Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What did We Learn?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Anyone who knew Linus well enough would know that, on 1st April, a suicide thread would be a joke.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

[q=Shlup]Not to my knowledge, and I was on staff at the time.[/q]Ah, OK. I thought someone once said that Bleys knew about it... I must be imagining things.

As BoB says, for people who actually knew Linus, that suicide note would've obviously been a joke; however, I was new to the forum and didn't know what he was like. A couple of days earlier, though, I'd given him advice in EoEO. When I saw the suicide note, my first thought was "wtf... if this is real, then that might mean that he took my advice but it all turned out badly, and now he's going to kill himself because of something I said". Sure, I was assuming the worst, but it didn't feel especially great.
    It was even worse that his suicide note was a copy of a real suicide note some girl actually used when she killed herself.
    In short, it's not something you'd joke about in real life. It pales in comparison to me and M4tt saying, "OMG, Shlup am sux, I QUIT!"
    Especially since one of EoFF's finest members got banned in the ensuing mess.

Basically, as I said earlier, joking about suicide is more distasteful and more potentially harmful than joking about disagreement.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack
    EDIT: After Raist made comments about me being an awful admin I was gonna put my "Best Admin" and Ciddies in my sig but I forgot until just now. Damn.
    I'm glad it was felt appropriate to quote locked LJ entries in Staff, when the good majority of Staff couldn't view them.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    I'm glad it was felt appropriate to quote locked LJ entries in Staff, when the good majority of Staff couldn't view them.
    You said that if staff members deemed it appropriate than you didn't mind your locked entires being posted in the Staff Forum.

And you tell me what a crappy administrator you think I am all the time. Was that even in an entry that was blocked from me? I don't recall.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

In my marked EoFF Staff entries, yes. I was told that not all of the others were left out.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I realized that it's good never to take anything too seriously, and that the staff consists of possibly the most diabolical people on the planet.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    In my marked EoFF Staff entries, yes. I was told that not all of the others were left out.
    I don't doubt that somewhere you may have said it was okay to quote your "EoFF Staff" entries, but I don't think I ever saw that. I only saw you give permission for staff to quote your "locked entries," not just specifically your "EoFF Staff" entries. I apologize for the confusion, but I honestly don't think I ever saw you specify.

I can't speak for anyone else though. I didn't particularly keep track of who was quoting what.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I only saw you give permission for staff to quote your "locked entries," not just specifically your "EoFF Staff" entries. I apologize for the confusion, but I honestly don't think I ever saw you specify.
    I don't remember this, but I may have given permission before my EoFF Staff subgroup to quote from my LJ to promote staff discussion of some sort. For example, my Swear Filter LJ entry - I definitely would have approved of quoting from that in the staff forum. Quoting from my LJ in order to share in your amusement at my falling for you joke is not appropriate - and you trying to justify it by saying I granted "permission" is bull to anyone who has a modicum of common sense and courtesy.

Weren't you like, Ok with this a week ago Raist? You were all "Chill out Bleys and Doom!" Where'd that go?

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have a theory actually.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane
    Weren't you like, Ok with this a week ago Raist? You were all "Chill out Bleys and Doom!" Where'd that go?
    Yep. I tried to defend Staff. And then I found out that some of my locked LJ entries were quoted for the sheer hilarity of it. And then I felt some of what I think Bleys feels. I just got tired of arguing with people I liked, and I stopped being able to think of reasons as to why they shouldn't be mad. I was wrong, and I admit that.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you think your LJ entries were quoted just to laugh at you, that's your choice. If you think that we were wrong to assume that it was okay for stuff to be posted from your locked entries because you said you give "permission to share anything from my LJ with EoFF Staff," I apologize.

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If I had known the extent of some people's reactions I would never have taken part in this.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Likewise.
    I didn't fully agree with quoting from locked LJ entires or very personalised PMs. Fortunately, that didn't really happen - occasionally, someone would say something like "Mr X just made an LJ entry about this, and he's not too happy with the things Shlup said to M4tt". Other times, staffers quoted things they posted in response to those LJ entries. The level of feedback and debate also let us know when it was time to cool things off a little.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack
    If you think your LJ entries were quoted just to laugh at you, that's your choice. If you think that we were wrong to assume that it was okay for stuff to be posted from your locked entries because you said you give "permission to share anything from my LJ with EoFF Staff," I apologize.
    Anything? First you said that I said anything that was "appropriate," and now it's just "anything?" Which is it?

Either way, it was just downright stupid to think that I also gave you permission to share things with other members that I deliberately locked the LJ entry from. The idea that you even can possibly argue against that is mind-boggling. It's just basic common sense - if I did give permission to Staff, it was with the intention to promote discussion on the rules and running of the board - NOT to aid you in the monitoring of your joke. To even suggest otherwise is plain stupid, and anyone who argues otherwise is seriously lacking in either common sense, common courtesy/respect, or both.

EDIT: I guess it was my mistake for assuming Staff would use basic levels of thinking before quoting from LJ - if I even gave them permission. I'll remember in my dealings with them in the future to be very specific, or else they'll find loop holes around what I say(again).