - triple overdrive and triple AP. This literally triples the overdrive you receive from DT damage therefore giving you triple the AP. AND THEN... the triple AP will times this AP by three again - you will literally get 99 sphere level in one fight!!!!!
    sig in development

Thanks! One last question: does this only work once? Or does Don Tonberry respawn?

Don Tonberry is a monster in the Monster Arena, which means you can fight him as often as you like, as long as you have enough money (around 3-5k gil).

1) I am not sure. I don't think so.

2) Wakka gets more overdrives

3) If it says strength +5 and you have a strength +3 on, you get stonger.

5) Doesn't the dude who wants you to capture the stuff sell it to you?

Quote Originally Posted by ffgirl
    5) Doesn't the dude who wants you to capture the stuff sell it to you?
    Where's he?

Ultimately Ultimate!!!!!! Ultimate99997's Avatar

He's outside the monster arena - it's on the far right of the calm lands in a small crevace.
    sig in development