Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GamePro -> Top 10 Game Series

Articles

Default GamePro -> Top 10 Game Series

I picked up the April issue of GamePro magazine the other day, and I just sat down and flipped through it for the first time. Like most magazines have displayed (often several times), GamePro is doing another "best of all time" feature, this time covering what the staff believes to be the top ten best series in the history of video gaming, and spanning 10 articles across 10 months.

The staff's 10th pick was the Bomberman series. Discuss what you think are the likely series to show up on the list sometime in the next nine issues.

The Mario, Zelda, and Final Fantasy series, I feel, will almost surely be featured (the first two without a doubt, the third with very little doubt). Besides that, after a quick brainstorm, the following series came to mind when thinking of possible contenders:

- Resident Evil
    - Madden
    - Dragon Warrior
    - Phantasy Star
    - Metal Gear Solid
    - Gran Turismo
    - DOOM
    - Grand Theft Auto
    - Street Fighter
    - Megaman

Before this post, I had come up with other, probably more obvious titles, but I've forgotten . Now, keep in mind that these are not necessarily titles I personally want to see featured (the list would look a little different if that was the case), but series I feel could be typical of a Top Series list.

Which franchises do you think will be featured in the series of articles? Which game series, regardless of how internationally popular and commercially successful they are, do you think deserve a spot on this list? Oh, and I should mention that series that have not spawned more than sequel are exempt from consideration, which means that a few popular franchises like Halo and Half-Life are automatically disqualified and own't be making the list.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Sepho; 03-22-2005 at 05:15 PM.

Why is Street Fighter below Grand Theft Crap?

Oh, They put Phantasy Star above most of them, excellent.

Articles

Try reading the thread.

Oh, sorry

Street Fighter
    Halo
    Guilty Gear
    King of Fighters
    Doom
    Final Fantasy <---- It's bound to happen
    Sonic
    The Upcoming Phantasy Star Universe
    Xenogears

And a few others I can't think of at the moment.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Mario
    Zelda
    Final Fantasy
    GTA
    Resident Evil
    Halo
    Virtua Fighter
    Street Fighter
    Mega Man

I did not pick what I want. I picked what they are most likely to pick. If they pick Madden I will go there and murder them with exploding acid bullets...and other wierd evil stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepho
    The Mario, Zelda, and Final Fantasy series, I feel, will almost surely be featured (the first two without a doubt, the third with very little doubt). Besides that, after a quick brainstorm, the following series came to mind when thinking of possible contenders:

- Resident Evil
    - Madden
    - Dragon Warrior
    - Phantasy Star
    - Metal Gear Solid
    - Gran Turismo
    - DOOM
    - Grand Theft Auto
    - Street Fighter
    - Megaman
    those guys don't know what they're talking about :strung: . well, who cares :jap: ? one article doesn't speak for me... :goofy:

I have a feeling I am the only one to accuratly read the thread. I know I was suppose to make my own list but I like to try to predict what they will do.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm
    I have a feeling I am the only one to accuratly read the thread. I know I was suppose to make my own list but I like to try to predict what they will do.
    You can discuss either one. I listed which series I thought were the "usual suspects", and not necessarily those that I would personally pick. Perhaps later, when I have some time, I'll make a list of those which I feel actually deserve the candidacy.

Joel:

Awesome

Articles

How in the world did Bomberman make the top 10?

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm
    LMAO It's like that list of 100 Songs of the past 25 years I listed from VH1. People thought those were the greatest songs of all time and such.

As for the greatest series, I would have given it to FF if they decided to stop at 8. But I'll probably give Gran Turismo/GTA/Metroid a fight for a top 3. I think FF going on for so long hurts its chances, so it should end up at the bottom 5. Castlevania should end up in the middle of the pack somewhere. As for Phantasy Star, it hasn't been putting out the number of games like the other series, nor has it had that many hits like the other series, which is why I don't think it'll make it on the list.

But Bomberman really surprised me. I knew it was a fun series, but I didn't think it had enough hits to be called the 10th greatest.

Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy all deserve to be in there. Especially FF and MG/S, seeing as how they really are the greatest series of all time.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine
    Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy all deserve to be in there. Especially FF and MG/S, seeing as how they really are the greatest series of all time.
    Well said. But I'd also like to toss the brilliant GTA series in there, whether or not it upsets the jealous Joel: It was a truly innovative game when it first started, and it has helped define the PS2.

Street Fighter
    Final Fantasy
    Zelda
    Resident Evil
    King Of Fighters
    Tekken
    Metal Gear Solid
    Mario
    Gran Turismo ( my fav )
    and ( although I dont agree with it ) Grand Theft Auto

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight