Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Vaan's feminism...

Default Regarding Vaan's feminism...

I have noticed that there has been a fair amount of people making jokes about Vaan's feminism. And of cousre there are those who would defend his looks by saying things like "who wants a stereotypical male character?"

My question is this. Are the people who attack Vaan's feminsim being overly critical and sucumbing to the view that every main character should look and act like a total bad ass? Or, are the people defending Vaan defending a badly desined character and maybe are trying to convince THEMSELVES that feminism in Vaan is perfectly fine and that there is nothing wrong with it?

Personally, I think that while Square should not ever create a typical male character I aslo think that there is a certain line of feminism that should never be crossed and that Vaan has long since passed it. But enough about what I think what about everyone else?

Kuja was more feminine than Vaan will ever be. Personally, I could give a rats ass how he looks.

hm... the feminism of a character shouldnt matter to people, chances r its people insecure about their own actions taking it out on something so minimal as an imaginary character... sad but it happens

its a character and seeing as most of us dont know much about him yet we really dont have alot of room to judge.

I think he looks more like a monkey like than feminine . I dont think theres ever been a manly FF hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Destai
    I dont think theres ever been a manly FF hero.
    Fighter, Gus, Butz, Squall, etc. There have been plenty.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't havea real reason aas to why I make fun of him. Perhaps because he's an easy target? I'm not uncomfortable about myself or anything, not in ways that it would come out with me insulting Vaan. =P

Yeah, I wish he looked more "manly", because pretty boys....eh. This will have no effect, of course, over whether I play the game or not, as I'm not that lame. But it' be kind of nice to see a more gruff looking MAIN character.

--Box Box Box Box

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous
    Fighter, Gus, Butz, Squall, etc. There have been plenty.
    I mean main characters. I didnt think Butz was manly in any particular way and neither Squall. Although Id hate to play a game where the main character was a total brick head.

Remember FF9? Zidane looked pretty feminen before we knew anything about him. That's proof not to judge a book by its cover. Im sure Vaan will be awesome.

Beyond Fantasy Sephiroths Clone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Destai
    I think he looks more like a monkey like than feminine . I dont think theres ever been a manly FF hero.

I agree with u very much. To me he doesnt look that much feminin he looks more like micheal jackson and thats bad. Im not saying black mickeal im sayin the white one.....ya know the one that touches little boys

Made by me

I don't have a problem with Vaan's feminine appearence. I mean, come on, Kuja was awesome!(though I will admit it scared me the first time I saw Vaan's picture) However, I'm going to be upset if he acts to much like Tidus. I don't dislike Tidus (much), but he's to whiny and a bit preppy in my opinion. I'd prefer someone more like Cloud. And if he's not anything like either of them, than that works too.
    Last edited by TurkSlayer; 04-08-2005 at 02:22 AM.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Good job having no idea what the word "feminism" means, guys.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

First of all, this is a Japanese game, and hence the design is distinctly Japanese. They prefer men who are far more feminine. Look at Squall, he had very delicate features and was very slim (and designed after Japanese pop idol Gackt). Take a look at EVERY Amano design for the main hero. Slim, waifish, feminine. Granted, that's Amano's style, but it's a very Japanese thing.

Judging a main character by his looks before the game comes out is beyond childish, but it's something I've come to expect from FF fans.

but it is true that S-E are starting to make the male characters look a bit too feminine: Zidane n Tidus...tidus in particular such a high voice!
    Making a slow come back since 2008

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

So how wasnt Squall feminine? Because...? He looked pretty much like a girl to me. Pre-FFVII, you couldnt really tell, except in Amano art. Lock was extremely girlish, was were Cecil, Butz, and so on. They've all been very feminine, even Cloud's Amano art (he even looks like he's wearing friggin lipstick), so it's nothing new. It's just another reason to bitch about new games, because now you can actually tell.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Squall was modelled after Gackt? Dear God I've been scarred for life.

In any event, I don't mind the pretty boys so much so long as they're useful and well-developed.

But J-Rockers are icky