Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excalipur?

Excalipur?

I'm playing FFV on the snes emulator, and I have a sword called the "excalipur." I'm assuming that this is a spelling error and it should be the Excaliber. So why does this sword suck so much for me? Isn't it supposed to be powerful? It says it has higher attack power than any of my other swords, but it only does 1 damage to any enemy I use it on. Is there something I'm missing?

Uh granted I never played through that game, but with just the info you've given I can see what's happening. Excaliber is most likely in that game. But that is not a spelling error. Rather it's meant to be pronounced phoneticly(sp?). Excali-POOR. As in a poor sword. It's a joke. It's supposed to suck. Don't use it =P Look for the REAL Excaliber.

Blog Entries

Didn't you pay attention to what was said in the battle with Gilgamesh?

Excalipoor was supposed to be a trapp made by Ex-Death so that you would think it was the real Excaliber and use it when fighting him... just so that he could kick your ass easier and get the power of the Void and devour all all that stuff etc. However... Gilgamesh come by before the main characters did and since he was unaware of Ex-Death's trapp, HE picked up Excalipoor instead and tried to fight the maincharacters with it.

This adds to the irony of GF Gilgamesh's Exalipoor attack in FFVIII, which caused 1 damage to all opponents. Of course, Excalibur caused heavy damage to all, Masamune even heavier damage, and Zantetsuken was insta-kill.

But, yes, Excalipur is not the real Excalibur (which is one of the Sealed Weapons). You will probably get the real thing fairly soon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by masamune1600
    Of course, Excalibur caused heavy damage to all, Masamune even heavier damage
    That's actually pretty strange since in almost all FF games (including FFV), Excaliber have higher attackpower than Massamune.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I have two Excaliburs, and they both do 1 damage. What's wrong here?

ahhh, thanks for the info
    I guess I skimmed over all the gilgamesh stuff earlier in the game

so basically I should get rid of this piece of crap so it doesn't keep auto-equipping all the time eh?

Blog Entries

If you ever use the throw command, you may throw it. It does pretty much dammage when thrown.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow
    Of course, Excalibur caused heavy damage to all, Masamune even heavier damage
    That's actually pretty strange since in almost all FF games (including FFV), Excaliber have higher attackpower than Massamune.
    Actually, it seems to be split. FFI-FFIII all had Masamune with higher attack power. FFIV saw Excalibur with higher attack; however, there is a caveat in this case. Edge's katanas were intended to be dual wielded; thus, a direct correlation between Masamune and Excalibur doesn't apply. After all, Masamune was the most powerful weapon of its type; Excalibur wasn't. In FFV, Excalibur did indeed have (slightly) higher attack power, although I still prefer Masamune because of the first strike capability. In FFVI, Excalibur is unquestionably more powerful; although the Masamune does not appear to be in the game, that's because it was mistranslated as the Aura (and the Aura was not a particularly great weapon). FFVII saw Sephiroth's Masamune, which had enormously high attack power (99) and accuracy (255). Excalibur was not featured in the game. Excalibur was more powerful than Masamune in FFT; however, Knightswords as a group were far superior to katanas in general. In FFVIII, both were Gilgamesh GF attacks; Masamune was more powerful. In FFIX, Excalibur, a sword for Steiner, was better than Masamune, a double-sword for Zidane. Both Masamune (Auron's Celestial Weapon) and Excalibur (Tidus' non-Celestial Break Damage default) were damage limit-breaking weapons in FFX, but I would take Masamune on the basis of its defense-ignoring qualities. Neither Masamune or Excalibur were the most powerful weapons of their name in FFTA; Masamune100 and Excalibur 2 were stronger. Excalibur 2, similar to FFIX, was the strongest weapon based on initial statistics.

Clearly, they are split, although it seems Masamune would be favored, if either.
    Last edited by Masamune·1600; 04-15-2005 at 02:01 AM.

u know wat i always thought should have been a devastation combo,
    is if u had excalibur and excalipur equipped,(both) it should do massive damage!

Blog Entries

Actually, it seems to be split. FFI-FFIII all had Masamune with higher attack power. FFIV saw Excalibur with higher attack; however, there is a caveat in this case. Edge's katanas were intended to be dual wielded; thus, a direct correlation between Masamune and Excalibur doesn't apply. After all, Masamune was the most powerful weapon of its type; Excalibur wasn't. In FFV, Excalibur did indeed have (slightly) higher attack power, although I still prefer Masamune because of the first strike capability. In FFVI, Excalibur is unquestionably more powerful; although the Masamune does not appear to be in the game, that's because it was mistranslated as the Aura (and the Aura was not a particularly great weapon). FFVII saw Sephiroth's Masamune, which had enormously high attack power (99) and accuracy (255). Excalibur was not featured in the game. Excalibur was more powerful than Masamune in FFT; however, Knightswords as a group were far superior to katanas in general. In FFVIII, both were Gilgamesh GF attacks; Masamune was more powerful. In FFIX, Excalibur, a sword for Steiner, was better than Masamune, a double-sword for Zidane. Both Masamune (Auron's Celestial Weapon) and Excalibur (Tidus' non-Celestial Break Damage default) were damage limit-breaking weapons in FFX, but I would take Masamune on the basis of its defense-ignoring qualities. Neither Masamune or Excalibur were the most powerful weapons of their name in FFTA; Masamune100 and Excalibur 2 were stronger. Excalibur 2, similar to FFIX, was the strongest weapon based on initial statistics.

Clearly, they are split, although it seems Masamune would be favored, if either.
    Hmmm... seems like you're right! I never bothered to think that much about it. I just thought about it being more powerful (having higher attack power) in IV-VI. But still... since FFV is the game that Gilgamesh comes from, Excaliber should have been a little more powerful in FFVIII... and it should have done Holy-based dammage as well. Actually... that's probably another thing that makes Massamune become slightly more useful in FFV. It's non-elemental while Excaliber is Holy-elemental. I've always prefered non-elemental.

Remember how you got it from Gilgamesh and it sucked when he used it? It's 'cos the thing sucks. It's Excalipoor, not Excalibur.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Pur.

Take Ultima Shadow's advice and throw it at a difficult boss. It does uber-damage.
    "I'll get you, Eh! Steve, if it's the last thing I do!!!!!"
    -The Wheelchair

My dream will never fade! MoonZapdos's Avatar

Yep, no other use than that one. Sorry but that sword really sucks.