Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much do you think you can tell about a person by what music they listen to?

Default How much do you think you can tell about a person by what music they listen to?

I think what music a person listens to reflects in some way their personality. And I also think that the number of different styles of music a person appreciates reflects their degree of well-roundedness. I don't know of any way to quantify it, however. Discuss?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I thought that was the reason people listened to music? Oh god, you just raped my perspective on the universe into swiss cheese.

If you met me in person, listened to how I talked and saw how I dressed...you would never know I was a rap fan.

If you saw me in person, I bet you'd think I listened to Death Metal. Well, not my profile pics and such, but my blackness.
    Unfortunatley I am not a Death Metal fan; but a Industrial fan!
    (Actually I like everything except rap and hip-hop. And country... :skull4: )

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Hmm maybe with somepeople.. but me.. nah, i look like a pop princess, but im not, i hate pop/hip hop/R n B and all that crap. I aint a Heavy metal fan either, I just like Punk/Rocky types.

Banned

I don't think what kind of music you listen to reflects your personality that much.
    I'm a member of several music forums and you have pretty much all different kinds personalities in all of them.
    Plus, most people aren't interested in music enough to know what kind of music they really like.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Absolutely no one who sees me would guess that most of the music that I ever listen to is Marilyn Manson. The music a person prefers won't show anything outwardly about what their personality is like.

I also don't see what it has to do with the well-roundedness of a person. All genres of music are everywhere in this day and age and almost everyone has heard them all at one time or another to know whether or not a genre is something that they like and would listen to on a regular basis. If they have an ear for just two or three of the genres instead of 15, this does not mean that they're not well-rounded. It just means that they have their preferences and don't feel that they have to listen to more just because everyone else listens to them.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Default !

I dunno, I think that there may be something to telling something about people by their music. You have to think... people may adopt certain ideas and concepts from the music they listen to, because most people can be influenced by an artist's views on life. I've taken on a lot of ideas from the kind of music I listen to...

So I dunno.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Leeza
    almost everyone has heard them all at one time or another
    No one could ever hear something from all genres.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgen
    No one could ever hear something from all genres.
    That's a good point... there are so many... frankly STUPID compound genres that nobody could listen to them all. I mean, what in the hell is "Hard Acid House Fusion"?
    Last edited by Calamity; 04-01-2005 at 05:18 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity
    there are so many... frankly STUPID compound genres that nobody could listen to them all.
    That's a good thing.
    There can never be too many genres.
    Every band can't come up with an own genre though.
    The music needs to be original for them to do so.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I think it's unfair to judge someone by what music they listen to. Different people like different music. In some cases, music might reflect their personality, though in a lot of cases people listen to music that is the complete opposite. You can't say that people who listen to death metal are all people with pent up anger waiting to be released, can you?

That's a good point... there are so many... frankly STUPID compound genres that nobody could listen to them all. I mean, what in the hell is "Hard Acid House Fusion"?
    If people like the "STUPID compound genres" then why shouldn't they listen to them?
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I think it's unfair to judge someone by what music they listen to. Different people like different music. In some cases, music might reflect their personality, though in a lot of cases people listen to music that is the complete opposite. You can't say that people who listen to death metal are all people with pent up anger waiting to be released, can you?

If people like the "STUPID compound genres" then why shouldn't they listen to them?
    Hmm... you're right. There are people who don't follow what their music "embodies", and as you say, it is not right for people to be judged by what music they listen to. I apologise for my statement! As for the compound genres, I wasn't saying that they should just be ignored, what I was trying to say (which I admit was SLIGHTLY off-topic) was that some artists tend to invent their own music styles, and so its hard to keep track of all of the different genres.

Thank you for bringing my attention back to my idiotic post, Heath.

Banned

some artists tend to invent their own music styles
    If the music is new, it needs a name.

And I listen to a lot of death metal.
    That doesn't mean I'm an angry person who digs up corpses and eat them on his spare time.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think you can tell a lot about someone based on their musical tastes if they have a passion for that music. If they don't have a passion for it, if they just "like" it, then no I don't think you can tell anything about them by their tastes.

This thread isn't about whether or not someone can tell what type of music you listen to based on appearance, it's about whether or not you feel you can learn something about a person based on their musical tastes.

Signature by rubah. I think.