Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Excalipur?

Blog Entries

Unless you want to play a challenge game with that equipped to your best fighter.

well I have the real Excalibur now...so yeah...

i never thought to throw it, it's useless other than that. anyone check it's sell value? might be worth alot, might be worth 1.

it has a high attack Stat, but it doesnt do any damage. i thought for sure there would be a sidequest later in the game to activate it's potential... but i havent found.
    there are some things i can see at last, the voices of angels i can never grasp, the sights of sore eyes that i will despise, until dusk turns to dust and birds turn to flies.

There is no sidequest to enhance Excalipur, unfortunately.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

at least it doesn't suck as much as the thornlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayward
    i never thought to throw it, it's useless other than that. anyone check it's sell value? might be worth alot, might be worth 1.
    Yeah, I just sold mine. Didn't want anything to do with it and I ended up getting 1 gil for it. Bleh. :P

Boco Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by MoonZapdos View Post
    Yep, no other use than that one. Sorry but that sword really sucks.
    I disagree.

As with most obscure "junk" or "joke" items in Final Fantasy, there is indeed a valid use for even this weird sword, even if it's a niche use...

In Final Fantasy V, "Excalipur" (or Excalipoor depending on your version) always does one damage. What is not immediately evident is that it ALWAYS hits.

Always. This means that even with 255 evade anyone getting hit with this thing cannot dodge the blow and said blow cannot miss.

So, what do we do with this? Remember those gray squirrel-like things called "Skull Eaters" that first appear in the Jacole (or Jachol) Cave? The ones that are incredibly hard to hit and who will totally wreck the unsuspecting lowbie party? Did you know those things only have 1 hitpoint? Did you also know they're worth quite a lot of AP? 5-10 actually, depending on how many monsters are in the formation. IIRC they also split into multiple copies when hit with magic but since they hit rather hard this might not be a smart move.

Anyway. The Excalipur is the perfect tool to farming those little gray bags of ability points. Smack one with it and it invariably does the one damage it's supposed to and kills the enemy in swift order since their hpmax is 1.

In my view this is a valid use for Excalipur that you should make use of before you hurl it at Exdeath's face for 9999 damage.

Another glitchy use for Exalipur is to use it in combination with Goblin Punch. The coding that makes the sword (and a few simiar weapons) do a fixed amount of damage (in this case, one) is bugged when you use Goblin Punch and it instead uses the "full" attack power of the sword. I do believe that THIS particular use of the sword has been patched out in the later versions of the game, but it does work in the original SNES/Super Famicon version. The same buggy code still works with "throw" though, so feel free to chuck this at an enemy of your choice when you're done farming squirrels with it.