Thread: Strategy Guides.

Default Strategy Guides.

well, i was just wondering what u guys think about strategy guides. i myself feel embarrassed using them. i didn't use one for ffix, but midway through ffx i decided i wanted to get everything, so i got one. this trend hasn't stopped, as i've bought a strategy guide for a bunch of games now. mind you, they don't help or describe things like the nemesis side quest in ffx which i've completeled,so i feel they offer some opportunity for legitamacy. neways, what do u guys feel about strategy guides?

i feel their ok if u want everthing, because nowadays games are made so complex that most ppl would never figuret things out on their own. plus, internet walkthroughs don't give pics and fiend stats, etc. just wondering what u guys are thinking. :rolleyes2

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For actually using for help with the game I've never found them that great. Like you said they do have pictures and stuff which I guess could help on some things, but I think gamefaqs.com has a pretty in depth solution or walkthrough for almost anything in the game, and you could get much more information there than from a strategy guide.

I personally bought strategy guides just for the art and stuff and because I like collecting FF stuff. I never really used them for help with the games, until I started a New game plus in FFX-2, and I used it along with some faqs from the net to make sure I wasn't missing anything that time round.

It's up to you though, if you find strategy guides useful and you have more fun playing the games while getting help from them, then you should carry on, but personally I'd just use Gamefaqs if I really was stuck or needed help. The FFIX strategy guide by Piggyback for example hardly had any information on secrets and stuff in, in fact it basically made you go online to find out detailed information. I guess if you want a general walkthrough strategy guides are okay though.
    rawr

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've found that the only thing strategy guides have over gamefaqs.com is pictures, and I don't really need those.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

guides are great because if your going on long journys or you want to draw something FF, all you need to do is flick them open. I gotta admit, when i was in Uni and i was travelling for two hours on the bus i would get withdrawls lol, and it helped sooth them by flicking open my guide and sooaking up all the FF goodness.
    Dont be embaressed, theres things in every FF that tick us off, just enjoy them

My opinion is that strategy guides are like a cheat code. I would beat the game first then try agin and do different things and if I am not able to beat it completely I would try and try again.

I always buy them though I've often completed the game once I have them. I buy the authorised collection version which is bigger than brady games in the EU all round and gloriously official looking. The main reason I buy them is to draw from them as the Authorised Collections are packed with lovely official artwork but I also use them because Im not bothered to spend weeks trying to find secrets in the game or extra scenes or fights I want to play. I just want to be told where and occasionally how.

i agree with destai, it is nice being able to soak up all that artwork, tho theres never enough of it