Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much do you think you can tell about a person by what music they listen to?

Articles

I'm not sure how effective trying learn of someone's personality by means of the music they listen to really is.

I don't listen to one particular genre of music. I'm a big music fan, and my playlist is scattered with everything from rap, to classic rock, to metal, to punk, to pop, and so on (no country though - sorry, KB). I have no idea what someone would assume about me based on the music I listen to. Or what they could assume, for that matter.

It's easy to think that you know someone based on their musical tastes, but it's all too easy to end up stereotyping their personality based on this single piece of information. It's easy to say that all metal fans are simple-minded, violent people, but that would only be a superficial analysis of their character.

As for listening to a broad range of music indicating that a person is well-rounded, I'd say that the same applies. Just because a person is selective doesn't necessarily mean that they're narrow-minded. However, a lot of the stubborn idiots browsing the internet do seem to bash any genre that isn't their own, so I guess you could be right on this one.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon
    I think you can tell a lot about someone based on their musical tastes if they have a passion for that music. If they don't have a passion for it, if they just "like" it, then no I don't think you can tell anything about them by their tastes.

This thread isn't about whether or not someone can tell what type of music you listen to based on appearance, it's about whether or not you feel you can learn something about a person based on their musical tastes.
    There's at least one who didn't misunderstand me.

I'm not sure if specific genres can yield new information on what kind of person someone is. I do think that there are certain archetypal songs that some people are drawn to, and that maybe a connection can be made in that manner. Archetypal songs exist across genres, so that's the complete wrong way to think about what I'm saying.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My musical tastes at least offer a glimpse into my personality I'm sure.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I listen to what I like. That ranges from J-Pop to Rap to Heavy Metal to Classical music. Favorite group? Don't have one. Favorite style? Don't have one. This all probably makes sense with my personality...random.

from the way i look and act my ex thought i was into boy bands! i am a bit....."blonde" and "pink"

but i'm into, mainly, rock and industrial music! NIN and marilyn manson, smashing pumpkins, Rammstein etc.
    i do like all music though, hanson , dido, justin timberlake, flogging molly, damien rice etc
    i don't like some of the stigmas surrounding rock, i don't want to wear black and wear make-up, i like to be blonde!

Trust No one

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think you can judge someone by what sort of music they listen to, that's just reading too much into things that might not have anything to be read into. However, I think if someone's views on music are very much "I like THIS style, everything else is crap", especially when they haven't even listened to other stuff, might show the kind of narrow mindedness they have in general. I think it shows an open minded person if they can at least appreciate many different styles of music, even if they don't necessarily LIKE them all.
    rawr

I'm pretty sure my musical taste reflects my personality.

Most people aren't that easy to read, however.
    lol signature

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Different people like different music.
    Please.. tell people at my school that!!
    Im always getting skitted for listening to Rock.. pffft..

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Zelda
    A lot of people aren't very open minded, sadly.

OOC:You live in St. Helens? I used to live there until my family moved to Wales. I was born in Whiston.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelda
    Is like that in my school. Oh well, I don't really care.

I think that with most people, you can tell quite a bit about what they are like through the music they listen to...

musical prefeneces can give a deep insight to a person's personality. People who listen to classical music TEND (key word) to be calm and intelectual while hard rockers are energetic not angry. One must always be carfull not to stereotype others purely on musical preference.
    Why do hot dogs come in packs of ten but hot dog buns come in packs of eight?

Don't laugh at people's pain, laugh at their face.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

By looking at me, you wouldn't be able to pinpoint exactly what I listen to, but when you found out you wouldn't be too suprised.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Nothing. I listen to everything.

My cousin came over one day and I was listening to something by Tupac and he was like "wtf you listen to rap? I thought you just listened to that rock stuff."

People who base their judgements off of music or assume they know what music I listen to by the way I look or something sickens me. It's just like racism and homophobia basically, just not in a serious manner.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sometimes you probably could. At least with most people that listen to country. Because usually, you know, they live in teh country. Go figure.

Although I'm not sure that you would guess that i like rock music in languages I don't know.