Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Vaan's feminism...

Square make tons of characters with references in mind. Gackt could easily have been a large reference for making Squall.
    give me an example with some sort of proof... I believe that squares characters are 100% original.

Besides, any pictures of gackt that "remind" you of squall could have been him copying him for all we know, not to mention gackt has so much plastic surgery hes a ken doll.

Actually, Vaan isnt all that feminine, just cuz a guy has blonde hair and is shirtless doesnt make him feminine. They arent exactly human either so our ideals of feminine dont necesarily match up with theirs from their world.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Look at Squall, he had very delicate features and was very slim (and designed after Japanese pop idol Gackt).
    I thought it was River Phoenix, or some dude.

And why is it that google was all ready to agree with me a few months ago when it barely wants to mention the names together now? X.x;

The only reason he looks like he does is because men who look like women is huge in Japan (look at Gackt). It's not because Square is going against the grain to make a main character that isn't a "typical male."

I'll be impressed if the leading character for FFXIII is a really butch chick.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    So how wasnt Squall feminine? Because...? He looked pretty much like a girl to me. Pre-FFVII, you couldnt really tell, except in Amano art. Lock was extremely girlish, was were Cecil, Butz, and so on. They've all been very feminine, even Cloud's Amano art (he even looks like he's wearing friggin lipstick), so it's nothing new. It's just another reason to bitch about new games, because now you can actually tell.
    Squall and Cloud (mostly Cloud) didn't look that feminine in the actual games, I don't think. Like you said, slim, waifish and girly is Amano's style, but not game's style. I'm not really sure what Amano's relationship to the characters' designs are, but his are usually very dramatized, feminized versions of the characters.
    Last edited by Savannah; 04-10-2005 at 03:50 AM.

Beyond Fantasy Sephiroths Clone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah
    I really dont think that that would be likely. It would be very wierd though...

Made by me

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroths Clone
    I really dont think that that would be likely.
    Which is why I said I'd be impressed.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Squall and Cloud (mostly Cloud) didn't look that feminine in the actual games, I don't think. Like you said, slim, waifish and girly is Amano's style, but not game's style. I'm not really sure what Amano's relationship to the characters' designs are, but his are usually very dramatized, feminized versions of the characters.
    Nomura's character design of Squall, which is accurately depicted in the game, looks like a slim, waifish girly man.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice
    Square make tons of characters with references in mind. Gackt could easily have been a large reference for making Squall.
    give me an example with some sort of proof... I believe that squares characters are 100% original.

Besides, any pictures of gackt that "remind" you of squall could have been him copying him for all we know, not to mention gackt has so much plastic surgery hes a ken doll.

Actually, Vaan isnt all that feminine, just cuz a guy has blonde hair and is shirtless doesnt make him feminine. They arent exactly human either so our ideals of feminine dont necesarily match up with theirs from their world.
    Squares a comapny thats notorious for references. I dont mean its characters in general. I mean the references like the ones packed into IX. Go on FFVII citadel, Theyve found a load of possible references to characters names to tie in with that particular character. Being inspired by something doesnt mean you're stealing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    Nomura's character design of Squall, which is accurately depicted in the game, looks like a slim, waifish girly man.
    Right. Amano's art is still a huge exagerration of everyone's girly-ness, though, and is his interpretation of the designs, not the actual designs.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I didn't say anything about Amano. Squall, as he appears in the game, is an accurate depiction of Nomura's design, which is super-girly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    I didn't say anything about Amano. Squall, as he appears in the game, is an accurate depiction of Nomura's design, which is super-girly.
    My post was about Amano and how his art isn't that accurate a depiction of FF art, though. I agree that Squall is fairly girly, but that's irrelevant.

Personally, the dude looks (to me) like Squall... a lot. 'Cept with blond hair. I could totally picture Squall (sans scar) with bleached hair, no shirt and armored gloves/leggings. They could be twins. Not a big fan of femenine guys, though I don't really care for macho either. I'd rather a normal-esque guy that's in TOUCH with his femenine side. Not exploiting it. Not a trans/homophobe or anything, just my preference. Though upon examination, I really can't see this guy as crossing that line. I don't like him, but I don't think he's "too" femenine. Not really his fault though. I'm just not a huge fan of the world they seem to have created. He's just a part of that world. I think in a different setting, especially with different clothes, I could really appreciate his looks better. Just glad he doesn't have a belly-shirt like tha cry-baby Tidus...

I couldn't believe every one was saying Vaan looked like a girl... I didn't even THINK about that until someone said that, but I'm around alot of homosexuals, I have friends are are bi... so maybe I'm just used to it... or something... XD

Blog Entries

Well, I think he looks cool. He looks kinda like a 3D Version of Marche from FFTA, and...well, I forgot his name, but he was the Main Character of FFT. :goomba:

Quote Originally Posted by Kentarou
    well, I forgot his name, but he was the Main Character of FFT. :goomba:

Ramza.

Blog Entries

Thank you! ^_^