Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R&B

R&B is rap's wussy cousin.
    Much like emo is punkrock's wussy cousin.

I hate both Rap and R&B because of the type of music, not what they the lyrics say. Its computer generated music, or crappy music just generated by studio musicians hired by the singer.

I base my appreciation for music on the music it self, not what the lyrics actually say. I love rock, metal, and alternative, to generalize. I appreciate the power chords, cool base lines, cool guitar licks, and style of singing in these types of music, especially where I play the guitar. And I also like the energy, and intensity associated with this music.

Rap, R&B, Pop, Hip-Hop, techno, just does NOT do it for me.

I really don't pay much heed to what the lyrics are saying. Heck, its almost impossible to understand what the singer is saying a lot of the music I listen to. Somet of it is hate and anger music, and I'm a very happy person. I just like the energy, and intensity that comes with this music.

Uh......yeah........uh....yeah.....know wha' um sayin'...word up, home-boy.....yuck

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't like R&B music all that much, besides Alicia, but I like the R&B sorta beat in some songs, like Christina Aguilera songs.

Blog Entries

To say the least, I like the old-school r'n'b better than todays.
    R'n'b used to be about connecting with your soul or the soul of a lover, r'n'b reflected the soul of black people.
    In my opnion r'n'b, soul, rap & gospel belongs to us, not to sound racist or anything.

I've always viewed great music as breaching the racial gap: great jazz, great funk, great blues, great R&B, etc, all can blur the lines that might come up.

Take care all.

Modern R&B is the biggest misnomer in the music industry.

Rythym and Blues.

Look at the words.

Modern hip-hop/soul artists wouldn't know a blues riff if it hit them in the face.

RHYTHM AND BLUES

A term used for different post-war American popular music forms derived from Blues and characterized by an upbeat and good vibe. This term was coined by Billboard magazine's journalist Jerry Wexler in 1947, and it was the consequence of the transformation of the rural culture to the urban culture. Rhythm and Blues stands for Blues with a faster rhythm and introduced a the most danceable and popular side of the style to the audiences.
    Some of the pioneers of the genre where Louis Jordan, Amos Milburn, Floyd Dixon, Charles Brown Howlin' Wolf , Count Basie, Jimmy Witherspoon, T-Bone Walker, and Joe Turner.
    During the 60's Rhythm and Blues arrived to the UK, and a "white" new scene was born with artists like The Rolling Stones, Spencer Davis Group, The Yardbirds, Van Morrison, Alexis Korner, Manfred Mann, and The Animals.
    In conclusion, rhythm and blues rocks. R&B sucks.

I think i agree with skog. I used to like R&B. The lyrics didn't bother me at all and the music was alright. Now the artist have just stopped trying. most of them don't even write there own music and lyrics (not that this is new to the music industry ::cough:: Munkies ::cough: R&B is becoming too much like rap in the sense that there is no originality to it. All the artist just use the same basic beats and rythms and dub there own lyrics over it.
    Why do hot dogs come in packs of ten but hot dog buns come in packs of eight?

Don't laugh at people's pain, laugh at their face.

Quote Originally Posted by Palindrome
    I think i agree with skog. I used to like R&B. The lyrics didn't bother me at all and the music was alright. Now the artist have just stopped trying. most of them don't even write there own music and lyrics (not that this is new to the music industry ::cough:: Munkies ::cough: R&B is becoming too much like rap in the sense that there is no originality to it. All the artist just use the same basic beats and rythms and dub there own lyrics over it.
    You can say the same thing about rock, alternative, punk, country, etc. With over a million albums released, there is not one group or artist that is truly original.

As for the lyrics, Usher, Alicia Keys, etc do write their own songs. They'll always have some help for some of their songs, but they do write most, if not all, their music, just check the credits in their albums. You'll see "Written by: Usher."

R&B needs a strong voice, you can't just rap over R&B and call it R&B. If you placed Jay-Z in one of Usher's songs it would never work. R&B singers actually sing. Most other mainstream genres can't boast that.

I'm very much into R&B, soul and Funk... These three genres are one of the genres in music that I listen to the most.