Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FFXI F.A.Q 1.0 //READ BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS//

Star gone! Shadow Staffer Recognized Member eternalshiva's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default FFXI F.A.Q 1.0 //READ BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS//

Final Fantasy XI is an online ONLY game. You must have an internet connection in order to play. There is no offline mode. ONLINE ONLY.

I'm getting tired of seeing these questions every 3 days >.> Can someone stickythis? plzthxs

EDIT: omg edits!!! - adds more questions
    EDIT 2: Lionx pwns
    Edit 3: Added If you had an account before question from Avarice-ness

Q: How do I get FFXI?
    A: Well you can pick up FFXI at a video game retailer, such as Electronic Boutique. Or you can go to Walmart, Zellers, Ebay, Amazon.com, Future Shop, some store on the corner street that sells video games... in other words, look it up in the phone book and ask around >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Lionx View Post
    As for getting FFXI, most do it by mail order or by EB Games, another good place would be SE's own site itself: FINAL FANTASY XI Official Web Site

For system looking: FINAL FANTASY XI Official Web Site I honestly dont know if Benchmark is even accurate anymore.
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice-ness View Post
    I think one good thing to put in here (only because I spent a million years searching for it today) is:

Q:I used to play FFXI but I left for a while, uninstalled it, and no longer have my registration codes, do I have to buy another copy?

If you've opened up an account then the registration information has been saved into your PlayOnline account (which you hopefully remember), so all you'll have to do is reinstall and play.

If you didn't open up an account for an expansion (in which I only installed Rise of Zilart and not the other two) that means that you didn't use your registration, so it's obviously not saved to your PlayOnline account. You can BUY the registration codes from PlayOnline's Official FFXI website found here:

FINAL FANTASY XI Official Web Site

The prices are:
    Final Fantasy XI: Rise of the Zilart Registration Code: $ 9.99
    - Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia Registration Code: $ 9.99
    - Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht Urhgan Registration Code: $ 14.99

As for reg codes for JUST FFXI yeah, you gotta buy a new thing. But seriously, if you bought FFXI and didn't even bother installing it and waited so long you lost everything BUT the disc, you should prolly buy a new one and take better care of it and take it as a lesson learned. :D

Q: Is my computer good enough for this game?
    A: Is your videocard up-to-date? Have you installed a recent version of windows or what ever? has your computer memory been upgraded in the last 4 years? then probably yes. Still not sure? Have I got the link for you! Try the Benchmark test to see how your computer will stand up to the heavy graphics at this link:
    FINAL FANTASY XI - FINAL FANTASY XI Stratics

Q: Does it cost money after you buy the Game?
    A: Yes. $12.95 a month + $1.00 per character. In other words, it's going to cost you a buck a month for EACH character you make. SO if you have 5 characters, it's going to cost you 12.95 + 5 bucks :D For our European players, I know in the UK it's about 8 pounds.

Q: Do I need to use a credit card?
    A: No, but it's easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miriel
    You can use other methods of payment such as debit card or Epassporte
    Q: Is this game time consuming?
    A: Yes. Very. And if you have more than one person in the house playing this game, I suggest a PC/PS2 combo with TWO games. You can't share the same account and play together AT THE SAME TIME, it's illegal. You need two games. Expect to spend HOURS leveling your character or making gil to buy your gear.

Q: Do I need all the expansions to play?
    A: Not really but you can't really get very far in the game without them. You won't be able to access certain areas to exp or to do events with your LS ;o The new areas are very popular and there's nothing more annoying to invite someone just to see "Sorry I didn't buy the expansion for that area." /boot. Assaults, Limbus, Salvage are fun things to do.

Q: If I buy the game now, are the updates included on the DVD set? Would I need to download all of the updates since day 1?
    A: None of the updates are included, when you get to POL, you will begin to automatically download all the patches and updates from the last 6 years. It will take a few hours >_< :choc:

How do I play this game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionx View Post
    Square Enix has since put up videos(incomplete at time of posting) for newb players! Please read on how to move, use items, as well as other basic Adventurer needs! Just dont die like the taru! *arghldksjfa SLOW MOTION DEATH*

FINAL FANTASY XI
    Q: How stable would a dial-up connection be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionx
    Dial up is dependant on your ISP and should be no less stable then cable in theory.
    Q: How do I save?
    A: XD You don't. It automatically saves for you no matter where you are. just make sure to /logout or /shutdown.

Q: Can I solo in this game, I hate having to rely on a party of people to get through a game!
    A: Then this game is not for you. Until about lvl 10-12, you can solo mobs and get experience points easy but after a while, you need to get your butt to the Valkurm Dunes AKA The sands of Doom and start the beautiful experience of Looking for a party. 200 exp a kill in a pt will beat that 36 exp per you were getting before. Plus FF is heavily reliant on Parties for Rank mission, quests and leveling. If you hate it, suck it up to lvl 30 and get Beastmaster, but it's hard as hell to level ^^.

Q: After I get my subjob unlocked, what do I do?
    A: Go level it >.>. Your subjob should be treated like your main job. There's nothing worst than seeing someone at lvl 50 with and underleveld sub and hearing them say *But I hate leveling my sub job, I hate that class* /ptcmd kick "name". Once you unlock it, spend time leveling it. if you only plan to take War to 30, for advance job purposes, then level MNK to 15 and then move on to your advanced job. You won;t have to worry about leveling WAR again until your brand spanking new ADVANCED JOB hits 60. Subjobs are the exact HALF of your main job.

Q: It's my job, i'll sub wtf I want! boo!
    A: No.. In an exp party you sub something that will compliment your job and help the party... Sure experiment have your fun but at lvl 60+ War/rng will not get you parties >.> If you want to sub weird things to experiment, do it when you solo or with your friends, not with EXP parties and if you want to get a pt >.>

Q: Do I really need to do the rank missions?
    A: You don't have to... but I'm sure people will pick the RANK 10 person at lvl 60 than your little Rank 1. Sure, you can pretend to have just changed nations *hahaha* but then they'll be like *Oh cool! you have a lvl 75 job then! What is it?!*plus, you know Rank 5 gives you access to all the airships >.> bye bye chocobo travels XD

Q: How do I make gil/money/cash/pennies?
    A: You do like the rest of us, you farm items and sell them on Auction House. Rabit hides, bee chips, Crystals, sheep skins, go fishing, etc. Or you can pick up a craft, which you'll need gil for XD. One thing to make sure of when you're about to go out and EXP is SIGNET! Signet allows crystal drops and you collect CONQUEST POINTS. CP allow you to 'buy' items from the gate guard and depending on your nations balance of power, you can get some pretty good expensive items to put up on AH or use for yourself. OH and here is where RANK comes in handy >.> You can only access certain items if you have that rank XD

Q: Can you get married in game? Can you get a divorce?
    A: Yes you can get married in game and they don't allow same sex marriages. It's pricey and very popular and you need to be lvl 40 minimum to marry. No, you cannot get an in-game divorce.

Q: Can I play two characters at one time?
    A: You will need to get two games to be able to do that. SE does not allow you to play 2 characters at the same time from the same account. You will need two consoles to duo play, like 2 computers, 2 PS2 or 2 Xboxes. Or any two combination of the three. LAME I know.

Q: Can I get my characters put onto two different accounts, lets say I have two 75 characters on one account but I want to split them up, is that possible?
    A: Yes, I hear that it is possible but you need to contact SE for that to happen. I'm not sure on the details, I'd have to look it up.

Q: What's the battle system like?
    A: It's all real time. It's not turn based, like the PS versions. Mob attacks you while you fidget around in the menus, hence the discovery of MACROS (preset actions by the touch of a single button without having to go through lists and lists of items and spells or actions) Each pt member has a set role and job to do to keep everyone alive and understanding each role and their jobs is what makes a great pt. A paladin that decides he doesn't want to heal himslef or rest between battles = down time for exp. A red mage that does more fighting than enfeebling = down time. A bard that doesn't enhance the party = down time and ?_? *why is the bard there?*. A ranger that doesn't pull? /ptcmd kick rng...

Q: What is a LinkShell?
    A: A Linkshell (aka LS) is like a group of people that help each other and goof off, good way to release steam too when your pt sucks >.> it's that little ball of colour next to your name once the infamous noob '?' is gone XD. You are linked to those people no matter where you are with your pearl on. And you can LS talk with /linkshell or ctrl+l. Some LS are more focused on certain parts of the game, like Notorious Monsters, Hyper Notorious Monsters, Dynamis, Gods, but that's end game stuff.

[Removed MPK question, no longer applies after latest updates :D mobs magically disapear when you die/zone and respawn in original area you took them from.]

Q: Hey! I see that you can BUY gil at these x sites! woohoo! *whips out credit card*
    A: Please do not buy gil. It's against game policies and it encourages the gil farmers to be more annoying with notorious monsters. You are supporting inflation of prices at the Auction House and supporting the gil sellers to monopolize monsters for items.. like the stromper chyme in Ordelle Caves.. Catgirl I will get that thing from you someday >.< LS ownage here it comes mwahaha!

Q: SE is trying to screw us out of money and its nothing like FF! It's NOTHING LIKE FF, it only shares the title!
    A: Well >.> It's an online game. It will cost money regardless what its called. What is your definition of Final fantasy? A world of characters set in a fantasy based story in which holds magical and technological wonders? eh well seems to be a theme in all the FF I have played and this one holds it as well. The story line is fascinating and the expansion packs are just as wonderful. FFXI is a well designed game even if it has its very common problems, like gil seller, NM horders, as*hat players, random DC'ing but I wouldn't knock it until you tried it, the first month is free and it's very fun ^^

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of at the moment.
    Last edited by eternalshiva; 02-26-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Stuff looked weird o.o
    Too big.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yay, thanks for making this eternalshiva. Maybe you should add a huge bold section that reads:

THIS IS AN ONLINE GAME. ONLINE ONLINE ONLINE.
    Last edited by Miriel; 03-25-2005 at 07:52 PM.

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH

Now for all of those who want to ask if its online or not its right here~~~sticky sticky sticky ^^
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Everyday I wish that I could be the one, for you...

Wonderful but you neglect a big question many have.

"can i b cloud? omg he is bada$$ lolz"

Actually a WAR/RNG wouldnt be TOO bad...its not as bad as most subs since the Acc Bonus is +10 Acc and RAcc per job trait with each additional one being 12+ Acc or so.

Rank isnt too important usually :x

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

WAR/RNG isnt as good as SAM/RNG but is ok, but wont do as much dmg as say WAR/THF or WAR/NIN

Nah, but it helps the crappily equipped WAR with Acc XD I am just saying its not as great as a SAM THF or MNK or NIN sub..but its definetly not the most horrible.

Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

what i hate the most is WAR/WHM, they make me laugh

They rock in solo lvls

Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

yes, in SOLO lvls lol

Rank isn't overly important but i'm not taking a rank 1 over a rank 10 when making parties. Even if he may have switched nations. I'm not taking the chance ;p

What about monthly fees. How much per month?

12.95 USD per month.

Thanks to Sagensyg for the sig!

Join us Joel! o.o Let us discuss Fighting games in FFXI! XD

Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Question.

Can Joel join us on the Midgardsormr server?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."