Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: abortion

Default abortion

im sure this has been done before, but what are your thoughts on it? personally, i think its one of the most horrible things ever. I personally think that a fetus is a baby, and even if it isnt technically, it is wrong to kill it, because it will be a baby eventually. and maybe there are some cases where it is ok and better, but if i was the fetus, i sure as hell wouldnt want to be killed just because my stupid mother was a horny teenager and had to go get knocked up. and, if i was revived into an adult body, and knew exactly what happened to me, id be extremely pissed off. probably go slit her throat and see how she likes dying.

It is my opinion that what they abort isn't any more of a baby than a sperm or an egg.

Something I don't understand about your view though, a lot of people support abortion only if the mother was raped, or if the pregnancy posed a threat to the mother's health. I don't get that. So, according to that logic, murdering a child is ok sometimes? I mean, if a women was raped and had a child, say the child's 1 now, and she wants it gone. According to the above logic, that would be ok, right? Since there's no difference between a zygote and a baby.

I think that view just shows that even those people know intuitively that there IS a difference between a child an a zygote.

actually, i dont really thinks its right ever. i dont know why i said that above, but i dont. im a little out of it today, sry for spazzing out.

Not even if trying to carry the child to term would likely kill the mother?

well, i think abortion is the same thing as killing a person, so your basically asking me, "is it ok to kill a person to save another person?" and i cant answer that. but, if i was the woman in that position, i would give birth to it, if that would answer your question in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior
    well, i think abortion is the same thing as killing a person, so your basically asking me, "is it ok to kill a person to save another person?" and i cant answer that. but, if i was the woman in that position, i would give birth to it, if that would answer your question in some way.
    But what if BOTH would die? It would be pointless and stupid. Might as well save the mother. By the way, my take is that if the mother has been raped, if it will risk the mother's life, or if the mother is too young to give birth to the child, then that's when abortion is okay. If they're too young, then it may teach them a lesson anyway because probably at least one of their friends will give them a hard time about getting one and it may teach them to use protection next time. But if they're just going around acting like a slut, they don't deserve the priviledge of getting one.

Edit: Just ignore the tiny line in italics please. I didn't really mean what it looks like I meant by it.
    Last edited by Cybele; 03-23-2005 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terra*Aeris
    But if they're just going around acting like a slut, they don't deserve the priviledge of getting one.
    Then the child is punished with a mother who doesn't want it.

i can see your point, but again, to me its killing another person. and in my opinion, you shouldnt "get the privledge" to kill a person because you were raped or whatever. i mean, its unfortunate, but does that mean your going to kill a person just because its an inconvenience? there are things called orphanages if you obviously dont want a child that you acquired from somebody raping you.

now, if your both going to die, then yes, you might as well save the mother, im sure the baby would want that too if it could voice its opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Aeris
    Then the child is punished with a mother who doesn't want it.
    But there are adoption agencies where the child could get a mother that would love it twice as much as a birth mother would (not saying that the birth wouldn't love their child just as much, but there are people who want kids, but can't have them and may have been waiting for that one special one)! Besides, if the child was adopted, the mother could say, "I chose you out of everyone" and that would make the child feel special if someone said that.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm generally torn on the issue, but I tend to lean toward the abortions for everyone! viewpoint. Sometimes I just don't value human life at all. *shrug*

Then again, I admittedly have a bias against people who are so pro-life. I realized a couple of years ago that this is because, when I was 11, we were driving past an abortion clinic that was in town, and protestors were holding up a six-foot photo of a baby head all bloody and brain scrambled. I totally flipped out, and no matter how many sick things I've seen since then, the fact that I saw that at that age has really traumatized me. smurf those people. Right in the ear. I'm shaking just being reminded of it.

I'm pro choice to a point, but after something like the 4th month of pregnancy, when the fetus can actually be proven to be a life of its own, then I think the child should be born in most situations. If you're going to get an abortion, get it early before any potential life begins to develop in my opinion.

Take care all.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

What The Captain said.

I may not agree that people should get an abortion but if they don't believe that life starts until *put in time here* then they should be allowed to do it. We should not legislate our religous beliefs like this at all. I may not agree with it but it is not my right to tell others that they can't do it. They have to make their own choices and live with those choices.

Also it is better for them to have it in place so that it can be administored by pros and not back allies with unsanitary equipment...if any equipment at all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

For the record, as far as I've learned a fetus is believed to be able to feel pain as early as three months into the pregnancy.

Gotcha. How early can a pregnacy be detected?

Take care all.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm foggy on the details, but isn't it something like a 3 weeks into the pregnancy that the heartbeat of the baby can be detected?

I think it's silly to say that abortion is not ok after 90 days but it is ok on the 89th day.

I'm pro-life, but I think it's an extremely hard issue to pick a side on. I knew a girl in high school who had several abortions. And honestly, if this girl had gone through with the pregnancy and kept the baby, she would've been a crap mother. So were those babies better left unborn? I don't know...maybe. I watched the movie Vera Drake last week and just felt entirely conflicted after watching it. It told the story of an old lady who performed illegal abortions on young women who couldn't go through with their pregnancy. "If you can't feed them, you can't love them" - that was the main idea running through the film.

*sigh*

But I can't let go of the fact that these are babies. I don't think of them as a fetus or a bunch of cells, I think of them as developing human beings. And I think abortion, especially in the later stages of pregnancy, is absolutely horrific.

It's all shades of grey.

Edit: The Captain, I'm pretty sure pregnancy can be detected 8 days after conception.