Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why is it that Final Fantasy IX is getting the least attention?

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    Actually, to a lot of people, FFIX was an extremely big deal. FFVIII made it look like Square had completely lost track of what it was supposed to be doing, and FFIX let us know that they realized we were concerned and wanted to let us know that they still care about their roots. It was basically a love letter to all the fans of the older games in the series. If FFIX had been another game like FFVIII, or even a game like FFX, Square would have lost a ton of fans.
    good point. but there was no controversy behind it. most ppl believe that it was a good or great game, and few dislike it. there's not much to argue about. with ffvii and ffx, there's an equillibrium of fans taht like and dislike each. thats why i feel those games get more coverage.

plus another reason mite be because the aesthetic didn't really suit the ppl that joined ff during the time of ffvii and ffviii, because it wasn't a sci-fi rpg. but i think square made the best move by making ffix what it is

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

chaos: FFIX getting the least attention? What about FFII?

As long as you know its a great game and you like it does it really matter? Personally I like FF8 the most a lot of ppl agree alotta ppl disagree? Who cares?

I think it was becaue it didn't bring anything new to the table. Like it says at the back of the box, "... FFIX takes the best of the old and mixes it with the best of the new." The characters are also a major turn off to some people, they seem too kiddish.

P.S any one know how to beat Necron? I'm stuck.
    ......BLAH.....

In reply to help with Necron: Have your characters at ATLEAST lv. 60 and have a lot of remedies or status effect cures like Eye Drops.

Even the mid 50s is fine. The trick is to have Auto Regen, Auto Potion etc...

Have you ever wished you could live in Gaia?
    Immerse yourself in "FFIX- Crystal World" a new rp site that goes beyond the eight main characters and focuses on what was happening elsewhere in Gaia during the rise and fall of Kuja.
    Site opened recently. Original characters still available

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

FFIX is hands-down my favorite. I love Fantasy, and IX puts the "Fantasy" back in FF after VIII completely shot it to pieces. The personality in the game is incredible, the writing is awesome, the story, though a bit predictable, is still probably my favorite...and I really did enjoy the battle system. FFIX is my second favorite game...ever.

I think that the predictableness had to do a lot with the fact that it was inter-woven with the fairy tale genre crossed with legend (which is, in itself, fairly predictable)

Have you ever wished you could live in Gaia?
    Immerse yourself in "FFIX- Crystal World" a new rp site that goes beyond the eight main characters and focuses on what was happening elsewhere in Gaia during the rise and fall of Kuja.
    Site opened recently. Original characters still available

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Kishi pretty much said what I was going to say (as usual). FFIX was great!

Well... it is true that the story is predictable... like you know what will happen next... but the story is still heart-stealing!!!

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

less attention compared to what? Many of the pre-PSX FF games get a lot less attention than FF9. Good game, though.

It makes sence FFIX wasn't popular... although it is one of my favorite video games to date! It's just that with FFVII and FFVIII people started to join the bandwaggon, with FFIX square went back to what they started out with... with what most people (esp in the US) didn't care for. So it's basically because people are so stupid and don't give things that are different enough of a chance

FF9 has to be one of the best FF games ever. Certainly better than FF8.

Quote Originally Posted by GibsonGoth131
    It makes sence FFIX wasn't popular... although it is one of my favorite video games to date! It's just that with FFVII and FFVIII people started to join the bandwaggon, with FFIX square went back to what they started out with... with what most people (esp in the US) didn't care for. So it's basically because people are so stupid and don't give things that are different enough of a chance
    Yeah, you're right. Go, boy!

If only they gave FFIX a chance to show itself its greatness, and set aside the differences, they could see that its a great game like the others!

... am I right? Or... wrong? Hahahaha...

Seeing how i always never look at Final Fantasy IX...I decided to play it and see if this game was really my least favorite of the series. I have a few good things to say (i'm almost done with disc 2) and one bad...it's more of a complaint

A strong start.
    The game really makes a strong start. You're introduced to a band of would-be kidnappers and also get to a cool looking kingdom. Introduction to Vivi was cool, you could explore a lot. The whole kidnapping sequence was hilarious. Steiner was being frantic, you got the cheezy play going. There's that sword fight between Zidane and Blank. I don't think Final Fantasy has started in such a way like IX did with a play, kidnapping, chasing...all that.

Characterization
    I thought the development of the characters weren't that bad. Zidane is obviously girl-crazy but he doesn't show it much, he's really just funny. Steiner is shown to be a stubborn loyal night, but it's funny to watch. Garnet (dagger) is shown to grow up, you see significant personality change. Vivi is the most attached character...you can't help to feel emphatetic to him. Freya was not THAT significant to me, but she is a cool character and a good fighter. Quina is funny to have around, brings comic relief. I like that the party is constantly split...telling different sides of the story

Overall worlds and cities
    This FF is seriously eye candy. There's this big castle's with industrial looks to them. But then there's small villages to look at and they are nicely designed.

Bad/Complaint/whine...whatever:
    Battles....waay to slow
    I put the battle option as fast....battles are so slow...i never look forward to a random encounters.

Monster design
    Something i noticed. I really like 80% of the monsters...but if you notice...the other 20% have these HUGE mouths showing off these HUGE white teeth! I hated it...they don't look scary...just fugly.