Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Censored stuff

Soylent green is people! Wiegrahf42's Avatar

Default Censored stuff

I've heard that there were some censored scenes. Anyone heard anything specific?
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War room"

You'd be surprised how true the game was to it's script, but there was some ugly translation.

"son of a submariner" no matter what anyone tells youm, was not "son of a *****" in the japanese version.

They don't have "son of a-" or anything similar in the japanese version, and another phrase could have easily been substituted that was a lot less silly.

Anyway, I only know of "Pub" and alcohol references being changed to juice and other things. That wasn't woosley's fault though. I'm not aware of any other censoring but that doesn't mean there isn't any.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

The man in South Figaro who tells you the password wants a drink. I can't remember what it was in the original, probably sake or beer or wine though. It got changed to cider which technically COULD be an alcoholic drink, much like egg nog.

Aming other things:

• Chadarnook's original battle sprite was not as covered by smoke, if ya know what I mean
    • Siren was less clothed
    • Holy was changed to Pearl
    • Some allusions to Duane and Katarin being unwed were removed or something
    • Celes's contemplation of suicide was... erm... removed?
    • Celes's execution was hinted at instead of stated outright
    • Madonna's lines were changed to be less distressing.... or something... I think
    • Various allusions to death and sex were toned down

This was standard for Nintendo at the time. Not wanting to irritate Tipper Gore and her gestappo of doom they reviewed every game made for the console for instances of "adult content". Woolsey managed to sneak some things in by alluding to them. The bulk of the complaint comes from how much stuff he changed needlessly. I tend to doubt he was behind the renaming of every single item, monster and skill in the game, but whatever. It's still perfectly enjoyable.

Celes's suicide contemplations still arise if you fail to save Cid, but they may be slightly different.
    Sigless

From what I remember of the scene (possibly way off) she says something along the lines of "maybe things would be better if I just jumped" and I think she mentioned the birds and flying free..... Then again, it's been a LONG time since I played the game through. I'd be happy to have someone correct me.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

It's been a while for me too, but wasnt there something about a 'leap of hope'? I know she didnt outright say she wanted to kill herself, and I remember the dialouge confusing me because they made it seem like something other than suicide.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Something about people in the old days jumping off of cliffs for the exhilaration of it. Pretty ridiculous.

Death was changed to Doom, etc.

Well If you didnt save Cid she does jump off a cliff. I wouldnt say removed anyway.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

The scene is there, but her contemplation is gone. She jumps, but they made it seem like it was a thing to do when people needed hope, so they made it as vague as possible.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Final Heavan" became Became "Bums Rush" (Which is ironic because I thimk somethin with "Bums" deserves more censorship than "Heavan" :chuckle:

Celes isn't gonna be executed the line where she is told this is replaced with a soldier sayin he doesn't like her shoes.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

He said he wouldn't want to be in her shoes--meaning her position, her situation. It wasn't literal.

Hehehehe.

Yes, he was saying "I'd hate to be in your shoes tomorrow". That doesn't mean "I don't like your shoes", that means "you're gonna die, beeyatch".

Or maybe he meant he was going to pee in her shoes in the morning. I guess we'll never know.

Soylent green is people! Wiegrahf42's Avatar

I read in the wikipedia entry on FFVI that there was some nudity. Hmmm. Also apparently Relm "Swore like a sailor" until the censors got to her. That would make me put her in my party.

"Hey you octopus piece of ! Hold the
    still so I can paint your -ing Portrait!"
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War room"

Good point, bringing up Relm. I wouldn't doubt a bit that she had even moreso of a very dirty mouth--she was created as some little brat kid with an attitude and a wide vocabulary of expletives, I would imagine that they would have had her even more vulgar.