Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coinkidenk

Default coinkidenk

I am sure that many people have noticed a lot of parallels in the Final Fantasy series such as a character named Cid that is somehow related to the airship. I don't think a single FF game has gone without an air ship. The prelude is in every game as well. What are some reoccuring themes you have noticed in the games?
    Why do hot dogs come in packs of ten but hot dog buns come in packs of eight?

Don't laugh at people's pain, laugh at their face.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tactics doesn't have an airship, although it does have an airship graveyard for some reason.

yeah but alot of things in the ff series are the same. names weapons etc

In many FF games the word Crescent appears as a town, enemy, item or character last name. I picked up on this a while back.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    Current RPGs: Final Fantasy XII

It's worth noting that the Prelude doesn't occur in every game (FFVIII for example). However, it's still a series constant, so to speak.

Some recurring motifs, beyond airships and Cids, include:

-chocobos
    -moogles
    -characters named Biggs and Wedge (starting with FFVI)
    -certain weapon, armor, and accessory names (Masamune, Ragnarok, Ribbon [which was first headgear, then an accessory], etc.)
    -Bahamut (summon starting in FFIII plus a role in FFI) and certain other summons, notably Ifrit and Shiva
    -a number of spells (Flare, for example)
    -various enemies (for example, Bombs)
    -starting with FFV, and continuing in VII, VIII, IX, X, and X-2, the idea of superbosses

Then there are more limited motifs. For example, graveyards. FFV had a ship graveyard, FFVII had a train graveyard, and FFT had the Graveyard of Airships.

FFIX is full of them. Check the FFIX forum, I posted a whole list of references to other FF games in a thread not so long ago, so it should still be on the first page.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

-starting with FFV, and continuing in VII, VIII, IX, X, and X-2, the idea of superbosses
    There was some monster in ff2j that was awful strong that you didn't have to fight. I think it was the one guarding the bolt javelin?

The enemy Fallen Emperor (or the Shade, if you prefer) guarded the Bolt Javelin and was optional. However, with 3000 HP, he hardly qualifies as a superboss, even in FFII terms. There are a number of treasure chests guarded by monsters, actually. Astaroth is arguably the most challenging of these, but is still nowhere near being interpreted as a superboss.

Some people like to call Warmech in FFI a superboss, but it's not really that difficult. A superboss, as I interpret it, should be significantly more powerful and more challenging than the final boss. While Emerald and Ruby, for example really aren't that difficult if you know what you're doing, they're both much more powerful than Safer Sephiroth.

One could interpret Omega and Shinryuu in the Lifestream Grotto in FFI-II DoS to be superbosses, especially since their counterparts in FFV actually are. However, I didn't include them in my definition since the whole DoS version is a massive departure from the original FFI, and is notably easier.

Returning to the original point, however, the concept of treasure chests being guarded by monsters has been fairly prevalent throughout the series. That, I suppose, would be another FF motif.
    Last edited by Masamune·1600; 04-09-2005 at 07:29 AM.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Optional bosses have been around since FFII, but super bosses--bosses that are incredibly hard to beat and award you basically nothing but bragging rights and maybe a useless emblem item afterwards--started with FFV.

Blog Entries

The main hero or first character dude is usually carrying a sword (Of some kind).

The strongest weapons are generally, if not always, some kind of sword.

And nobody likes maces too much. And I've never seen a flail, probably because of all this floating mace-hatred.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

you've never seen a flail in an FF game? You must not have looked that hard.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Or, he only plays them past FFVII. Considering that there were flails up until FFVI, I think that's the case.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masamune1600
    The enemy Fallen Emperor (or the Shade, if you prefer) guarded the Bolt Javelin and was optional. However, with 3000 HP, he hardly qualifies as a superboss, even in FFII terms. There are a number of treasure chests guarded by monsters, actually. Astaroth is arguably the most challenging of these, but is still nowhere near being interpreted as a superboss.
    Iron Giant is way worse than those 2 pump chumps. Astaroth can be taken down in one hit. That's right. ONE HIT. Some superboss...

The amount of reccurent themes in FF games could take up an entire book. From monsters to weapons to spells to items to EVERYTHING.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I could write it. Embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    Iron Giant is way worse than those 2 pump chumps. Astaroth can be taken down in one hit. That's right. ONE HIT. Some superboss...
    That's my point. FFII had nothing even resembling a superboss. I listed Astaroth simply because it has more HP than the other monsters guarding the rare equipment.